Is it better to get all cordless tools, with 12 volt charger to...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toilfreelife

Reaction score
....charge them all from my van (starting) battery (I have a "topping off" solar pad for it),  or get a relatively heavy gas generator that will power all the carpentry/handyman tools I already have?  Don't have solar other than aforementioned.

Here's the rub, I plan on moving to AZ within days, setting up residency, and start helping, either for free or for whatever the person can afford, people who really need to "home" out their rig so they can reasonably live in them without dying or being very uncomfortable.

My problem is I must commit to one way or the other. I haven't the endless room for both generator/big gas container (sitting on my roof rack)--- along with a whole host of cordless tools/chargers. Plus, I can't afford (monetarily) to buy and maintain both. I have to be lean and mean to be able to accomplish this task.

So,  due to the slowness of response on this forum, and my not owning a laptop at moment, I ask experienced people, having lived and worked in the boondocks to call/text me with their best advise.  By the way, I'm an experienced 30 year carpenter/handyman (union and non-union), so I'm positioned to really get a lot of people on their feet fast if I can get set up just right.   

760 681 4926, Rich

I've temporarily moved from total solar to total generator. Solar wins. AZ? Free energy from the sun! Hands down superior.

The Dire Wolfess

I was planning to go cordless with extra battery pack. Several brands have allot of power tools with the same battery, that's what I plan. I don't want all different battery chargers to Hassel with.
Adding a solar panel also depends on how much you will be driving. Of your helping someone out, you may be there for days.
Generators, the only one I would consider is the Honda, small yet very quite. I have no clue if it will do what you want but it's quite.

Now, where can I meet you to help me, I am way over my head. I have been researching hi g for a year on Pinterest, YouTube, and the net. All is great but they rarely mention two things, skills and money. I have gone from beautiful built ideas to looking for a milk box for a bed. Oh, and searching Craigslist for anything I could possibly use.
It looks so easy online. Those that doention price suck hellium.
Good luck
Jackson

If you are not going to be welding or ripping dozens of pieces at once, space is a limitation as well as dollars, you don't have mechanical skills to maintain a generator and you will be working off grid using light weight materials I think cordless 18volt or better tools that can use the same 4 or so batteries that can be charged with a vehicle charger would work. If grid power was available or a propane generator that was easily maintained was available, space isn't a problem as you have a tool trailer already, you need a welder, table saw, joiner/planer and cann't afford to buy or replace cordless tools then maybe if I thought I would be working those tools 40 hours a week I would say cordless wouldn't work. I have built complete camper tops and rebuilt camper trailers using cheap Ryobi 18volt tools. The "One" system battery with vehicle charger has been good enough and can power fans and lights that other brands don't. Dewalt tools have a large following because they have in the past worked better and longer but at a price and their batteries styles have changed over the years again becoming expensive. All the cordless companies have some sales yearly at slect outlets or box stores usually starting in the fall through christmas so look for them if you go that route. Space is usually my problem as clamps ladders and materials can take a lot of it.

Your starting battery is storage, not a power source. And really not effective storage, too small, not deep cycling, and if run down may leave you stranded.

Your solar is not a significant power source.

While driving, your alternator is.

A genny is required for powering shore-power tools off grid, and if that is for hours at a time, can also at least partially recharge your tool batteries.

What you really need is a lot of solar, assisted by your genny and alt, and a largish deep-cycling House bank. And monitoring tools.

Or just a largish deep-cycling House bank with regular access to overnight charging from shore power.

The convenience of cordless is worth it imo. 18v Milwaukee fuel tools kick ass like you wouldn't believe, charge quick and have great battery life (with the high capacity batteries). The majority of ryobi are great too, with the exception of the circular saw and 1/2" impact wrench.

I got into the Ryobi 18V tools early on, and there were a disappointment with the old NiCad batteries.  Was going to give up on them, but decided to try the Lithium Ions when they came on the scene, and glad I did.  The difference was night and day.  The only batteries I use for real work are the biggest 4.0 Ah ones.  They go on sale with some regularity at 2 for $99-probably the best deal going for this kind of battery.  They charge up fast on the lime colored quick charger.

