Ideas in the making

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coastnalong

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I am currently living in Washington State in a home. My income is not keeping pace with how fast my basic living expenses are increasing.  Therefore, I will have to move to a lifestyle more compatible with the ones I see in cheaprvliving.[/font]

Welcome to the CRVL forums coastnalong! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

there are certainly less expensive areas to live in other than Washington state.

maki2 said:
there are certainly less expensive areas to live in other than Washington state.

Totally agree. That is why I am looking at Nevada.

It is good to hear that crisp, decisive tone in your voice.  Your choice is a difficult one that is best not put off once it’s made.  Accept the new life, embrace the challenge, be open to the different world.  It will be far more wonderful than you imagine.

That attitude worked for me but developing the skills and planning to do so took a little time.

I retired and moved out of California because I seen how I could be feeling a financial pinch during my retired years. Moving to Nevada gave me an instant pay raise as there is no State income tax here. Most costs are less here where I am, (Pahrump Nv.). Medical insurance, auto insurance, housing , food and fuel costs. I can't think of a single thing that costs more here.
It gets hot here in the summer for sure, but being retired with an RV, I could be in a cooler place if I liked.

Coastn, from the sounds of it, ie interest in container homes, it sounds like you're possibly thinking of another more or less permanent place to live. In that case, I would suggest looking at smaller towns, as the cities will likely be much expensive to live in and there is a flight of young people to the cities and lowering populations in towns in any case. Even eastern Washington state probably has lots of small towns where living would be less expensive than anywhere near Seattle. If living in a town within an hour's drive of a city, you'd still have access to the city things like shopping. Likewise for most other states in the west, I should think, other than California.