I Really Hate . . .

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
So, as I've mentioned, I'm searching for a vehicle, checking craigslist, ebay, Autotrader, Cars.com, etc.

So far, no luck on a private sale, so I've been checking out dealer's sites.

Most places post their asking price, but a few refuse to do so, just say "call for price".  I hate that.  I guess their prices are too high, but they're hoping if I call, they can talk me into buying anyway.  I really hate that, and I REFUSE to call and ask for their price.

Most dealers have pictures of their used trucks online, but a few just post a stock photo from the manufacturer, rather than the actual vehicle for sale.  I hate that.  I'm looking for a truck with an extended cab and the LONG bed.  Most trucks seem to have the short bed these days.

I finally found one that seemed perfect.  But when I ran the VIN through an online VIN decoder, it came up as a SHORT bed.  That's when I realized the picture they posted wasn't the actual truck they had for sale.  I really hate that.

Bastards.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
So, as I've mentioned, I'm searching for a vehicle, checking craigslist, ebay, Autotrader, Cars.com, etc.

So far, no luck on a private sale, so I've been checking out dealer's sites.

Most places post their asking price, but a few refuse to do so, just say "call for price".  I hate that.  I guess their prices are too high, but they're hoping if I call, they can talk me into buying anyway.  I really hate that, and I REFUSE to call and ask for their price.

Most dealers have pictures of their used trucks online, but a few just post a stock photo from the manufacturer, rather than the actual vehicle for sale.  I hate that.  I'm looking for a truck with an extended cab and the LONG bed.  Most trucks seem to have the short bed these days.

I finally found one that seemed perfect.  But when I ran the VIN through an online VIN decoder, it came up as a SHORT bed.  That's when I realized the picture they posted wasn't the actual truck they had for sale.  I really hate that.

Bastards.

Regards
John
you and I must be cut from the same piece of wood!  I also refuse to call about a price, and having a long bed was always something I felt necessary, but it is really difficult to find, so many people want a TRUCK but want it shorter so they can drive and park easily, they never plan on using it for work so they do not care if the bed is short!

BASTAGES!!!

Ditto. And I want to see decently done pics, of exterior ALL four views, and a few interior shots. Let me know what this vehicle really IS.

Yea, all that and the Dealers that list 100 add's on Craigs with $1 in the price line and a non-vehicle photo. We have a local dealer around here that uses a pic of his 3 month old grandson on all 100 advertisements. He lists search words in the text and it's a pain to filter out his crap. Wouldn't buy a dollar from him for 2¢

You guys wouldn't like My truck... 4.5 foot bed. Perfect. :D

Block out ads that are $100 or less. That knocks out all the dumb stuff on CL

When I run into that stuff, I start flagging them.

LeeRevell said:
And I want to see decently done pics, of exterior ALL four views, and a few interior shots.  Let me know what this vehicle really IS.

Agreed. Any missing information makes me ask myself what they're hiding. Is the interior trashed? Is the rear bumper a twisted wreck?

Also, if there is any damage to the vehicle, I want close ups. Seeing the problems highlighted earns a bit of trust in my book.

I wholeheartedly concur with everything that has been said. Three years ago, I nearly lost my religion while searching for an RV. Thankfully, we eventually found BUSTER for $8,500, but even he wasn't exactly as advertised and we ended up forking over a further $6,500 (to various fix-'em-up people and parts departments) to make him roadworthy enough to feel safe driving him in these mountains. This year we've either put or are in the process of putting another $10,000 of work into him, but the experts (we found some excellent mechanics and RV systems people - two different companies**) tell us that he's good for at least another decade, and probably longer, so we feel that he's more than worth the investment. Some people wouldn't know the truth if jumped up and bit them in their hiney!

Jesse.
** In Abbotsford, BC (a suburb of Vancouver), Grandpa's can't be beat for anything to do with the body of your RV, including plumbing, propane, and custom work, and Tek Truck (they work on all the big rigs - including eighteen-wheelers) boasts the best mechanics around, and my step-father owned his own mechanic's shop so I'm hip to what to look for.

Dang, I opened this thinking it was a general contribution rant as to what really grinds one's gears.

I could go on a complete 2000 word diatribe about my overwhelming and utter contempt for pharmaceutical commercials.

But yeah, I hated dealing with the search for a vehicle. It always stressed me out, whether in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand or in Florida, the very act of finding the right freedom machine was stressful, but it always seemed like the right vehicle, eventually, caught my Eye.

Heartily agree with all of the above!  I, too, am looking for a vehicle, and frustrated by "call for price," no mileage listed, no photo or just a stock photo, too few pictures, or dark or blurry pictures, esp. on CL.  

Here in the Northeast, it would be extremely helpful to have a few pictures of the underside of the car to make sure it's not a rust bucket.  Don't want to drive hours to check out a nice-looking vehicle only to find that the frame is rotting.  One dealer in Ohio did send me pictures when I specifically asked for them, and it saved me what would have been a wasted trip to see the van.

(And yes, SternWake, don't get me started on pharmaceutical commercials, either.  They deserve their own thread!)

RobBob

When researching vans and RV s on Youtube, one guy I found I liked operates under the name "Cereal Marshmallows". He gives the BEST walk arounds and video tours of his vehicles. He is a dealer, but he takes pains to show ALL the blems as well as the good points. He gets underneath to show any rust, points out damages in the body and the interior, cranks the vehicle so you see and hear it run, etc. Wish more were as thorough as he!

More likely the price isn't shown because it's the internet salesman trying to get the "up." At many dealers the first salesperson to talk to the customer about the vehicle seriously gets at least part of the deal even if someone else sells them at the same dealership.

Interesting... I've never had any trouble finding great $800 - $1200 old vans in great shape. Of course, I'm only interested in window vans, and they're usually in far better condition than cargo vans.

the big dealership here doesnt do sticker pricing either. in fact i had to ask 3 times before he told me approximate price, which was less than the actual asking price he tried to give me after the test drive. i talked him down anyway but still wound up walking. you go on thier lot and there is no info on anything. the sales guys dont even know details till they look on computer :/ i could tell he was hedging on my questions as we walked around.
Put a sticker price at least ahole so neither of us waste time strolling around.