I'm sailing away

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You made it to RTR and found a host job too !
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have found campground jobs by just going to where I wanted to be and talking to the manager/owner.
There are so many ways to find them .
Get a reference letter when you leave , it really helps down the road .....

Some people just won't let you retire! I have had to hide to keep out of a job, but I'm apparently not to good at hiding. Been trying to retire for 15 years now, be sure to see and do the things you would like to do before you physically can't. I'm getting to a point physically that some things on my bucket list probably won't happen but I do enjoy what I'm doing!

Destiny is smiling down on you jimindenver. First, full-timing, then the RTR, then a campground host position.

Talk about getting all the right signs from the universe that you are doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing! So happy for you. I think a hosting job with hookups is the perfect way to ease into the lifestyle.

Good for you Jim. I found the best place at RTR for a quiet camp was all the way at the bottom of the main road into camp. It made for a long walk up to the main fire, and to visit others, but the dog and I needed the exorcise and then I could have some quiet time when needed. Let me know when you get to your campground hosting job and where it is. Maybe I'll hook up the trailer and head south for a few days to visit.

Thank you all. It's is unfathomable how much my life has changed since I started the Charting a new course thread. Having a job such as this literally fall into my lap shows me how lucky I am as well as being part of a community that has shown me such support. It really doesn't get any better than this.

I've been able to meet some of you such as HighDesertRanger, Dragonflyinthesky and others. Best of all I have been able to shake the hand of the man that is behind it all and say thank you to Bob Wells. I simply don't know where I would be right now without having found this site.

I will likely move tomorrow as a group has this area filling with motorhomes. I don't wish to impose on their event and I really prefer to be not so close to my neighbors.

I was able to find people that could use the trailers original battery, jack and other things. All were in working order but I have no ideal why I brought them except that maybe fate knew there were those here that really needed them.

I'll have to make a thread of putting up and testing the cell booster and directional antenna. It made a huge difference including having a service show up that all have said did not exist here. While putting it up I found the cable to the TV antenna is cracked in several places which explains the poor reception I have been getting.

Queen, I would love to have a visit at the park in San Antonio. That goes for everyone. It will be within my power to make sure it's affordable so to speak. The only thing I would enjoy more would be cooking for you. Cooking isn't my passion, having people enjoy it is. As you may have guessed, I have learned a wee bit about Mexican cuisine having a Mexican lover for decades. It would be a pleasure to show you what they taught me.

Tomorrow I need to find a solar shop and pick up a Morningstar controller for the new panel. Someone to build me a rack system for the truck and see more than the RTR and my trailer.

I wish you were here too Art, I wish all of you were.

I think I will move the rig in closer tomorrow and get some more socializing in. I don't have the social grace in person that our gracious host does, knowing what to say or do and when. Five minutes down the road I know but then it's too late. Also with the sun coming back out I can put the solar ovens out and start getting ready for my talk on them Tuesday. Public speaking is another talent I seem to lack so hopefully I don't lose my nerve or pass out. lol

The free tarp has been a blessing in lightening my load. Some of the stuff I brought knowing it would go there, other things I put on there just wondering why I brought them. I felt guilty at first but nothing has lasted long thank goodness. I needed room on the truck for the new solar panel and the old 230w panel lasted maybe 3 minutes.

Last night was the chili dog dinner and what a blast it was, I had a lot of fun helping Tim, High Desert Ranger and others get it ready and serve it up which was more fun than simply eating them. At times I was serving dogs with one hand and slopping chili on them with the other. A huge thanks to Tim for setting it up and all of those that participated in the preparation, donations and clean up.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Talk about getting all the right signs from the universe that you are doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing!  So happy for you.  I think a hosting job with hookups is the perfect way to ease into the lifestyle.

Jim, I think ERLH said it best and I concur. Your kind words to me when things were really crappy were very encouraging and make me want to meet you. I am happy that things are working out for you... It's that Karma thing. 

I wish you only the Best and Dinner is on me when we meet. Rob

"Public speaking is another talent I seem to lack so hopefully I don't lose my nerve or pass out. lol"

Jim....focus on your subject...not the audience (crowd)

You are already confident in knowing your subject....if you need too jot down a few key subjects to keep you on track.

Borrow a dog and give it your class(seminar) with a snack or two you will have undivided attention.

And when all else fails and you start to get sweaty palms and want to leave the arena......instead of punting.....picture the crowd naked and laugh to yourself inside....and continue to march.....

At least at this seminar you will not be critiqued on you performance.....and if you are.....just tell em' humor me I'm retired!

Good luck!

I will give you a link of someone I met who told me she had never in her life been so afraid of being in front of a group. 3x5 cards with notes and as Phantom says ignore the audience. You will do well.She said the hardest part was getting started,then it went well.

Last time I did some public speaking, I realized two things:

(1) People rarely do this. It's not a skill most people have, doing it in front of tens or hundreds of people. I thought about asking friends or family for advice and then I thought -- wait a second, they've probably never done this in their life. It's a brave thing to do.

(2) It will be fine!

I've done a lot of public speaking. In a setting like this, there will be lots of people who want to talk or ask questions. Talk briefly and let them have their chance. After they have had their chance to talk they will go away remembering you as a fine presenter.  :)

Nice meeting you Jim, both at the button table and the chili dog dinner! Thanks for jumping right in and volunteering to help with the dinner. So many people hold back when faced with a new situation so it's great to have willing volunteers.

Your social skills are fine so do move closer to the main area. You can always close the door to your trailer when you need a little time alone. :)

Jim, I didn't realize I had gotten so far behind on your progress and travel. I know where your hosting will be now so disregard my earlier request. A couple of years ago I had looked online for a camping spot in the area near Bosque and decided that one would work for me. Have done a fair amount of bird photography and Bosque has been on my list for a while. Haven't made it yet but will. Glad all is going well for you.
If I make it while you are there maybe we can consume one of those green chili burger meals.

Thank you all, you really are too kind. I really believe I was just in the right place at the right time for the hosting. Otherwise I try to act is such a way that I would hope others would act towards me. I have had some good examples to follow over the years including on this forum.

Thank you for the suggestions too. I shall keep them in mind. Last time I tried to imagine someone naked it got a bit embarrassing. Not all of them mind you but with some it sure did. ;)

Karen, you see something in me that I don't but still, I appreciate the compliments. I am always more comfortable having something to do.

Dennis, I would love to go shooting with you. I will need to practice as I was rusty with my manual settings especially in the constant changing conditions of pre dawn.

+1 on focusing on subject, not audience
The first time my band had a paying gig I was petrified with stage-fright
Our Lead guitarist had the solution: he picked a tune we could do as a walk on as our first number, so I was able to start playing offstage. As he predicted, as soon as I started playing, all fear was banished, and it was on!

Latest posts