I'm LOST!! Lol

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did have one campground in Texas that I rejected because of the layout.

The campground advertised only that it had unserviced sites which is what I was looking for...I tend to avoid the serviced sites campgrounds because of the cost and the general layout in most. When I checked in the woman at the gate said she hoped my tent would hold up in the strong winds we were experiencing and I didn't bother to tell her that 'I didn't need no stinking tent'... :D 

I drove over to the camping area only to find a nice strong rail fence between the parking lot and the camp sites. The place had been designed for tents only and you were expected to park your vehicle in the paved parking lot and haul all your stuff over to a campsite which were spread out across an open grass area. No wonder the place looked like no one had ever camped there. Even if I was in a tent, I certainly wouldn't have been hauling all my camping gear that far. If I want to go backpacking, I'll go out on a trail knowing that all my gear is on my back. If I'm car camping I want the car within my campsite!

Needless to say, I headed back to the gate and insisted on a refund. The employee tried to convince me that if I wanted to park where I was camping I would have to go over to their sister campground where they had full hookups at a substantially higher price... :rolleyes: 

Since I had found it on freecampsites.net, I reported the situation to them so that they could improve/correct the listing.

Keep in mind that that is ONE campground in Texas out of thousands and thousands of camping areas.

If you have a cell phone, there's an app called Camp Finder that will show you areas near you. I have found it very helpful. There are probably other ones too.

Latest posts