Is it okay to even have a pet as you age?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'is it ok to even have a pet...?" I feel touch of lightheartedness when I read the thread title... reminds me of my favorite answer to the question: "Should I do/have (fill in the blank)?" Answer: "Not if you don't have to". A few years ago I was lucky to find a sweetheart of a dog that would not have survived shelter life, lost her last year, and blessedly now have another. Hope to have a dog for the rest of my life. Simply, for me, it's a privilege to care for such a soul, makes me want to be a better person.

I rescued a dog that would have been euthanized..... so despite my retired state, is it better to have given this dog life, or should I have let it be killed?
Same here... and I think she knows it. I’ve saved her life in other ways too. It took a little time for her to gain trust... but once she did now it’s anxiety to not be with me like 24/7. Very fulfilling to give an animal a good life when you know she’d be dead if you didn’t. The gal who ran the shelter that I got her through gets the biggest kick outta what I’ve done with this dog. If you can afford the rising vet costs, can adequately feed and take care of a pet I totally encourage having one. Worst case they end up back in a shelter which is not ideal if something happens to you. But you can enhance both yours and the pets life by having a pet. And whether young or old you are human and something could happen anytime.

Plenty of other answers, including that a life is a lot more than head of lettuce to me. Isn't it to you?

Fair enough?
everyone gave opinions and great answers based on their no fear of living their lives to the fullest with pets but key being many won't restrict their enjoyment in life from fear. Now if you fear owning a pet for whatever reason you feel in your lifestyle, cool. but in the end you can justify that to you, but not to those who won't have that issue you do. So many fab posts on the board truly from everyone but if you feel you should not own one, by all means please do not own one!!!

Speaking of being geezerly and having a dog....my dog is also getting geezerly and now has trouble jumping up in the 4runner. I can pick her up but its really hard on my back, she being about 75 lbs. I stumbled upon a folding step set made form this purpose. Its a bit pricey, but looking at cheaper alternatives, the better grade one looks like a safer investment, safer for the dog and safer in the long term financially, as some of the cheaper ones had pics of bent parts etc.

As I suspected from looking into this in the past, ramps are not always easy for dogs to maneuver, and are bulky. Some of the reviews and comments on various steps also said their dogs were somewhat intimidated by a ramp, and it put stress on their hips. The steps seem to alleviate those issues once they get used to using them. I made a large wooden step in the past to help one of my old dogs, but I cant get current dog to trust it (I think its still too large of a jump up), nor can I take one along like I had in the past. The folding one looks like it will work out for my use better. We shall see in any event, as its on the way.

I ordered a 5 step aluminum one thats on their scratch and dent sale. My deck height I needed to make was 30", so it will be extended out farther with less rise per step and longer exposed step treads, both of which should make it easier to use.

https://www.petloader.com/how-to-choose/

My pet kitty. Can't figure out why she doesn't purr. When I can no longer care for her I'll release her into the Arizona Desert. Just kidding. Other animals like this sand goanna make good pets and they attract attention when walking them in the park. Great chick magnets!DSCN2081~2.jpg

That is a chick magnet?!....not this chick HAHA but yea a definite diff. pet. But the critter is stellar as I am an all in animal lover :)

@Malamute, we do what we can and truly you are doing so well.
my little guy, 17 lbs NOW should be 10 as he is a Papillion but with med issues we can't get this extra weight off him and when I gotta carry him far, yea, he is a heft I don't wanna carry, but darn we all do for our pets...good post!

Every individual has to decide for themselves what they think about having a pet during any stage in their adult life. Plans and circumstances can and do change sometimes in a single day.

agree and tons of that info on board per person, cause it IS SO darn personal but if one is healthy and wondering if they might pass' thru some issue as an entire guess if healthy on the road?? Just add age limt? There is no limit for those who can do it and those who are? most who think too far in advance loses out in life of what ifs. Some of us are older but we sure ain't dead yet and hope we won't be if known health is good right now, so to know even consider helping critters have good lives on this planet is wonderful. Crime to opt out thru fear of what ifs.

just saying fear and narrow minds and more...........but IF ONE truly has health issues and might expect to pass on the road thru? person med stuff.....yea no darn pet!!

I am in my 70s. I certainly do not consider that too old as I would likely outlive a pet except maybe a parrot.

Last edited:
I am in my 70s. I certainly do not consider that too old as I would likely outlive a dog. I do not have a pet but the reasons have nothing to do with my age and everything to do with expenses and lack of space.

Agree, Im early 60s and feel like Ive got another couple dog lives in me at least, depending on the dogs.

Im very much a dog person, its difficult to think of not having one. I expect Ill have one as long as I can realistically take care of one or whoever is taking care of me at some point can take care of.

I am in my 70s. I certainly do not consider that too old as I would likely outlive a pet except maybe a parrot.
Not at all certainly and definitely not a parrot! Some live for 30 years and more!

Not at all certainly and definitely not a parrot! Some live for 30 years and more!
my little parrot is 29 yrs she is the love of everyone, except hubby, she only tries to bite him as he had to rescue her once when she got tangled in sticky fly paper. After more than 20 years she still doesn't trust him.

A pet is not a toy to be given away lightly. They are living beings that make attachments. Dogs have masters. Cats have staff. Parrots have roommates. Pigs have caregivers. Mice and gerbils have maids. Chicken and geese can be affectionate and have a real protective streak for their family flock members.

I will never rehome any critter without knowing that they are going to be well off and appreciated.

I will never rehome any critter without knowing that they are going to be well off and appreciated.
whole thread is about 1 owner and 'maybe' a back up you deem fit if ya can do that but to own a pet and its future life is without you in control. Happens ever single day, 365 thru the eons so?? we get that control you think ya have but?? and I agree with u that we all WANT that but??

we do now have big control on pets literally thru 'wills to handle' and family and more but if one does not? so the stipulation of total control over pet life can't be that ever...so?? It is what is as controlled by every higher human person on this life to make do for pets but there will never be a blanket statement of what suits us all. Good post in that you showed you and your opinion.....but damn how many billions of pets and critters on this Earth ya know and always taken down to 'this one pet?' and about all others are just a forgotten mist. means nothing? yea hard row to sow on the world and what we deem fit in our indiviual lives and our connection to natrure. SO WARPED it is insanity on 'pets' vs nature critters' and more to me. All of them 'can't win against us' and we do it daily thru massive extinction of 'them' out there. So sad truly. OK JUST a chat on it all from me and the overall chat LOL

Last edited: