I won't be able to afford my house in 2 years!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Addie,  There are so many styles of conversion vans it boggles my mind.  On mine the 2 front windows roll up and down.  The big window in the side slider door does not open, the 2 windows in the back doors do not open.  There are 2 big side windows on the drivers side and one on the passenger side.  These big windows have little sliding windows in  one lower corner, they open about 8in x 12in.  If you want good air circulation and you get a vehicle with these types of windows it could be a problem.  Of course windows can be changed out and vents with or without fans can also be added.  My air conditioner doesn't work, however the parts are ordered to fix it.

I thought I was a tough!  I drove a Ranger 4x4 for several yrs.with no air.  I lived and drove it in TX, SD, KY, & here in AL.  Nothing prepared me for the 1st really hot day when I opened that oven [van] door,  at that time only 1 window would open.  You may already know about these different window styles already.  I'm just passing along info on my experience with them.

Jewellann

OK , a comfy rig with mini blinds.
That's pretty easy , you will have a lot to choose from.
Basically just about everything. You should be able to find one of those and we'll help keep an eye out for ya.
(Which is way better than poke an eye out dontcha know ?)

Just to narrow it down a bit.....what's your rig budget bare and finished.

What is the price range on these? Auctions maybe? Southern states to purchase from?

Ok, another thought of conversion van vs cargo van. Which one would give me the most space?

Addie - Hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in, but here are my thoughts on the cargo versus conversion van:

- The cargo van can be larger or smaller, depending on what size cargo van you get (and what size conversion van you are comparing it to).  There are so many different sizes and variables that it's difficult to say.

- With the cargo van, you can build any configuration you want to meet your lifestyle.  For example, in your situation, you might not want to built in a kitchen, since you will have access to one.

- The cargo van will probably require some work to get it the way you want.  If you are handy, or know someone that's handy that can help, it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult (depending on what you want to do).

- You can add a top to a cargo van that would allow you to stand in it.

- Cargo vans are everywhere and easy to find.  There are conversion vans around, but it might take some looking around the country to find the one you want.

- Contractors use cargo vans all the time.  My guess is that if you want to sell it, it might be easier to sell a cargo van than a conversion van (but that's pure conjecture on my part).

There are just a few points I'm finding in my research (watching YouTube, reading forum posts, etc.).

Addie said:
Ok, another thought of conversion van vs cargo van. Which one would give me the most space?

That depends on which manufacturer and model you buy because the vans all start out the same. It's a cargo van or a passenger van (same frame just has windows) coming off the production line. The van body is then shipped to a conversion manufacturer to put the conversion parts in before it's sold.

That said, a cargo/passenger van will give you more space in the interior because the conversion package takes up to 6" on either side of the van for all their finishing parts.

A lot of people buy a conversion van thinking that the interior is already done for them and then end up ripping it all out when they find that it's cheap plastic that they can't screw anything to and that it has fiberglass insulation behind the trim that isn't doing much insulating because of the way it's installed.

IMO, you're better off buying a cargo van that has been used as lightly as possible and then putting your own interior in it. I know that many say they aren't handy but 'handy' isn't a genetic trait, it's a skill learned and 'most' people can too learn how to do the basics.

I think cargo van it is! But I have a little Kia Soul right now and I'm still in a lease for 2 more years, about the same time I'll be ready to retire, so in the meantime I'll be looking at some cargo vans and getting some ideas!

Do you want to get it now or wait to save up $$?
Short , long , high top ?
Prefer a particular manufacturer ?

I know , I just keep asking questions......

rvpopeye said:
Do you want to get it now or wait to save up $$?
Short , long , high top ?
Prefer a particular manufacturer ?

I know , I just keep asking questions......

Lol! I have to save, I figure I'll have 8-10,000.00 to work with by the time I retire. Not sure about high top, extra length or make right now, but if my brother has to help out mechanically he prefers Chevy, GMC, Dodge.

Well , that will give you more time to decide and find the right one for you ! And that budget will probably get you a pretty nice one too.... ;)

rvpopeye said:
Well , that will give you more time to decide and find the right one for you ! And that budget will probably get you a pretty nice one too.... ;)

Next question, windows or no windows? Opinions please! And back doors, I've seen the entire back door areas covered up on some of them inside.

Hmm tough one ,personal preference.
My first thought is windows=you can cover/uncover to suit.
no windows=cave like and more secure

Back doors , with good side mirrors or B/U cam ..windows optional .

Windows = hard to build around; might be best covered by storage and stuff; in a van, windshield and door windows (including side) may be plenty.

No windows = larger stretches of more easily build-able space; potentially better stealth; better structural integrity and options when piercing the skin for various reasons.

But I might be biased.   :cool:

I'm planning to just have windows on the doors (back doors, side doors, and driving area).  I would like to have more, but for every window, it takes up the space that could be used for other things, such as storage (and in a van, it looks like every inch counts).  I'm hoping with just those windows, it won't feel too cave like.

It depends on how much light and vision you want
if you want a brighter space with views out the windows, window van, if you want a darker less visible space folks can't see into, no windows, everything is a trade off

Don't limit yourself to either windows or no windows when you're searching for a van.

The only thing I do recommend that you put a 'not a chance in hell' on is the side slider door!

Those things should be wiped off the planet IMO...they won't stay open (or partially closed) if the van is on  any kind of a slope. They don't actually give you the full opening when they are wide open (short about 6") and they are louder than hell when you have to slam them shut! Even worse is one on an older van that had exterior running board/mud guards ...we used to use a 6" extension bar on the side slider to make it clear the wider fenders...those things fell off regularly.

There are so many more important things to go on the 'must have' list...price, year, mileage, mfr, condition, engine size, etc. etc. are way more important.

If there are no windows, you can add aftermarket ones. If there are too many windows you can always cover up some either with curtains or permanently by just plain building up past them.

X3 on sliders.
Got nothing good to say 'bout'em.

Unfortunately, GM seems to install more sliders than hinged.....and it's near impossible to swap 'em.

I don't like the sliding doors, either. Ive seen some pretty cool cooking setups on the hinged doors too where the propane stoves and the cooking counters are mounted as a foldaway design. Has anyone tried that?

Putts said:
Not a cargo trailer....a horse tailer. Front for Addie, equine accommodations in the rear. Won't look suspicious next to a barn. Commercial ones are wicked expensive but here's a layout.

Trailer-layout.gif

You might be able to get a used one something like this and build it out. Won't have as much room for tack and hay...but get creative and you'll probably have enough room to make do.

DSCN0001_lg(22).JPG

Just a thought.
Well I've been thinking about the horse trailer now, if this current arrangement at my barn should not work out, I'll just hire a truck driver to pull me, my horses and my dogs to a new location ??