As mentioned above, the circular saw is lacking.  OK for light work like paneling (really good for it, as a matter of fact), but doesn't have the power or size to get heavy cutting done.  I have one of the oldest model, so maybe the newer ones are better.  I've been satisfied with the impact wrench for the price.  I have a regular drill (at least 10 years old, fallen off ladders, been in the rain, etc., and still works fine) impact driver, hammer drill, impact wrench, jig saw, circular saw, reciprocal saw (has been really useful for all sorts of jobs), miter saw, vac, a couple lights, small router, high volume inflator, and the tire inflator.  So far, I've had zero failures on these.  The only tool that I wasn't happy with was the radio, which seemed to drain the battery way too fast.  I brought that one back.

Ryobi and Milwaukee are owned by the same company (TTI of Hong Kong) and probably are produced in the same factories in China.  People in the trades and very passionate about their tools and preferred brands, and since Ryobi is sold in the US only at Home Depot, and is looked at as a homeowner brand, they can get looked down upon.  But, for the money, they are a really good deal with a ton of options and the least expensive batteries.

I believe you only get warranty on Ryobi by buying at HD.

as far as the original question. for doing conversions I would say go with cordless. go with a good quality set. I am not going to give an opinion on which one I think is best because it will start arguments. highdesertranger

One thing I would like to second is a good isolated house battery or jumper battery until you determine your drive/charge time with your usage.

There is another option - get a real house battery setup that charges off your alternator and an inverter big enough to power what you have now. If you're spending a lot of time in the van you'll probably want that anyway. Then add solar if you're not driving every day.

After you've been living this life for a while you'll have a better idea of your needs and can decide if it's worth investing in cordless tools.

Update on my cordless tool situation.  The weak point in the Ryobi 18V lineup (for me) was the circular saw.  Now I have the brushless 7 1/4" circular saw paired up with the new 9Ah battery, and this thing gets the job done like a corded saw (adding a Diablo blade is a good idea!).

Also picked up some Milwaukee 12V tools  (screwdriver and brushless impact wrench).  They are awesome tools.  I'll probably be using these instead of my 18V tools to high degree.  

Ryobi 18V and Milwaukee 12V would be a very solid lineup for someone starting out in the cordless world.  I've pretty much abandoned my corded tools.

I have a mix of tools. Seeing as my roof has about 620W of solar (w.260Ah AGM's & 1000W inverter), I can use many 110v power tools, and I do. I also have some 18v Ryobi portable tools and some 12v drill/drivers that I've modified to plug into my 12v sockets. ..Willy.

I like my Ryobi 18V lithium stuff. The 5-1/2" circular saw doesn't have a lot of oomph but I'm not running a production line, either. It does what I need for plywood and it is big enough to slice 2x4's. The 1/2" impact has eaten everything I've thrown at it so far. My original drill has had plenty of not-commercial use and still runs fine.

The first set I bought had the multi-chemistry charger recalled. Beware of that if shopping used.

You are thinking power tools as in battery or plug in. But you can use hand saws for much of the work and it will only add a couple of extra hours time to the build. That was the way it was done for most of human history and it still works.

If you have thicker plywood you can have much of that cutting work done by the place where you buy the lumber. Some places do it for free, others for a small charge.

If you wanted to create face frames for cabinets it can be done with a hand miter saw far more accurately than with portable power tools. I use a Jorgensen 64016 for making cuts that need to be accurate for cabinet joinery. For instance the frames for my cabinet doors that have a panel insert. I need true 90 degree cuts for those and I have yet to meet a a bench top or battery operated power miter saw that can cut nearly as square. The Jorgensen saw has different blades available for it, coarse too blades for cutting which is fine for a lot rapid cuts for work that is behind the scenes and not seen on finished surfaces and fine tooth blades cut for finish grade cabinet pieces that are visible. Plus there is also a general purpose medium toothed blade. You can even have a beginner use of these saws as the cuts are guided by the frame of the saw and they have hold down clamps. I teach children how to do woodwork with the Jorgensen saws but I usually put the on the smaller and less expensive 64005 model that does not make compound miter cuts.

