I quit vandwelling, or living in any vehicle. Why?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
minimotos95 said:
I have a few designs in my head depending what building materials I can find free/cheap for a fixed, no-suspension sidecar.

I'm interested to see what you come up with. I travel with my dog, too. She's only about 23-ish pounds (about the size of a Beagle) though.

After watching the Fatbike touring video at [1], I'm wondering whether I and my dog could travel on pedal-power alone but with a lightweight sidecar (vs. the tow trailer) option.
~~~

[1] The video is nearly 39 minutes long. I watched it over 2 days. It's not the video itself that transfixed me, but the realization that one could travel all over the southwest on a bicycle. I thought, "Wow, what a cool experience! I wonder if I could do something like that even though I travel with a dog?" BTW, that Fatbike link was originally posted in the "Living out of a Bicycle" thread here at CheapRVLiving, post #39 at https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Living-out-of-a-Bicycle?pid=257521#pid257521

minimotos95 said:
Exactly why I am against putting the dog in a trailer even behind a bicycle all the petro-crap, mag-chloride, salt, etc kicked up by the tires would go towards the dogs face. Besides that he's already up over 40lbs, I think he will be over 75lbs(trailers rated capacity) before the Spring Equinox and still growing.

I have a few designs in my head depending what building materials I can find free/cheap for a fixed, no-suspension sidecar. Luckily I sold my welder to a family member so I still have free reign over it.
I will be going search for materials tomorrow if I can.

Have you thought of or looked at the dutch cargo bikes as an idea/option?  The pup would be in front on those, safe and sound and visible to you at all times.

Something like this: 

image.jpg

I keep eyeballing cargo trikes of all varieties, Some importers list 110cc cargo trikes with the honda horizontal style engine and 2 wheels in the back for an okay price.

I almost gave this guy a call https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/bik/5983887949.html single speed with a nice cargo bed, but after thinking on it overnight, I was able to convince myself that just like any other bicycle it wouldn't stand up to the abuse, especially one that lists no manufacturer bought sight unseen from halfway across the country.
I do still have my Specialized bike if I was to get my hands on a trailer but the bike needs all sorts of nasty greasy maintenance that it will need again every 500 miles.

I did see the Ice Bear Mango-P which is a 107cc Chinese hardtail Z50 clone with a sidecar. for about $1200 delivered. looking at both the photos of it and other small sidecars gives me an idea what I need to do.
PBZ110-1P-9.jpg

Forestyforest is awesome, I also went through watching all of Ed March's RTW videos on the C90adventures channel. too much time spent on youtube... reverse cabin fever is setting in I need to get away from society. I see a little camping excursion coming up if the weather holds.

In my case I would be better off to harness the dog and let him pull ha! I have seen dogs trained to ride on bikes by strapping them to the rider until they got the hang of it. Maybe a back pack kind of deal with a wooden platform behind the seat or if small on the tank.

I 'internet know' a lady that owns Siberian huskies, and that's exactly how she exercises them, harnesses them to her bike and takes them for a 'pull', one dog at a time
Hook a team to a velocipede and you'd cover some serious ground lol

I would love to let my dog pull(part of the reason I got a Mal, they will out draft a goat and are fuzzy canines) but don't want him pulling any real weight until he's at least 18 months or so. If he was able to walk i would have no problem pulling the wagon/pulk on wheels until he's old enough but he struggles to walk more than a few miles at a time and I don't want to push him.
So as is he can't really walk, I need to figure something out, I really do not want to go back to 4 wheels.

minimotos95 said:
I also went through watching all of Ed March's RTW videos on the C90adventures channel.

I didn't know about Ed March until you mentioned him. Currently on episode 4 of his Alaska to Argentina series. Love them!

If anyone else may be interested in this series, here's a link to the first episode:

I guess I am just a liar.
So I was in a blah mood after searching the desert for supplies, I browsing craigslist for parts to build a sidecar I saw a RT4wd Honda civic wagon for dirt cheap and couldn't pass it up and I could actually afford, picking it up tomorrow, need to do some minor work on the fuel system. Other than being the car I had intended to buy many times over the years, it has a roof rack and was posted minutes before I pulled up the "all for sale" on CL.

I'm sure it's temporary as it seems everything I do winds up being, by the time the first set of tabs expires I should be able to re-evaluate everything. Really I see this a a big step backwards but at least it will get me out of this situation I got myself into by getting a puppy with no way of moving him around.

Maybe look at it like an ebb and flow instead? You do one things for a while, then you do another, maybe one things sticks and maybe it doesn't, so you move on to the next thing. No failures, no backward steps, just flow.

minimotos95 said:
I guess I am just a liar.

Nah. Lying is a matter of intent. I don't believe you were trying to deceive anyone. I think that you were sharing your thoughts here as a way of 'thinking out loud'. Nothing wrong with that. No one was harmed by reading your thoughts. All's well that end's well.

Best wishes to you in the new vehicle. I bet the puppy will think it won the lottery now that it can get out of a tent and into a car. My dog loves being in our vehicle (compared to our former tent living situation). She travels well (no car sickness) and every time she smells farm animals, it's as if she just got a new toy -- so cute!

Will you have pictures to share with us anytime soon? Love to see the new ride.

I saw that on craigslist keep us posted as to how it works out for you!

Dealing with carb/vacuum problems. Didn't pack for an overnighter/multi nighter. In fact all I brought besides my EDC was tools, both cameras and my TI coffee mug
Here's a quick cell phone pic
IMG_20170208_145316.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170208_145316.jpg
    IMG_20170208_145316.jpg
    946 KB · Views: 15
Heh, typical Mal being on top of the car! Hopefully he won't get as big as mine was or else one of you will be sleeping outside!

Once I get her running right it should work out pretty good, plan on keeping enough spare parts that if something goes wrong outside of the motor/trans I should be able to fix it.
200w of solar on the roof and 225ah of Trojan on the passenger floorboard(not ideal but I'm not concerned too much). 7'6" of flat sleeping area.

I'm shocked by and love the personality of the Mal, other than the food obsession. His dad was 120 or 130 IIRC. He's only 40-45lbs and 22-23" right now at 4 months so I am thinking about 85-90lbs is what he will end up at

Did I read that right.....that the car is a 4wd? Didn't know such a car existed but that's pretty cool none the less. Congrats on the new wheels and hope it fits the bill til the next idea comes along.

Yes, Real Time 4wd. More like an unintelligent AWD system, once the front wheels slip it sends torque to the rear via a viscous coupler. Supposed to work okay offroad or so I hear from early CRV and other wagon owners.
I had a 1989 civic wagon 2wd wagovan years ago and got 33-35mpg with it, I don't expect to see 30mpg with this but would be happy in the high 20s. Getting a big shipment today that should hopefully get this 100% trustworthy. fingers crossed.