I'm sailing away

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Queen

I have a Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse. It is a ultra lite entry level trailer. It is built well and the things that make it light or cost less do not matter when you are camping. The construction is good. The frame is great with a huge cargo capacity for a trailer its size. It is not quite as tall or wide. I can just stand up and it is 6 inches narrower than normal. That works out great when the trail I take a narrow, the branches lower and on at least one hair pin turn I would not have made it with another 6 inches. I was slipping as it was.

The downside to a ultra lite is that they are intended for nice weather camping. The are lightly insulated and the tanks are not enclosed. The windows and door are sealed but they transmit the cold in to the point I made custom foam inserts for the nights it is below freezing. You can order a bigger fridge but you can not get this brand in a 4 season trailer. The brands that are 4 season are heavier and normal sized. Luckily I am doing the follow the nice temperatures and it is rarely a issue.

> Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse

What year jimindenver? Is there a year where the size went up (you said lower and narrower) and quality went south?

I don't know why I have it stuck in my head that you have an r-pod. My brother and sil had one one the Ameri-lites and really enjoyed camping in it. My brother decided he didn't want to tow anything anymore and they sold it, really wish I'd thought to buy it from them.

I was going to post this when I saw them click over the other day and forgot. The controllers add up the amps they produce over time. They were both reset in early February. The trucks portable system has produced 20,920 Ah's since then, the main house system 17,272 Ah's.

There would be more if the air conditioner had be mounted. I would have run it in Flagstaff except it is such a pain to dig out of the truck and mount. It could be mounted in a box with ventilation but I have not figured out just where until now. I can take the microwave out of its cabinet and set it on the shelf above the fridge. The A/C can go into the microwaves cabinet and I can cut the wall for the vent. All you will see from the outside will be a heater type grate. It will be so nice to be able to just turn it on when needed and have it cooling in the middle of the trailer instead of being on one end.

The Colorado get together officially has been over I suppose for a few weeks but we just cleared the site yesterday. it was everything I had hope last years GTG would have been if I had not become injured. A number of people I saw from the Flagstaff GTG which was great because I got to show off my stomping grounds. A number of local folk showed up and I have wanted to meet up with them every since I have been on the forum. I look forward to next years gathering.

There is a big difference being up here full time and learning where to go locally to get food, gas, propane and laundry. I found the Sudz laundry in Baily had more machines and was cleaner than the laundry in Fairplay. Propane was easy in Fairplay at the gas station coming in to town. It is $21 a 20 pound tank. I like King Soopers for shopping and there is one in Conifer. There is a Glacier water machine inside that is not listed on the Glacier website. I also get fuel points for up to a buck off of a gallon of gas that can be used at the local Loaf and jug. The food and gas in Fairplay is closer but I pass Baily and Conifer on my way to and from Denver.

In Fairplay you can go to the Western Inn and RV park for dump, trash and water for a fee. Bob listed other places for water in the GTG thread.

Internet at the GTG improved greatly after leaving the hotspots on and taking them to town with me. I usually take the hotspots that do not get a signal to town so that I can put data usage on them when they do have a signal. What I found is getting that good signal allowed them to update their PRL's and things really changed after that. First it was the 4Gcommunity Sprint hotspot that showed no signal until it updated. Then it showed two bars of LTE roaming out of the cradle and became the star as it was faster than all the rest. Next it was the 4GAS T-mobile hotspot that would weakly connect in the cradle but lit up just sitting on the counter after updating. It was even faster at streaming than the Sprint hotspot and did not become congested. I was actually considering dropping those two because having AT&T and Verizon should be enough. Then I remembered I bought the 4GAS hotspot because the T-mobile coverage showed this area and it has earned its keep.

At the new spot I have a hill blocking the towers I used at the GTG. The Verizon 3G and Sprint 4G roaming on Verizon are down to a few bars even in the booster and while I could stream last night, congestion at 9 AM was making them unusable this morning. The T-Mobile showed no signal on the counter but lit back up in the booster cradle. Once again I can stream with no issues out in the middle of no where. I still have to spin the antenna for the Mobley but I know it was pretty weak and congested at the GTG. I don't expect a improvement here unless being on this side exposes me to a different tower.

Last week my aging Alcatel one touch Idol 3 went out and I had planned on getting a Samsung Galaxy 8 but they were out of stock. I bought a Idol 4 because it came with VR goggles that were really neat for at least 5 minutes. I think I am going to swap it for a LG phone that has HD and wireless calling. That way I can make and receive calls using any of the hotspots even if the phone has no data connection of its own.

I have been to Denver a number of times, once to pick up left overs from the EX and the rest because Max decided to wake me up by stomping on my eyeball. He did so much damage to the cornea that it took a protective lens, three visits and over a week to heal. The eyeball normally heals abrasions in a day to give you a idea of the damage he did. Now I have to put eye drops in both eyes every night to keep me from ripping the healed patches out when I blink in the morning. Yippy!

So I hope to be here for a bit and then move up on top of Kenosha pass which will cut my travel time to Denver, currently two hours each way. I have health appointments, disability appointments and a storage unit to deal with. Should I start going there too much I will have to find a spot down there. I have been lucky to have Bob, Dave or Greg watch Max for me so far not to mention the half a tank of gas every trip.

It is good being back in Colorado, I missed it. It has been nice seeing the systems do well so far this year and even better to see them excel in the environment I designed them for. ( new spot no morning shade. The Lifelines are loving it)

jimindenver said:
I have been to Denver a number of times, once to pick up left overs from the EX and the rest because Max decided to wake me up by stomping on my eyeball. He did so much damage to the cornea that it took a protective lens, three visits and over a week to heal. The eyeball normally heals abrasions in a day to give you a idea of the damage he did. Now I have to put eye drops in both eyes every night to keep me from ripping the healed patches out when I blink in the morning. Yippy!

MAX, REPORT TO THE YARC

Yes it was. I was suppose to go to a office visit on the 7th of September at first. Then they cleared me for the ER and finally I said the hell with it and paid cash to go to the same office that did my surgery. It's where the ER sent me last year, at least this time I didn't wait all day for nothing and got real treatment 4 days quicker.

you and the eye things...

so did you get a dog claw to the eye or did he squish it like a robins egg?

Squished like a robins egg. Luckily he did not damage the implant.

Wow, it's September already! Where in the hell did the year go? I have not got nearly enough done in Denver and it is going to be time to head south soon. It will start dropping below freezing at night here by the end of the month and October at 10,000 ft is brisk to say the least.

David, Dave, Crave , and I all moved up 39 to a hill top. It is the first time that I have been in a spot that Verizon is useless while the other three are not. Even odder is the fact that I have not been able to just turn one on and just use it. T-mobile was wonderful until a day ago when it went poof. Sprint and the AT&T Mobley have been taking turns being connected and this is all while I sit in one spot. The congestion of everyone up here for the holiday makes it even more of a challenge so I couldn't of asked for a better test. One thing I have decided to get is a phone that does WiFi calling. That way no matter which carrier connects the phone works.

One thing this spot that I have never dealt with in the trailer is mice. I have caught 5 so far and Max knows when they are under the cabinets.

Next week we are expecting a special visitor in our camp, maybe even shoot a few videos.

Latest posts