I'm new

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnut

Reaction score
Hello guy's and gal's
figured I would introduce myself to the community . I'm 31 male single no kids 2 ex wifes .. I've never lived in a 4 wheel vehicle but I'm a trucker and drove otr for a while currently local and I miss the hwy life . But as a trucker you don't get to enjoy the sights as they try to say you do . It's always a rush blowing by the towns and amusements. I've always been a loner ( long story) . I'm currently debating if I should slap a shell on my truck and live out of it my mother has offered me a place to stay but I don't like imposing but can park and shower there .....I have a cheap place rented from a old friend but I can tell I'm wearing out my welcome . ..
I'm thinking about trying to be a van courier long haul but there 05 or newer van crap is rubbing me wrong...I like old vehicles .....so many decisions for another post. .....

I'd think being a long haul van courier would be a cool way to live and travel...so I'm with ya there.

but as for being a fan of older rigs...well, being a trucker you should know, that older vans are gonna require ALOT more maintenance than a newer one. When you're out on the road in BFE and break down...it's a whole lot nicer to run into a local auto parts store and get whacha need to get back on the road, as opposed to having to find and order replacement parts on-line and having to sit somewhere and wait for them to get shipped to yas.

but that's your call.

Welcome to the forum!! We have a great crew on here (and ALOT of ex-truckers) so you should fit in just fine. Feel free to shoot out any questions you've got, 'cause there's many years of experience on here to draw upon.

Hello from the Oregon Coastline!!

I personally don't agree about the lost of time by driving a old vehicles I drove a 1970 f100 for 2 years still have it ..I can fix anything on that truck if needed on side of road .I personally don't know much about fuel injection other than it's expensive to repair snd a shop is commonly required . The parts are way more expensive and I can get a part for a older vehicle just about as easy as I can something that is a dealer only part on newer cars if you don't have to remove engine to get to the part.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, carnut! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I like older vehicles, myself. If I had the skills to do the repairs there are some great old vans out there that I'd like to call home.

I do have a question do you guy's recommend I go to the shell on truck ideal ? My brother has been un happily living in his suburban for a month now wife issues but he isn't like me I thrive on survival

My van has 250k on it and I'm getting ready to drive cross-country for the second time. I like being in tune with my vehicles and the best way to do that is to troubleshoot issues and take a wrench to it now and then. Plus I got to save this beauty from being crushed and I can do all sorts of odd modifications to it without worrying about resale value.

The only problem with being a courier is once you get your van outfitted and full of your stuff there may not be a lot of room left for cargo. Some people haul small cargo trailers, which could work for you. Or, you may be able to find some other job that involves short stops at different places. I'm doing that as a traveling poker dealer, others do construction, I'm sure there are many more opportunities out there if you do some digging.

Carnut, insulation is crucial to what ever type of vehicle you try to live in. Be sure you can add what ever insulating material you decide to use.

carnut said:
I personally don't agree about the lost of time by driving a old vehicles I drove a 1970 f100 for 2 years still have it ..I can fix anything on that truck if needed on side of road .I personally don't know much about fuel injection other than it's expensive to repair snd a shop is commonly required . The parts are way more expensive and I can get a part for a older vehicle just about as easy as I can something that is a dealer only part on newer cars if you don't have to remove engine to get to the part.

sense you feel this way, (which is fine) then I guess I don't understand your original question about older rigs.

I prefer older rigs mysself...but I too know how to work on 'em.

Welcome Carnut! We're really glad you're here!

I've never lived in a pickup and shell but I did spend a winter sleeping in one . If the shell is cab-high, it is so low that is a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't consider living in one.

However, I built a plywood camper on the bed of my 4x4 F150 that was 48 inches high (one sheet of plywood tall) and I lived in it for almost 3 years and loved it!

So if you can find a tall shell, it should work great, but a low one wouldn't work for me. But, we are all different so it might work for you.

If you can afford it a van is better in every way (unless you have a 4x4 truck, then that is a significant advantage)! Safety and stealth is much better in a van because you don't have to get out and go around to get in. Even a regular height van is taller so they are bearable. And a high-top van is much, much better! A van is much more aerodynamic so they almost always get better MPG.

Just food for thought!
Bob

Hi carnut I'm new as well.

I just purchased a 1970 Custom Chevy C 20 to be my chariot during my adventures.
It's my first classic, but I agree with your point on older vehicles, and that's a large reason why I decided to go for mine (and it's awesome! )
http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/ is a great site for all kinds of older stuff (not just that period but just chevys)

I'll post pics of my pickup soon. I'd love to see your f100. I'm also looking to get a travel trailer for daily living.

All the best to you in your journey.

I'll see you around. :)

carnut said:
I do have a question do you guy's recommend I go to the shell on truck ideal ? My brother has been un happily living in his suburban for a month now wife issues but he isn't like me I thrive on survival

how about a full period (70s) camper add on (not just shell)?

http://www.camperfinds.com/truck-campers-for-salefd

Im looking for just a vintage shell for mine and came across this site which consolidates craigslist and similar ads. Good look in your search. :shy: