INTJohn’s Winter ‘23-‘24 Van Livin

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INTJohn

Supporting Member
Reaction score
24 Oct’23
Yes left Kamp Koon in central West Michigan this morning headed south toward Indianapolis; temps were in the low 80’s! turned onto I-74 headed SE toward Cincinnati where I’m spending this night. 2maro ? Idk head toward a SC beach?
What’s the plan? You ask?

intjonny livin the dream

25 Oct
Somewhere in South Carolina; about an hour from the Atlantic Ocean.

A very beautiful drive today thru the Kentucky & Tennessee hills & mountains. Fall foliage was brilliant and I saw something on the side of the interstate that I’ve never ever seen before. A dead black bear that someone struck probably with a car as the bear didn’t look ripped to shreds at all like it would’ve been if struck by a semi…..

Can you imagine driving along and there’s a black bear you cannot avoid? This one was not a huge bear but it was larger than a cub. I’m thinkin it was probably about a 3 year old that had recently gotten the time to leave boot frum ma bear.

2maro it’s time to hang at the beach.
intjonny

29 Oct
Somewhere near Jacksonville Fla.
Yes, am n Florida.

Spent Thursday at Edisto Beach, SC where I went to find knob whelk seashells. I promised I would find some for an acquaintance who lives in The Keys as knob whelks do not live there. Found a dozen nice ones that fulfills the order. 👍🏼

Spent Friday & Saturday at Hunting Island SC where I explored the beach and checked out the boneyard area. “Boneyard” is the beach areas that are strewn with hundreds of huge trees piled haphazardly by tropical storms & hurricanes. Always find something new.

Saturday eve drove to the I95 Georgia Welcome Center where I spent the night. Awoke this am bound 4 Florida. 😎

vagabon jon at it again🤙

Good to hear your heading to FL again for the winter?
I'm going to be there sometime around the first of the year.
Homosassa/Ocala area to start.
Mebbe our paths will cross, and the first round is on me...

1 Nov ‘23
Well, yesterday my spot near Lake Michigan that I vacated a week ago received 8” of snow ❄️ and today temp there is 23F……. Glad he’s gown! My only comment is 😂😂

This past week has gone well.
2 days traveling from SnowColdVille
1 day at Edisto Beach, SC
2 days at Hunting Island, SC
2 days at Fernandina Beach/Fort Clinch St Prk
1 day at Little Talbot Island St Prk

Today I’m traveling westward to enjoy the Florida Panhandle. Forecast to be windy & chilly so am making it the travel day. Somewhere I’ll stop and post a pik of the shells I collected.

jonny boi waking up

2 Nov ‘23
Somewhere near Eastpoint, Fl
Spent the day at St George’s Island hiking the shoreline 5 miles to the Northeast Point looking for whaver washt up. Yes; then you turn around and walk back; 10 miles total. Wore the ole man out but found a couple interesting items:
IMG_2183.jpeg
This piece of seaglass with 1788 embossed on it. Apparently frum a 1940’s or 50’s whiskey bottle

IMG_2184.jpeg
And these 2 nice lightening whelks of which the lower one I’ll keep; the upper one I’ll give away. In the middle? a very real looking hard rubber snake which somewhere at sometime I’ll have some devilish 😈 fun with…….😎

jonny boi had a good day🤙

5 Nov ‘23
Somewhere near St Augustine, Fl.

Yesterday morning I left St George’s Island and drove back to the Atlantic Coast; arrived early afternoon; and yes I’ve devised…..a PLAN!

Frum my current location I’ll beach hop southward along the Atlantic Coast to the West Palm Beach area lingering here & there all the way to arrive in the Florida Keys sometime just after 1 Dec. I’ll hang there till the week of 17 Dec at which time will return to the Mainland (as I don’t do Keys over the Holidays) and head to Bonita Springs area on the Gulf Coast. Will return to Keys after New Year’s and stay for ???

None of this tho is etched in stone or blessed by gawd……..

Thaz Tha Plan
jonny boi being jonny boi

8 Nov ‘23
Somewhere near Palm Coast, Fl.

Several days in the St Augustine area and it was time to move on. Spent 2 days at Anastasia St Prk and 1 day at the county park just to the south which is in St Augustine Beach.

St Augustine is a drive by/thru for me. It’s really just a big tourist hang. Not only from the US but Europe as well. It reminds me of Mackinaw Island at the Peninsula Straits in Michigan. Tourist shops, restaurants, etc all along the waterfront. There’s an old fort, too, along with the horse drawn “Cinderella” carriages everywhere. But! Unlike Mackinaw Island; bumper to bumper traffic especially on weekends & holidays.

