I need electricity for a small heater (its cold)~ prefer solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody has a bad day and I guess Bob's was today.

He normally gives super advice, so we keep him around.... ;)

I agree with Bob. Renting a space for the few coldest months was a valid suggestion. Making that suggestion while mocking other peoples suggestions made the whole post unacceptable.

Sounds like you are getting excellent responses to me.

Can I add 2 things?

1: that the "hot water bottle" can be much hotter, and keep you warm for longer, if you put it in a wool sock, or other insulating material around it.

You can pour VERY hot water, into the bottle, and still not get burned, if it is insulated. the rate of heat reduction is also reduced. Insulation is "Win Win"

and more importantly:

2. Tell someone, ANYONE, what is happening, then ask them for access to a plug-in.... Ask and you will receive.. It is human nature to help others.

Wishing you joy, security, & happiness from afar,
f

I've been in campgrounds where the electricity went out due to storms and another time due to a forest fire. I think that it is very important to know how to stay warm without plugging in.

While there were lots of good suggestions given, I appreciate the ones from the people who have slept in below freezing and O degree temperatures. You never know when you may be stuck without the modern conveniences. Being a "purist" has nothing to do with it.

As far as snarky, it is much more difficult to make a point on a forum than it is in person. You lose the ability to assess facial expressions when someone says something that might be interpreted as snarky when they really have a dry sense of humor.

Let's try to be nice.

EWe are nice. We decided to allow Bob to stick around. :)

I recommend this catalytic heater: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-SportCat-Catalytic-Heater/13228604
It has a very low output (1,500 Btus) so should be perfect in your van - if it is insulated. I use a similar one in my Aliner, which has more square footage to heat, but is probably a lot better insulated. This model will run 14 hours on a single 1lb propane tank, making it very affordable to run! Catalytic heaters are very safe too. They are flameless so there is much less danger of catching something on fire, plus they do not produce carbon monoxide, so you won't wake up dead in the morning from CO poisoning. All propane heaters consume oxygen though (just like you do), though this one consumes less than most, so you need a small crack in one window to make sure you both have enough air to breathe.

Chip

Batteries (and solar) could definitely work.

They may or may not be practical and reasonable cost for you.

The average human generates less than 100 watts of heat per hour. If you were to add 100 watts of electric heat inside your sleeping bag it would likely get unbearably hot. 50 watts per hour (50wh) would likely be plenty.

For an 8 hour period, 50 wh is a total of 400wh, which at 12V is 33 amp-hr. A 100 amp-hr deep cycle battery (preferably AGM if inside your living quarters) could easily provide this. 200W to 300W of solar (which today is under $300 to buy) would recharge that battery most days.

Yes you can use an electric 12 volt blanket. Yes they draw about 4 amps. 4 x 8 hours is 33 amp hours. But they are designed to turn off at 30 or 45 minutes. For that reason I'm sure I would not jury-rig to keep it on all night.

I would probably use a decent small 115V electric blanket and a efficient inverter. An inverter can reach 90% or more efficiency and the other 10% is dissipated as heat, which adds to the warmth of the vehicle interior. You can even get inverters that don't run their fan below a certain power draw if the fan noise would bother you.

I also wouldn't have a problem designing my own controller for a 12V blanket, but I can see how that might be a problem for non-engineering types.

I thought what Bob said was hilarious! Bob has a great sense of humor. I guess it is how you read it! I was disturbed by the fact that the suggestion of an RV Park and paying rent and utilities to have the conveniences of shower, heat, electric, etc was a solution. Staying warm,. ( I have been very comfortable at -12), staying clean and eating are the easy things. There are much harder mountains to climb in the process. For me, a RV Park would be a nightmare....where could my dog and I take a piss? Would my dog and I have to wear a collar and leash? Could I play 'Carlos Santana Music' very loud at 3 AM?

compassrose said:
Bob, you are being an ass. You are also doing a disservice to others. If someone is NOT set up to be off shore power for either extreme cold or extreme heat, then they should pull into a park and and plug in. Grow up.

As for the Southwest.... I am in NM. Tonight's low is 17F and I live in a valley.

Some of you take stealthing to far extremes and look down your noses, snearing at those of us who don't. It permeates everything that is posted on this forum. In being so intolerant of those who stay in RV parks, you are saying to newbies, who may not be completely prepared for extreme temps, "you are not worthy of calling yourself a vandweller if you are not stealthing". And the newbies, in trying to fit in, may be putting themselves in danger. Instead of having a stealthing contest, you should have given better advice. And the newbies should stop paying so much attention to you.

You are overreacting. I've seen no intolerance to people who stay in RV parks, or don't stealth. Several longtime members here aren't stealthy, nor do they always camp in free or low cost camping. Your 'permeates every post in this forum' is sheer rancor, for some unknown reason, as well as absolutely false and offensive.

Bobs comment was spot on, however - not everyone can afford to pop into a place with an electric hookup, and needs alternative methods to stay warm (read as 'alive'). This forum generally makes no assumptions about individuals, and the assumption that someone could afford to just buck up and pay the campground fees was slightly thoughtless - not intentionaly so.

If you're not happy with your perception of the offensive permeations and poor advice, you know where the virtual door is located. I'm disappointed in you.

