INTJohn's Winter Truk Livin' 4 '22-'23

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the beach shots day use areas, or can you really find over night campsites?

Most of the Florida State Parks I go to have a designated campground area unless it is closed due to hurricane damage. However, I never stay overnight in Florida campgrounds of any kind: national, state, city, county or private. Never; did I say Never? and I mean NEVER!
no not ahapnun;
kampgroundz ain’t jonny boiz wurl;

View attachment 33720
Damn; this beach flag is missing something. I’m trying to place it. Really I am. Can’t quite think of it tho. Ole man dementia kikin in? Idk 🤷🏻‍♂️
Wha tha hell is this beach flag missing?
View attachment 33721

Hmm wish I could think of it.
Well it’ll come to me………
GO BLUE!
jonny boi luzsha baybee alway have alway will
Iowa Hawkeyes Football GIF by University of Iowa Hawkeyes Athletics

Close. But I think you meant this. Corrected it for ya. GO HAWKS...

A Reactionist will always think Genius is idiocy……

jonny boi livin the dream
Very few of us are perfect. I was a huge BLUE fan the end of last year, but it didn't work out for me. Could have been worse. Could have been a Buckeye instead of a Hawkeye, but then the colors wouldn't match up...

8 March ‘23 Somewhere near Jacksonville, Fl

Been bouncing back & forth “frum here to there, eventually” as I need to kill a week somewhere and I’ve gotten really bored….

It appears that one last cold front will move thru this area in a few days to a week or so, hence its abit too early to move into Ga and not worth traveling 2 or 3 hours south to gain but a few degrees.
Sooo here I sit with my self handcuffed constraints…….. I know: First World Problem!

My friend who found the meg tooth (cupl posts back) sent me pix of a shell she found while diving off Key Biscayne. See below.
06208925-AF73-4A68-9FCE-88405A64BB26.jpeg
It’s either a Queen or King Helmet. Very nice find and yes! M envious as, while I’ve found a couple decent size Helmets; they’ve been busted up some. This one she found is a very nice find & glad she shared.

jonny boi standing fast in a holding pattern.

Park the truck in a nice AirBnb driveway, take a nice long hot shower and kick back a few cold days in a nice warm space. Do some touristy things so when it warms up you can appreciate how much better your truck life is, especially in good weather! Everybody needs a break now and then! Lol!!! Had a buddy living in Noth Dakota I asked what he did for entertainment during the cold winters. His reply was hop on a plane to Los Vegas for a week! Lots of wisdom in that!

Park the truck in a nice AirBnb driveway, take a nice long hot shower and kick back a few cold days in a nice warm space. Do some touristy things so when it warms up you can appreciate how much better your truck life is, especially in good weather! Everybody needs a break now and then! Lol!!! Had a buddy living in Noth Dakota I asked what he did for entertainment during the cold winters. His reply was hop on a plane to Los Vegas for a week! Lots of wisdom in that!
Ummm………No.
cold for NE Florida is still a lot warmer than just about any place else in Murahka and I don’t really do anything “people” especially “Tourist”.

0E9E788E-D40C-4B33-9B68-BA204E515446.jpeg
Yesterday after my 5 mile hike. What a beautiful site! The state park beach parking lot all to myself! Cold windy days at the beach can be a great thing. Not one other MF human being anywhere in site! Yes what a beautiful sight!

jonny boi getting caught up on his undistracted thoughts……..

I’ve spent most of the last 14 weex barefoot; wearing shorts & t shirts; sleeping in my underwear under a beach towel…….
…….now it’s time for long pants & long sleeves and trying to remember how to put my socks on and tie shoes.
Gawd! How the hell does a sleeping bag work?
Hey jonny boi………google it!

17 Mar ‘23 Somewhere near Beaufort, SC
Yes; I’ve left Florida.
After a warm last weekend it was a cold windy & rainy Monday BUT! it kept everyone off the beach at Clinch State Park. Grabbed the poncho and away I went looking for shells. Found 7 knob whelks and a couple lightening whelks so was a good day shelling thanx to a complete lack of competition. Thanx weather!

Monday evening with the cool off moving thru decided it was time to leave Florida where I’ve been roaming, beach hop to beach, for much of the last 4 months.

Spent Tuesday at St Simon Island, Ga doing what I do and Tuesday eve drove into SC where spent Wednesday at Hilton Head. After a day there moved on to beautiful Beaufort, SC where I’ll prolly be hiding around thru the weekend.

jonny boi sayin Ciao 4 Now

24 Mar ‘23 Somewhere near Charleston, SC

Spent 3 days at Hunting Island State Park and then spent 2 days at Edisto Beach State Park.