Traffic- That’s the major difference as Mackinaw Island has no motor vehicles. Nope they’re not allowed on the island. Travel is by foot, bicycle or horse. Motor scooters & e-bikes also a no-no.
The island does have 1 police car, an ambulance and 2 fire trucks but that’s it.

St Augustine Beach has a more laid back beach vibe that’s much more conducive to my lifestyle. Surfing and beach volleyball the norm. Reminds me of Ocean Beach, OB, in San Diego Ca.

Today I’m in the Palm Coast area and prolly for the next couple days. 🤙

jonny boi livin the dream

11 Nov ‘23
Somewhere near New Smyrna Beach, Fla

8 Nov was at Washington Oaks Gardens State Park. This park is like 2 separate parks. To the west of Hiway A1A is where the beautiful gardens and stately oaks with trails are and the east part fronts on the Atlantic Ocean having both beach and the area known as The Rocks.

9 Nov spent all day chillin at Ormond Beach in Tomoka St Park where topped off my water jugs and put out the solar panels to top off the batteries as the next 6 days or so are forecast to have lotsa clouds interspersed with rain.

Yesterday was spent chillin at Romano Beach Park which is a city park in Ormand Beach. I don’t usually spend too much time in city/county parks but was there all day. Exceptionally clean and aesthetically appealing park on the Ocean.

Spent last night again in Ormond Beach but this morning have moved south, bypassing Daytona, landing in New Smyrna. Be here today & tomorrow, maybe Monday too.

jonny boi waiting for noon kikoff. 🤙

INTJohn, thanks for sharing where you go. It is nice to have a better idea about places and things one can do in an area before arriving. The winter of 2024-2025 I hope to tour the east cost. Safe travels.

INTJohn, thanks for sharing where you go. It is nice to have a better idea about places and things one can do in an area before arriving. The winter of 2024-2025 I hope to tour the east cost. Safe travels.
My east coast experience is Va Bch south and the entire Gulf Coast. I basically & mostly spend daytime at beach front state parks or National Park/Seashore places but depends; there are several exceptions depending where I’m at.

I have the National Park lifetime pass.
Texas for example I never stay at Texas St Parks. Too many Texas Gulf Coast places to stay 4 free.
Loozyanna st Prks have free entrance if over 62.
Mississippi has miles of free Gulf front parking.
Alabama there’s a couple lil spots I hang at on Mobile Bay.
Florida - Gulf & Ocean State Parks everywhere. Buy the yearly card. 70$ with Monroe Co(Keys) stamp.
Georgia- only place I hang here is St Simons Island:; Massingale Park and the park by the old Coast Guard station.
South Carolina has 4 State Parks on the Atlantic. Annual pass is 100$
North Carolina State Parks are free entrance and then the OBX National Seashore.
Va Bch, ocean front is pay everywhere 4 everything. I hang at the State Park on the point at Chesapeake Bay.

Thaz it ina seashell 🐚
intjonny

INTJohn, Thank you again. That is a long list of places. I expect I'll be able to use that info as I get to those states. I'm just hoping to get my RV build out finished in time to do some traveling to see family in Texas and friends in adjoining states this year and 2024 spring before the water is turned into the ditches and I'm needed to care take my trees and other plants so they don't die from the drought here in NM. Just 3 three weeks without supplemental water is enough to do severe damage to the silver maple trees, scrubs & bushes.

15 Nov ‘23
Somewhere near Cocoa Beach, Fla

Sunday morning headed South to Titusville where I spent 3 days & nights. 1 day at Canaveral Seashore; rest of the time at at the very large Sand Point Park by the bridge. This morning I moved south to my present location south of Cape Canaveral by Patrick Space Force Base.

Weather has been overcast, windy, off & on rain all week and will continue thru Friday. 🤷🏻‍♂️ No sunshine 4 The Sunshine State and not good beach weather.
Puts me in a funk but it beats cold & snow funk.

Be around here prolly thru 2maro; continue south Friday morn.
intjonny

INTJohn,

I've bird watched near Cocoa Beach and stayed with my brother there. At his condo there was a Great Blue Heron that mooched fish from one of his neighbors and it walked on the roofs of the adjacent condos. It was exciting to see a Great Blue so close.

I spent a good part of one day at Cape Canaveral birding area bird watching. I got to see many birds I had never seen before. My greatest excitement was over the wood stork.

I hope to go there again to bird watch. I won't be seeing my brother there as he moved more than a thousand miles away.

Hope you enjoy your stay in the area.

Spring time in Coco beach was heaven for a tour bus driver as college girls softball teams spring training was a major deal. Run them to the fields in the morning, lay around until late afternoon and go pick them up. Full days pay in a nice warm climate!

Latest posts