I'm very new. Currently searching for my rig.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly no disrespect intended, but rolling a 500LB bike up that steep metal ramp can be a challenge. Toss in some rain, wet/slippery metal, or simply the end of a long day of riding, or bad luck and a flat tire or busted 'doohickey' and the problems accumulate.

There are ways to do it, including a 12V ATV winch, arranged with pulleys and a fairlead that will make the job easier.

With no electric winch, but with two dudes, one pushes, the other balances, then the first guy repositions, and begins strapping down the bike...and soon the job is done. 

Not sure how it will work with a solo female, you really can't ride one up...but I'm sure if there is a will, there is a way.

At any rate, now you know to do the due-diligence to see what plans you need to make.

Good luck!

crofter said:
 I have seen some big bikes on the bumper of the larger motor homes.
I understand that when you say bikes, you mean motorcycles. A lot of us who ride call them bikes. Causes confusion sometimes. I have seen motorcycles mounted on large motorhomes too, front and back. I will be sure whichever method I choose that it is safe. I have seen some set-ups that looked questionable. Hopefully suspension etc was upgraded and their loaded vehicle still works well.

tx2sturgis said:
rolling a 500LB bike up that steep metal ramp can be a challenge
Oh no doubt. I've been loading and unloading it out of my pickup bed for years, but this is different. Trial runs etc will be tested. Thank you :)

At the moment I own a Chrysler town and country van. It is in excellent condition with only 70,000. I have decided to take it on the road temporarily to begin to adjust and understand this lifestyle. I have a bed, stove and cooler. I need to fashion window coverings and I'll be set. I'll venture out a few days at a time, eventually seeing what it is like to see clients on my laptop in my van. This way I can begin to figure things out before buying the big rig.
Welcome! I own a Chrysler Town & Country and the gas mileage is HORRIBLE. LIKE 13 and often less! No one can figure out the problem. How’s your gas mileage??? Thank you and I wish you the very best with your plans!

Hey Angel, I'm a newbie too. Won't be on the road for a while (building the van) but I'll also be hauling my bike. It's a V-twin 250 weighing around 380lbs. I bought a used 2015 Ford Transit with RWD and dually tires in the back. Tongue weight on the new hitch is 750lbs. Your bike probably only weighs around 300lbs, so you should be fine. I agree with tx2sturgis, you might look into RWD as a safer option than the PM. Best of luck to you! Can't wait to see what you find!

Attachments

• 00Z0Z_9MGXn7QVAWN_600x450.jpg
    00Z0Z_9MGXn7QVAWN_600x450.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0165.jpeg
    IMG_0165.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 1
Certainly no disrespect intended, but rolling a 500LB bike up that steep metal ramp can be a challenge. Toss in some rain, wet/slippery metal, or simply the end of a long day of riding, or bad luck and a flat tire or busted 'doohickey' and the problems accumulate.

There are ways to do it, including a 12V ATV winch, arranged with pulleys and a fairlead that will make the job easier.

With no electric winch, but with two dudes, one pushes, the other balances, then the first guy repositions, and begins strapping down the bike...and soon the job is done.

Not sure how it will work with a solo female, you really can't ride one up...but I'm sure if there is a will, there is a way.

At any rate, now you know to do the due-diligence to see what plans you need to make.

Good luck!

A lot of truth there.
can't count the number of times I've hauled big heavy bikes up ramps and everything you mentions is so true.

And I'm about 200lbs and in good shape.
Everything teeters. As long as nothing goes wrong and it is completely upright and balanced....but lose your footing for even a second ...or if anything goes wrong....you're done.

My 2015 Suzuki DR-200S weighs 289 lbs curb.

I had considered a KLR-250, but the KLR weighs around 30 lbs more.

When loading it on the hitch mounted rack on my class C, I have to prepare mentally, focusing on pushing the bike up the ramp all the way, to get the front wheel in its place in one push. Anything less than that and I can end up part way up and having to back it down and start over. I need some room to build momentum, so I have to consider that when I find a parking spot. Once the bike is on, I can strap it in place. I prepare the straps before mounting.

It is worth it for the utility, running errands, and the adventure that it makes possible. I also hike, so i'm not just riding around.

The hitch carrier is important. I'm on my second carrier, a Black Widow, it has been very stable. The first was a Maxxhaul that had parts of it fail, and it was never stable side to side.

Last edited:

Latest posts