Edisto Beach is my favorite place to find knob whelk shells but you need to hike a couple miles to the north end where a river empties into the Atlantic Ocean. Then you need to time it with low tide and an island will be revealed at the river’s mouth. Then you need to wade the swift low tide current to the island where one is greeted with gahzillions of shells. There is an almost 8 foot tide so you only have about 1 hour max! When the tide begins to rise it’s time to leave or the swift current may take you off your feet and take you into the Ocean where you’ll stand a good chance of drowning. Maybe bring a life jacket if you want to stay on the island for 2 hours.
88133738-1859-4163-A1B4-B28914AD8458.jpeg
Above: shells found Sunday
Below: shells found Monday
96A8D9A8-CE1C-44DB-93C3-F141C2A08C04.jpeg
(y):cool:
Tuesday (21 Mar) drove to Folly Beach where I’ve been hangin this week meeting up with an old war buddy. We part ways in a few hours as I write this and then I’ll head toward Myrtle Beach.

Intjonny luzsha baybee alway have alway will

It’s 4:30am and I’m wide awake. Fuk. And it’s windy & cold. Gotta dig out my other sleeping bag. Damn it’s windy and did I also say it’s cold? Thawt so………

It must be all these planets aligned in one straight line tonight. I didn't sleep either, but not having to work has this benefit. You sleep when you get sleepy, eat when you get hungry and s when nature calls.
Bundle up, the sun will be out soon. The Ozarks got chilly tonight too, after days of summer weather.

Edisto Beach is my favorite place in the world. ☺️

My legs won’t take me to the north river and back these days, and even if they did my bladder wouldn’t, but I have been up there in years past and it was fun.

A fellow camper a few years back found an intact spear point up there, minus its shaft, but it was pretty amazing.

I’m guessing you’ve been to Botany Bay?

Where you can carry nothing out, but that beach is a magical place.

I found a piece of Native American pottery there a few years back, laying right on the beach.

If you are on freecampsites.net, there are a few nice spots in South Carolina.

Enjoy.

31 Mar ‘23 Somewhere near Wilmington NC

After leaving Folly Beach, on to Myrtle Beach area & spent the weekend at Huntington Beach State Park. This park has a Vast ocean front beach area and about a 30 acre pond loaded with alligators. Also lotsa wilderness. Even has a “castle”.
Atalaya Castle it’s called but this former estate mansion is hardly worth being called a castle. It looks more like a prison from Devils Island. Strictly architecturally speaking, the buildings at Auschwitz Concentration Camp have more aesthetic appeal. This place is just horrible.
Atalaya Castle pix below:
AE486353-FC4B-4296-B11C-790F9B040507.jpeg
D0CC0833-8244-4D0A-8DC2-BC610945D650.jpeg
5EDF2502-4929-4FC8-B69D-DF7BEA9DAA26.jpeg
If interested in it’s history; let google b ur frend.

Entered North Carolina Monday eve spending the night at the tried & true Walmart pl in Shallote, NC. Spent Tuesday on Oak Island that has now become another Pay to Park beach hang from April to Oct. Kool, I’m only here off season 👍🏼

……..and these last couple days been hangin out at Carolina State Park and the Fort Fisher Park ocean front; south of Wilmington. Might hang there yet 2day but idk. Might also just move up the coast. Hey; I’m still havin kawfee; K?……
Ciao 4 Now;
intjonny livin the dream

Last edited:
7 April ‘23 Somewhere near Washington, NC

Left Wilmington area last Friday and spent the day at Surf City and Topsail Island. There’s a remote beach park on North Topsail I like to hang at when thru this area. Spent the night at the Jacksonville NC Cracker Barrel.

Sat & Sunday was spent at Fort Macon St Park East of Atlantic Beach. Tried to visit this place last year when traveling thru but was unable to because of a construction delay.
Weather was very windy on Saturday; on the beach one would get sandblasted. Sunday was able to enjoy the beach proper tho was busy. Nights were spent at Morehead City & Havelock.

Monday was at Flanners Beach Park in the Neuse River Recreational Area and Monday nite slept at the Grantsboro Walmart.
Tuesday drove the loop and stopped at the hunt camp near Hobucken (yes; there really is a place called “Hobucken”); thru Aurora (stopped at the Fossil Museum) and to Washington where I am now. Have spent the last 2 days at Goose Creek State Park which is a favorite and
Today I’ll be moseying toward Greenville NC…

All kawt up
Ciao 4 Now
jonny boi

Last edited:
14 April ‘23 2023 Somewhere near Manistee
National Forest; Michigan.

Hung out with Dr Dawter in North Carolina most of last Friday & Saturday and then began the trek back to my summer hang at Kamp Koon. Arrived Sunday to EXTREMELY beautiful warm, summer beach like weather here in Michigan.

First order of business at Kamp Koon is cutting dead trees on the public land for kampfire wood and I gathered about 2 full cord. Cut them into 8’ lengths and haul to Kamp. That and getting settled back into Kamp took up most of Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday.

Weather unbelievably warm & sunny for first half of a Michigan April.
Ciao for now
intjonny boi luzsha baybee alway have alway

B5BA23C4-CC18-4F3D-9406-3E617A34ABE8.jpeg
Started cleaning sum uv my shells. The 4 on the right have yet to be cleaned; the 3 to the left I’ve cleaned. Aren’t they beautiful?

Yes, they R!
intjonny shellin like a felon