Is it okay to even have a pet as you age?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I decided to get my first ever "for me" own dog, I used websites that had questionnaires about the human's lifestyle and home life and temperament etc. And suggested breeds that fit best. Then I researched breed iasues of the best matches. Then I found the best, smartest, sweetest, most beautiful papillon in the world. She did have an overbite that made her "imperfect" as a breed representative, but neither of us cared. I miss her all the time. I don't miss the groomer bills tho!
I highly recommend doing that kind of research for the sake of both the pet and owner.

The couple I rent my S&B from just got a new rescue puppy and will get another in early Jan.

I'll get the benefits of puppy-sitting but few responsibilities. Mainly keeping them safe from coyotes.

So based on this poll I have a 50 % chance of getting a sweet chihuahua vs one that bites. Growing up we had a sweet one that was part something else, so not a tiny dog. My dad called her Heinz57.  -crofter

crofter said:
So based on this poll I have a 50 % chance of getting a sweet chihuahua vs one that bites. Growing up we had a sweet one that was part something else, so not a tiny dog. My dad called her Heinz57.  -crofter

I have never called one of my dogs that, but have had numerous Heinz 57 we just called them mutts!!!!

I heard a few years ago there was a pack of wild Chihuahuas running around Phoenix.

Both of mine are sweet little dogs.

Chihuahuas are as good as they are handled to be. Just like Rotties, Pitties, and any other breed.
The breed differences have a lot to do with energy, focus, pray drive etc. Oh and hair, or more like how much you want to deal with dog hair. I love big fluffy haired northern breed dogs, but I don't ever want to deal with that much dog hair again. Same with labs. I love my working class dogs they are so good at being focused on what ever.
My issues with Chihuahuas is their size, They are know as Eagle and Owl and Coyote food around here. If you plan on being out in the wilds that may be something to think about.
My dog is huge, something I may rethink for the next one. Even so, he is not allowed out after dark on his own here.

I used to have a Pomeranian that liked to go outside at night, (we have a dog door), and bark at whatever was out there, I called her Owl Bait.

One of my Chihuahuas got out not long after I got her and was running down the alley. When she got to the end she didn't realize the neighbors had a Doberman. It take her long to put on the brakes and head back to the house.

All of this Chihuahua talk reminds me of the best kid pitcure books to read out lout, ever - Skippyjon Jones. Skippyjon is a Siamese kitten that imagines he's the leader of a gang of fierce Chihuahuas. They're the kind of books that are actually fun for adults to read, and kids love them, too.

IMO, little dogs that are armpit piranhas are almost always acting out of fear and can be rehabilitated. They need to know that they are not responsible for protecting their owner, and also that their owner isnt afraid of or for them. All of that requires thier person to treat them like a real dog, and expect them to have good dog manners by training them. Nervous people make for nervous little pets, ya?

One of my Chihuahuas HAS to be in my lap at all times, good thing she is small and take up a lot of space. The only time she leaves my side is when she going outside to potty, at night she has to sleep right beside me.

It makes it harder to roll at night. I also have a Chi-weeny dog, she's sweet but dumb is a box of rocks. She has to sleep down by my feet, so by morning time I'm laying sideways in the bed.

The Chihuahuas don't get along with Weenie, most of their disagreements is who gets the best spot on my lap, or who gets first pick of the table scraps.

Ravella and X said:
Nervous people make for nervous little pets, ya?

Absolutely.  The temperament of a dog can directly reflect the temperament of its owner.  A friend of mine used to have a huge parrot that would only bite me when its owner came in and would panic that it might bite me.  

Well ... yeah.

Ha! My first 80 lb Pit got chased around the dog parked and terrorized by a teacup poodle, my last 85 lb Pit got taken down about 5 times by a 10 lb Chihuahua mix that lived nearby and used to escape and my current Pocket Pit was attacked by a Frenchie who also escaped his house and my dog lost. She was on the ground until the Frenchie’s owner pulled it off and my Pittie’s face was covered in bloody bites.

My 25 lb Cairn Terrier Max was fine with little dogs but tried to attack a German Shepherd, a Pit Bull and a Golden. I’m far more afraid of little dogs than big ones. Especially Chihuahuas and especially packs of them. Ferocious little things! LOL Best guard dogs!

What’s the old saying? It’s not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.-Mark Twain.

The main reason for attack is fear.  And no dog has more reason for fear than a small dog.

And no owner has more reason for fear than that its small dog is under attack, or that he may be held liable for it, so expect the owner to attack too.  And then say it's your fault.  After all, who ya gonna believe?

That’s the sad and infuriating thing is when my Pits have gotten attacked and tried to defend themselves it’s their fault. Never once has a single one of my dogs started a fight except little Max the Cairn.

My current mini Pit is a 67lb chunker who loves people and dogs. She was kept in a crate her first 2.5 years of life. She loves the dog park. But unfortunately I can’t allow her to play with dogs outside the dog park because when another dog starts it’s always her fault. It’s been eye opening having Pits.

It's kind of like that in human life. Often someone is arrested because they beat the crap out of someone who is punier but is the one who started the fight.

Back in the day it was the big guy who sent the puny guy in to start the fight so he could clean up on the unsuspecting.  Age-old trick probably still operative.  

So whatever way, you win you lose or you lose you lose.

I think cage, or a life with an old owner. It's not a hard decision after that.

What about adopting an elder dog that would probably die at the pound? A life in a cage or a life out on the road with you....I think the dog would rather be out on the road with you. No matter what.

Grieving a loss takes time. But if the weepy stage goes on and on you can try taking some chromium supplements. Our bodies can get out of whack with an emotional state. Not eating right, loss of minerals that keep our blood suger even is one of the things that can lead to that constant tearing up blues fugue state. Chromium helps regulate blood sugar and is the precurser for the release of endorphins that help us get rid of the weepy blues. You will still miss your pet if you take that supplement but you won't be overwhelmed into a deep blue fugue state of mind when you think of your pet.

If you are a diabetic do not take chromium without first talking to your doctor about it. Otherwise it is mother natures miracle mineral for what is called atypical depression. Available in most places with a vitamin mineral supplement aisle. No prescription needed, not expensive.

As to wether a senior should or should not get a pet. ..There are too many factors involved to say yes or no. A pet can be a burden or a life saver in a seniors life. I dont have one because I cant afford to do a good job of the pets medical care. I also do not have the daily, reliable energy it takes for dog ownership. A dog would be good to have but I could not fulfill its basic needs so I would feel constantly guily. So no win/win, which means the better choice in my own personal senior years is no pet. Decisions that include resonsibilty to others should have logical thinking applied. If you are still emotionaly overwhelmed just wait a while until your blue fugue, weepy state calms down. Then you will be able to figure out pet versus no pet. You wont need outside advice, you will know what works best for you in the here and now.