Kat

Having survived two Norwegian winters above the Arct Circle in a tent (thank you Uncle Sam) the best consideration I can offer you is your selection of sleeping bags. A two bag system - an inner down bag and an outer arctic bag. Place damp clothing (not wet) between the layers and they'll be dry and warm in the morning. Wool socks and a cap on your head help. You want every layer to be slightly loose- no constriction of air anywhere. Warm air has to circulate. Especially true for your clothing. Wool long johns. You may have to actually vent at night due to warmth. You want some body heat to escape the long johns and warm the down liner. Check out a military supply store. Make sure the outer bag you get is large enough for the liner and yourself without being snug. What ever else you do or do t do, the sleeping system is IMPORTANT.

Bob gives better advice than I on heaters. More experience. Warm the (insulated) van, then shut it off. Should you need warmth again, get up, run the heater a bit, turn it off, then back to sleep. The inside of your SUV does not need to be warm. The inside of your sleeping bag does.

Insulate the interior of the van as well as possible. Fewer occasions to run the heater.

CGs have been mentioned, if you have the means. An extension cord and Walmart brand heater. Even if only for the worst nights.

Solar may not be an option. Are you parking in one spot with available light during the day?

And, if you haven't been driven off my the uncharacteristic infighting, allow me to apologize. I am embarrassed by some of the behavior, but only on a very rare occasion. Everyone here is a good person at heart, and only wishes to help you succeed.

I guess we should not post advice that some on this forum don't agree? All advice should be welcome. Let the questioner select the best for them self from all arraignments. What is suicide for some is comfort for others.

Bob, it's not all about you. It's not about your girlfriend. It's about someone who sounds new, inexperienced and unprepared. It's only mid November and Kat is running into trouble,. What is she going to do in January?

I don't uderstand how this became such an issue.

My girlfriend literally has $600 a month to live on. She can NOT just go to a A RV park and pay $300-$400 because she can't figure out how to stay warm. If she does, she will have to stop eating because she has fixed expenses that she can't skip. So to just say to her forget trying to stay warm, just go to an RV park is not an acceptable answer, it belittles her.

"What do you mean you can't afford to stay at an RV Park? What's the matter with you?!" Is what I hear in your attitude.

I'm afraid that too often our members forget who this forum is meant for. I've said many times that this forum exists for one audience: those in need. Everyone else is welcome and I'm glad you're here. But one thing I always bear in mind is my core audience.

The reason the website, forum and blog exist is because one cold Alaska fall morning I woke up in my box van to a car parked beside me. I could just barely make out through the frost that it was a woman and her children who were living in their car. My heart broke for her and I told myself that I would do everything in my power to hep her and anyone else who needed to hear the good news of vandwelling. With all my heart and energy I've tried to be faithful to that promise.

Since the economy crashed in 2008 I've gotten literally 1000s of emails from people who were in desperate straights. They lost they jobs, their homes and now their apartments. The unemployment ran out, and now they have to move into their car, can I help them? I do what I can,. Sometimes their just looking for hope, for an encouraging word.

So NO, telling someone here to just move into an RV Park is not an acceptable answer. It's entirely reasonabe to suggest that if they can afford it maybe it would be a good idea. Or to offer to help them find a cheap one near them. But to say:

"What's the matter with you people, why are you telling her such stupid things? Obviously the only solution is to move into an RV Park!"

While some of you folks are trying to figure out what to do with all your retirement savings, on a regular basis I'm helping people figure out where there next meal is coming from. You're very welcome to be here, :) and to talk about retirement savings. But only as long as you always bear in mind the true audience for this forum.

Maybe I'm over-reacting and being over-protective. It wouldn't be the first time!! I hope you can forgive me and overlook it. It just comes with the territory! :heart:

Bob

I think it's time we stopped hijacking Kats thread. This thread is about HER needs - not us. I'D be surprised if she ever bothers returning, much less asks a question.

Drop it - or start a new thread elsewhere.

Kat, please let us know if you were able to put together a warmer environment for yourself. I read a lot of good ideas here. You mentioned you had an egg crate pad under you and I am thinking that the cold would seep through both the seat and that pretty easily from underneath. Hopefully, with a correct layering of items under, in, on you and over, you will create a warm cocoon at least for sleeping.

Wishing you good dreams and a safe and warm sleep.

Thank you all for offering great advice!
First:I found a parking location which has granted me permission to plug in at night; I purchased a small Pelonis fan-forced heater unit (it has a thermostat to control temp) This is my first night with it and this is exactly what I needed! I does not produce HOT forced air - I can control the temp and the lowest setting works well (window is cracked to allow cord run out and into plug.
Second:I lined the floor of my SUV with closed foam camper mats from Wal Mart;
I bought heater socks! THE BEST!!; Fleece PJ's, hat and aloe gloves (eh, I figured if I'm going to wear gloves for warmth, I'd buy these for the added benefit for my dry winter hands).

I'm feeling GREAT!:D

That's wonderful to hear!!

I'm so glad that you're not using any kind of fuel based heater. An SUV is just too darned small to be taking chances on one of those.

And yes, those heater socks are the bomb aren't they!!