Is a high top REALLY that much better?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my kyocera 130 watt framed panel on my fiberglass roof.

mountedpanel_zpsddc2bfb2.jpg

It can be tilted 90 degrees toward either side of the Van, although I rarely tilt it ever.

In 2012 I added a Unisolar pvl-68 stick on panel for 68 more watts. This does not fit the crown of my roof perfectly, sticking up about 3/4 of an inch on one spot.

049_zps9df11a1f.jpg

If I had to do it over, I'd make 4 corner feet like I did for my 130 watt panel, but I'd get a huge 300+ watt panel. These corner feet are fiberglassed to the roof.

I built a mock up panel when I was making the corner feet, and keep it ass low to the roof as possible. The curve of the roof ensures proper ventilation.

Painting my panel frame white also helps keep it a bit cooler and slightly less noticeable

You do NOT need a flat surface to mount a solar panel, it just makes it easier if it is.

e819ea9ec26dac5a43a74a2e4539119a.jpg

from a mental aspect,the hightop is priceless. spending alot of time in such a small space. i defentally appreciate being able to stand n stretch. plus it give more room for farts to float up high n out of nose reach.

Is there a common distinction between "mid-top" and "high-top"? What would a standard Explorer conversion be considered?

Numerous variations and heights exist, from a variety of designers and makers.  "Midtop" is subjective.  As I am rather tall, if I cannnot stand up in it I call it midtop.   My E150 top is about eight inches taller than the standard top.  I stoop in it.  "Hightops" tend to be much taller, also called "bubbletops" and "Camper tops".  Many Class B RVs like Roadtreks use the midtop.  Another term I see is "TV Top" which is a midtop with higher front center to hold a small TV.
So one may use "mid top" for a certain vehicle while another calls it a "High Top".

ascii_man said:
Is there a common distinction between "mid-top" and "high-top"?  What would a standard Explorer conversion be considered?

A lot of the conversion manufacturers try to call all their conversions 'high tops' simply because it's higher than the standard roof.

My high top is about 24" and gives me a finished interior height of 6'2" after I lost almost 2" with flooring and ceiling insulation and panels.

The conversion vans like Explorer typically use a low to mid 'high top' so that passengers can comfortably manoever into the captains chairs without crawling in to the seating arrangement. I find them almost totally useless since they don't allow even a short person like myself to completely stand up.

So to answer your questions, no there is no common distinction and the standard Explorer would IMO, be a raised roof. I don't consider them to be a high top

I keep hearing these skeptic comments about how a roof mounted deck for solar panels is gonna significantly increase your fuel consumption.

Really??
A mile or two at best, but significantly worse??? I have a very hard time believing that.

How are you mounting this thing?? Sideways to the wind??

actually I think it could decrease your fuel consumption if designed properly, for example in Sternwakes pictures ( by the way nice job) if he were to have flared out the whole front section so air could move over the top as well as flared it back at the rear of the solar panels at about 12 to 15 degrees and continues onto a camback you could possibly end up with a better aero roof then the existing one.

"give more room for farts to float up high n out of nose reach"

The most popular "high top" I see usually available is the 24" tall.  Checking with the two primary high top vendors there are some available in thirty inch height.  Great for us tall folks, but would exacerbate the problems too.

One Awesome Inch said:
A low top is cheaper to heat and cheaper to drive (less mpg).

Once I am in my van I just sit in an office chair and easily enough reach everything.

So in your opinion is a high top really that much more comfortable and is it worth it considering the increased costs?

My 2 cents. I did a lot of van camping when I was young and supple. I loved my standard full sized van. But even then, not being able to stand to move around or change clothes was a pain, especially if I was rained in for a few hours. Now, nearing my seventh decade, I would not take a low top vàn to live in if it were free. Depending upon your age and how hard life has been on your body, having to crouch whenever you can't sit or lie down is going to get old. It will play havoc with your back and your temper. If the van is going to be your home and you can afford the extra comfort, don't skimp.

Me and Vic added up all the vans we've owned and came up with 6.Only one was a hightop.I think I prefer the lowtop,just because of being pushed around by the wind when I'm driving.The height issue didn't bother us that much.We're low people.

So of the vans I see for sale, most are low-top, and a few are "mid-top" or "TV-top". Do you guys install your own higher tops?

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, but it's hard for me to see anything more than an Explorer mid-top/TV top as stealthy.

Me??

I'm a doer. I don't care to have others work on my equipment.

That said, I'd go find a matching high-top at the junkyard, buy it, and swap it over to my van myself.
I was going to do this to my last van 2 years ago, but ended up selling it instead. (I now wish I hadn't have done that!) :(

I can pretty much roll around in my office chair and reach everything in my standard (factory) top, factory e150 height. Changing isn't a problem for me, but if it becomes one with age I'd just add it at a later date.

ascii_man said:
Maybe another question is this: Is a "TV top" (apparently about 12" for an Explorer http://www.explorervan.com/chevrolet_chassis_dimention.cfm) actually worth it?  It's not enough to fully stand up, but you lose a low-top's ability to fit into parking garages.

Yep, typical "TV Top".  Has a bit more stowage space above cab than my mid top that drops down lower over the cab.

Here, you can see how my top drops down in front.  The TV Top remains higher over the cab.

f83t3.jpg

The van I just purchased has a mid-top (TV top), but they've lowered the floor in a central strip between the wheel wells so there is 6' head room in the central corridor. I found that preferable to a high top, although it doesn't create anywhere near as much storage there's less drag and a less unwieldy overall height.

karenishere said:
The van I just purchased has a mid-top (TV top), but they've lowered the floor in a central strip between the wheel wells so there is 6' head room in the central corridor.  I found that preferable to a high top, although it doesn't create anywhere near as much storage there's less drag and a less unwieldy overall height.

Is that a handicap van?

Nope, just your standard mid-90's class B Dodge 350. It doesn't look like you can stand up in it but with the depression in the floor, it works.

I have a hi-top, but it's a minivan so that doesn't mean much.  I can't stand up, but I can set my bunk to a comfortable height and not hit my head when I'm sitting on it.
I can also kneel on the floor (I do this when peeing or tucking in my shirt) :p  without bumping my noggin on the roof.  I also like that I can stretch my arms up over my head while driving and only barely reach the ceiling above me.  :D  

As someone said in another thread (I think it was Bruce).....  If I want to stand up, I'll go outside.

Latest posts