I quit vandwelling, or living in any vehicle. Why?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spaceman Spiff said:
Did that once on a bicycle trip.  Not fun during bug season.

-- Spiff

Drop a no see em net like a mosquito malaria net around you. Make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vagabond,  if you were to do this at home before setting out....

I think you could buy two plastic tarps to lay one on the ground and the other over the top of the bike to where the ends meet.  If you had a couple of pieces of  flat ply wood to place under the center stand it would broaden the support for it.   Then if you had some "no see um's"  where you could cut it to fit in the ends and attach it to the top tarp,  you would have a bug free shelter. 

The top could be lifted off when ready to travel and be folded up.  The bottom just folded up. 
The no see um's could be stitched to the top tarp by someone with a sewing machine.  If they can sew
they would know how to do it where it would stay.   (you could always carry a small pill bottle full of safety pins should something pull loose)

you could use a few more pieces of wood or rocks to hold down the no see um's should the beeze begin to blow.  

But this could be some low bucks traveling for those who don't have much $$$ and need to get to a place where they can find work.

eDJ_ said:
Vagabond,  if you were to do this at home before setting out....

Thanks, but mine was a story of a trip a long time ago, not a current need. Maybe someone else will need those creative ideas.

Tom aka Vagabound

Zonie that teardrop (looks to be a Little Guy) will tow behind a 900cc bike
a5a224_c52cbc1affc54382be165427071b55c5~mv2_d_2816_1584_s_2.webp

This one will tow behind most anything with a motor, full bed with standing height in one very small space

ArtW said:
This one will tow behind most anything with a motor, full bed with standing height in one very small space

Art, what is that thing? Do you have a link for its web page?

Tom

Well silly me, I should have realized someone would want a link, My bad, here you go
http://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/minimatecamper
My friend Gary has one he used to tow with a 600, and is quite pleased with it, I had thought, if I could find a hitch for my Silverwing, he might let me borrow the Kamper, it's really nice, for what it is

I'm very interested in following your progress on this thread Minimoto. Long trips on small scoots have always interested me and I'll be happy to post up a few links to ride reports if you'd like to read them.
The more I research van/RV life, the more I think I should just take one of my bikes and keep it simple. It'll be easy enough to pack everything you need on that little bike and the costs will be a small fraction of hauling a big vehicle around. I can fit all my camping gear, tools and rain gear in a $12 Walmart drybag which easily straps on the back of a scooter seat. Add a topbox and some panniers and you've got more than enough space for everything. I'd consider beefing up the suspension though.
BTW, I've got a Honda C70 that I'd love to do this on, but I'd likely go with my 250 scoot or 650 dual sport, both of which would be about the same cost in regards to initial price and MPGs.
Good luck to you and do keep a blog.

Here's a pic of my 150 scoot loaded on a trip. The small bag on the road goes between my legs on the floorboard.

If you tire of sleeping in a tent and want comfort for a season buy a van, sell when you're ready to ride again.

Nice scoot, Ride4321, I think just my sleeping bag takes as much room as the two bags you have strapped to your seat, lol, where i'd put a usable tent I'm not sure, tarp over scooter maybe

ArtW said:
Nice scoot, Ride4321, I think just my sleeping bag takes as much room as the two bags you have strapped to your seat, lol, where i'd put a usable tent I'm not sure, tarp over scooter maybe

All my camping gear is made for back packing. That larger bag on the back holds my sleeping bag, tent (although it's strapped on top to dry out here), inflatable pillow, camp chair, air mat, and rain gear. Key is using the stuff the packs small. My chair packs to the size of an 8" sub/hoagie. I don't cook when I travel on the bike but do carry a Jetboil for coffee, that also fits in the bag.

Noticed the Minimoto hasn't replied to this thread in awhile, hopefully he'll keep us posted on his progress.

While we wait for MM to return here's some light reading on small scooter travels.

