Is it okay to even have a pet as you age?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find a pound dog that has a likely future of being euthanized. The pup's life with you, even if it ends up being shorter than you had hoped, would be the infinitely better one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wow and yes I get your troubles.

Sorry for your loss but one thing I say with my horses I had to put down and my dogs, cats, livestock on the farm etc. is that they lived the best darn life with ME vs. being out in the world maybe having it so much worse. So for the life they lived, while they lived it was a good one I gave them. That comforts me.

And thing is I know this problem and think about it also.

Do you get another pet and 'what if' out in the wild it is IN the rv and can't get out. Bad all around if you pass and the critter of choosing is stuck to wait it out.

Great info on putting 'call ASPCA no kill shelter' to handle my pet emergency card and info. if found in rv etc. and alot of good thoughts on this thread.

Thing is I would put your health issues into perspective. Do you know something can go wrong right now? or just guessing.......cause if guessing then I would get a pet, probably adopt an older one on death row and save him from a certain fate to 'just live life with ya' how it falls. We can all 'what if' but what you do to save a life is better than ya doing nothing and worrying you might hurt a life down the line ya know.

very interesting thread and I know the feelings you are discussing cause in the end, alone and me and a pet? I will just weigh it all out and probably still get the pet LOL Love is to be shared and kindness to be given to animals we declare as family but if we pass then it is the life they will finish as it goes down ya know....we can't truly ever control that part as much as we try! We can only always hope for the best for mankind and animal kingdom alike.

Where are you dingfelter? Why not come to YARC Camp? We leave tomorrow morning from Kentucky and will be headed that way.

It's hard to read this topic, I have had at least 1 dog for the last 20 years and I can't imagine not having one now. Yes I have had to bury a few, but I get another as soon as I can. I prefer rescue dogs, I will NEVER buy a pedigreed dog again, there are to many just ol plain dogs out there, I don't really what breed they are, but I prefer short hair types. I currently have 3 dogs and when ever they look at me with there sweet little puppy dog eyes at melts your heart.

I made two options one I asked a neighbor/ friend if he would take my dog and two I asked a couple of rescue people I like and trust if they would take her and keep her. If she lives since she has a heart condition. In exchange I am leaving either whatever I have (money) when I die or a large chunk if I have more than expected (I don’t have kids.) As I get older I absolutely will not get another dog if I can’t find someone I trust to take her. I have a disabled brother who can’t care for himself so to me I don’t care if it’s a child, an animal or a disabled family member once I become responsible for that being I have to make plans in case I die. It’s horrible to leave something out in the world who can’t care for itself.

I killed my dog too. Almost 14 months ago at the vet and it hurts every day. He wasn’t ready mentally but I couldn’t bear seeing his physical pain and drugging him up every day so he was barely conscious. It was the hardest decision of my life.

His story before I got him was unbearable and I only had him 14 months and he was the dog of my heart but I trust that I did the right thing by him because I let him go even though I didn’t want to. I wanted him to be free of pain. I hope I gave him a good life that he never had before. I’m sure you did the right thing by your dog. The least selfish thing.

I have heard that there is a dog in this RV park who owns the place, with paid caregivers after the owners death. There must be a lawyer or other guardian who manages the arrangement. I have always thought this was a little weird as well as expensive.  -crofter

LOL I’d leave my money to my dog before any humans I know. I’d worry though they’d keep her alive suffering just to ride the gravy train. Pardon the pun. I do think it’s fair to leave money to someone you trust for your pets’ care.

I knew someone that worked with birds at a zoo, they said they had more then a dozen parrots because a parrot will live for 90yrs and old people 5-15 years. The parrots would yell and fight like an old couple and the people that used to own them.

My used-to-be client is 88 years old and has a 30 year old parrot.  Had to give it up because she couldn't give it the eye drops it needed to prepare it for cataract surgery. Her parrot will certainly outlive her, even blind.  Bad idea, IMO, to plan your old age around things that can't possibly work out well unless you'll never die.

OK I have made a decision. I am trying to get on the waiting list for a puppy in April, so I will have to stay in good shape for the next 15 or 20 years- for the dog. That is too funny. But I will have to say that just getting on the list has made me perk up already.
-crofter

crofter said:
OK I have made a decision. I am trying to get on the waiting list for a puppy in April, so I will have to stay in good shape for the next 15 or 20 years- for the dog. That is too funny. But I will have to say that just getting on the list has made me perk up already.
-crofter

Easier said than done.  You have set quite a task for yourself. Luckily, being that you chose a dog instead of a cat, you will have every possible incentive to take care of yourself by taking care of the dog, what with walks and all.  And hopefully long ones. Not the half-fake shorty ones.

I live in a retirement community basically, almost everyone 60 or older.  Might as well be. The ONLY people I see walking our hills have dogs. Not a single person without a dog have I ever seen walking.  Even most couples -- one person walks the dog, the other doesn't.  Everyone else stays inside and gets much older much faster.

I hope you keep you and your new soul's life in delight by taking a good long walk every day and sampling the brilliant sweet air that God gave you both just for a lark, just for free. If you could ever possibly forget to enjoy it and value it for what it really is, you'll have a pal to shake you out of it and remind you of its glory.  And then congratulate you for it like you invented it.*

The dog people have never responded to my email. It is quite possible that I am not up to snuff for an AKC hound anyway. I am looking at the dog pound dogs. In AZ there are quite a few chihuahuas for adoption, I wonder if they speak English or Spanish?   ~crofter

crofter said:
The dog people have never responded to my email. It is quite possible that I am not up to snuff for an AKC hound anyway. I am looking at the dog pound dogs. In AZ there are quite a few chihuahuas for adoption, I wonder if they speak English or Spanish?   ~crofter
If chihuahuas are not the bity-est dogs, they are extremely high on the list.  Dogs bite mostly from fear, and hardly any dog has more to fear than a chihuahua. Not sure that is not the best choice for anything but a very special isolated house dog.

Re AKC, there's a big range between Show and Breeder and Pet breeds.  You might well get what you want by taking your time and looking around.

My main impetus behind saying that is that not only do you want to get a healthy breed, the kind without obvious faults and faults you may not suspect bred in -- besides the idea that you may well save a lot of money if you look around and are patient -- but that you might also consider breeds that are not so entirely overbred.  You're pretty much signing up for trouble going in with that kind of breed.  I wonder if you might consider a small terrier instead.  You might save a lot on vet bills and get a healthier, better-bred dog.

I am looking at the smaller mutts, altho the adoption ads always want to put a breed to the dogs whether it is true or not.   ~crofter

On petfinder.com you can set a few parameters like the size of the dog you are looking for.

crofter said:

I have 2 Chihuahuas and I can assure you they DO understand English.

Dingfelder said:
If chihuahuas are not the bity-est dogs, they are extremely high on the list.  Dogs bite mostly from fear, and hardly any dog has more to fear than a chihuahua. Not sure that is not the best choice for anything but a very special isolated house dog.

My little Chihuahuas are the most friendly dogs around, never any sign of aggression, my little black and white doesn't have any teeth so she can't bite, I call her 'my little old lady dog'.

I did try to feed my Chihuahuas some Hot Salsa and Jalapeños, but they refused, since they are Mexican dogs I thought why not!!