Is AARP Worth It?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Day Dreamer

Reaction score
Now that I am in my 50s I get AARP letters weekly. Is a membership worth it for you guys already out there? What type of benefits are you seeing?

My dad died over 10 years ago and still gets junk mail from them at my home about every week.

I mark them deceased, send them back and hope they have to pay return postage on every one.

I wouldn't join if you paid me....

https://www.fairwarning.org/2018/03/aarp/

WanderingRose said:
We joined early on, found there to be limited benefits but a deluge of mail and solicitations, so dropped our membership and haven’t missed it.

Same for me. I felt like I was paying someone to put me on a giant mailing list. Dropped membership more then a decade ago, don't miss it.

When still in a S&B I received enough junk mail and had no need of anything AARP, AAA auto club or any other distraction that would ring my phone or clog my mailbox looking for money. For senior info and most health related topics go on-line for those specific answers. Your going to end up there eventually anyway.

just my 2¢

Besides some discounts like fast food places and lodging it was suggested to me for their Medicare supplemental insurance as it appears to be one of the better cheaper plans. I just toss most of the mail as it contains a lot of requests for political donations and they are an insult to me.

The AARP also supports strict gun-control measures, and is anti-2nd amendment.

I will not help finance an organization that wants to disarm us by restricting the legal ownership of legal firearms.

I joined AARP for health insurance. I stopped the junk mail with a phone call to AARP

Thanks everybody that is what I suspected. Many places give senior discounts without it anyway.

AAA might be a good idea though.

The best reason of all to join AARP is the nationwide United Health care discount for Medicare supplemental insurance. That insurance provides nationwide coverage.

Yes they do a lot of advertising but after putting in some effort, a lot at first and then on occasion later you can get all the solicitation efforts stopped. It is not just AARP that does that. You will also get them from United Health Care.

Almost everyone does that, their marketing plans put you on the list automatically and it takes some real effort to get off those automated list.

Day Dreamer said:
Thanks everybody that is what I suspected. Many places give senior discounts without it anyway.

AAA might be a good idea though.

A friend of mine uses AAA, but told me he gets a limited amount of tows per year. I have roadside assistance and rental car with GEICO for about the same cost and no limit to how often I have to use the services.

Check the fine print on auto insurance roadside assistance, mine pays for towing.... but only $100 max per tow.

I don't have AARP.I sure get a lot of advertising from them.From what I can tell,They do a lot of promoting old farts agendas.Some of their positions I agree with,some I don't.I do agree with their promotion of gun safety and support stricter rules for gun ownership.

nah, didn't sign up for AARP. I can get other discounts etc when needed without bothering with this...we were never interested in it.

Latest posts