Nathan and Dot, Sydney to London on a Postie bike...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/sydney-to-london-on-a105cc-honda-callled-dot.460631/

Around the world on a Honda Ruckus...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...ruckus-scooter-with-a-bicycle-in-tow.1050889/

Underboning the World - 2 Symbas, 1 Couple, No Sense...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/underboning-the-world-2-symbas-1-couple-no-sense.716979/

Enjoy

I know, what MM wants to do takes a lot of determination and if he pulls it off it should be admired and respected. I couldn't do it on such a small scoot. Hell, I tried riding my Honda Passport 45 miles to my brothers house on 55mph roads and aborted because even riding on the shoulder people wouldn't pass me. Mirrors vibrating, couldn't see well behind me, church goers refusing to pass...I turned around and went home after 10 miles. Not for the faint of heart.
Fascinating stories of minimalist travel. I read a post here the other day about the difference of the people on this site and the big RVer's that take so much along with them. Pretty much the same difference but to an even smaller scale.

I am really unsure exactly what I am doing. I got a ride to Ehrenburg but without any means of transportation found the desert not suited for the lifestyle with no motorized support and the responsibility of a canine. So now I am couchsurfing again. Investigating building a simple sidecar for the dog. Planning to head to the 4 corners soon area maybe with the 50 but after that I have plans on getting to the northwest.

The 50 is all done and registered, did a top speed test, 28mph so 20 is the cruising speed and I am okay with. If i was to collect the parts to rebuild it with a 52mm jug and slug along with a smaller rear sprocket and 17mm carb would make it able to go faster than I care to go.
IMG_20161230_092657_zps3sdy2ahs.jpg

BradKW said:
I live on an island where scooters are considered normal transportation and have owned a number of them. A few thoughts:

1) The only advantage to 50cc (49cc really) is that it doesn't require motorcycle license or insurance.
2) Buy a Yamaha. When something goes wrong, service and parts are easy to find. Honda is an option on those criteria, but I'd go Yamaha.
3) Avoid Chinese scooters...the best of them are hard to get parts/service, and the worst of them will fall apart right under you...quickly.
4) 49cc scooters are not fast and don't have the balls to get you out of a tight spot. Figure 35 mph.
5) You won't see a mileage improvement over your motorcycle, despite manufacturer lies...err, I mean claims. A 90 lbs girl might get 65+ mph on a stock Zuma if ridden just right, but a 190+ lbs man with luggage and camp equipment will be pressed to get 50+ mph.
6) Scooters in general just aren't made to haul much of anything, and the smaller the scooter the more weight over long distance is going to disagree with it.
Wow, scooters you say. When I lived there it was roller skates and bicycles. Probably not so quiet anymore either. 
I still travel with only one backpack.

DrJean said:

That's a cool option but frankly, try to imagine what it would be like to be the dog. You're essentially trapped within the trailer, behind the exhaust pipe, possibly for hours on end. If the exhaust didn't seriously damage your brain and lungs, the noise from the exhaust being practically in your face full-time might drive you batty.

It's an excellent option for a cycle without exhaust & noise (i.e., pedal power) but I think that a sidecar would be a much more humane option for one's beloved furry friend.

PathofAsha said:
Wow, scooters you say. When I lived there it was roller skates and bicycles. Probably not so quiet anymore either. 
I still travel with only one backpack.

The main annoyance is the 2-strokes, they are loud as hell.  When we are in KW we always rent scooters (for years they were our main three season transportation here in IL), but I would only rent a 4-stroke.

Richard said:
That's a cool option but frankly, try to imagine what it would be like to be the dog. You're essentially trapped within the trailer, behind the exhaust pipe, possibly for hours on end. If the exhaust didn't seriously damage your brain and lungs, the noise from the exhaust being practically in your face full-time might drive you batty.

It's an excellent option for a cycle without exhaust & noise (i.e., pedal power) but I think that a sidecar would be a much more humane option for one's beloved furry friend.

Exactly why I am against putting the dog in a trailer even behind a bicycle all the petro-crap, mag-chloride, salt, etc kicked up by the tires would go towards the dogs face. Besides that he's already up over 40lbs, I think he will be over 75lbs(trailers rated capacity) before the Spring Equinox and still growing.

I have a few designs in my head depending what building materials I can find free/cheap for a fixed, no-suspension sidecar. Luckily I sold my welder to a family member so I still have free reign over it.
I will be going search for materials tomorrow if I can.