Quit thinking like a carpenter who is going to be building a house out of heavy timbers and thick sheet goods. You need to learn how to design van interiors that are both light weight and strong. You don't need heavy duty tools for that work. You don't need a skill saw that can cut through a 4x4 in one go. You don't even need one that can cut through a 2x4. If you want a strong leg then make an L shape out of 1x3 pieces and it will be sufficient to support the weight of a human male. That means even if you want to take along a circular saw you can get by with a 9, 12 or 18v 3-3/8 or 4-1/2 inch sized one versus the big power hogs that contractors take along for cutting through 4 by lumber. They work just fine for panel goods and for cutting 1x lumber. If you do find occasional need to cut a 2x4 just do a pass from each side to cut through it.

A good battery operated impact drill driver is very likely worth taking along if you are going to do a lot of projects. It is handy for vehicle repair work and removing stubborn bolts and drilling through steel. It does saw a fair amount of time as you will drive in a lot more screws than you will be making cuts in lumber.

As far as generators, once I realized I did not need to take along any big power hogging tools I knew I could get by with a small generator. I found a good deal on a used Honda eu 1000i. It is light enough that I can lift it,small enough that I can find a place to store it quiet enough that it does not drive me insane. I don't have enough roof space for a large solar farm.

One of my favorite hand saws is sold at Habor Freight and will fit in most draws but be careful it is super sharp. It is a Japanese style sort of flush cut saw. The blade is flexible and is a pull saw if I remember correctly and has fine teeth all the way to the end of the blade. I have at least 3 in my tool box because I keep loosing them. They are just a thin rectangular blade mounted in a straight rectangular wooden handle I have used them to cut hard and soft wood and they are cheap enough after they get dull you can use them on sheet aluminum. They will fit into small spaces and make cuts you wouldn't be able to do with any other saw. I have cut 2"x4" wood but it takes a while. It takes a little practice to make a straight cut as the blade felex needs to be watched out for. They are great fo flush cutting wooden dowels after glueing.

There's a lot to be said for using a portable drill with the right socket to raise and lower the jacks on an RV or trailer. It's so much faster and easier and takes muscle power out of the equation. What a relief in the rain or snow or dark, especially, to get that kind of stuff done as quickly as possible.

KroFlite said:
Update on my cordless tool situation.  The weak point in the Ryobi 18V lineup (for me) was the circular saw.  Now I have the brushless 7 1/4" circular saw paired up with the new 9Ah battery, and this thing gets the job done like a corded saw (adding a Diablo blade is a good idea!).

Also picked up some Milwaukee 12V tools  (screwdriver and brushless impact wrench).  They are awesome tools.  I'll probably be using these instead of my 18V tools to high degree.  

Ryobi 18V and Milwaukee 12V would be a very solid lineup for someone starting out in the cordless world.  I've pretty much abandoned my corded tools.

Good to hear.

Go cordless and buy the best you can afford, stay with one battery, if possible. I have Milwaukee 18 volt, but I would have been happy with Makita or Dewalt. In any build as you would know you don’t spend hours on saws. I charge my batteries with a simple low amp converter that I plug into my cigarette lighter, which I paid 14 dollars for at an auto shop. It works, I also use the same one for my DVD player. It may take a bit longer to charge, then when it is plugged into a wall but it is very manageable, I have two tool batteries, you might want three the new ones charge very quickly, I have a rapid charger. This would be adequate for any van build. I have 140 watts of solar but I wouldn’t be afraid to use my starting battery for a couple of charges if I didn’t have solar. You can do a lot of building with three charged batteries.

Keep the tools you have and invest the money in a good house battery setup. You need batteries so you can turn the lights on at night and work without having a generator making noise 24/7.

My advice is you start with a couple of six volt golf cart batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. That will handle your biggest tool load.

You only need the generator to keep the batteries charged. Some people are able to keep their batteries charged with solar panels and the alternator. If you do need extra power the generator doesn't need to be big enough to power your tools. It's to keep the batteries charged when you're not getting enough power from the sun or the alternator.

The only time your generator will be running continuously is when you need air conditioning. So when you shop for generators think about how much ac you need. A 2000 watt generator is plenty but even a 1000 watt is enough for a small window ac.

Also you might find that the people you're helping already have a generator. But you need a good house battery. That is paramount. You can't be going outside to start the generator and wake up the entire campground every time you need to turn on the lights.

And you never never never run anything off your truck battery. That's for starting your truck. You need an isolator so the house battery doesn't drain the truck battery. And cordless tools suck. They have their uses but for doing work like ripping boards and cutting sheetgoods those battery powered skilsaws just can't keep up.

Latest posts