Cold Nose

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwellerose

Reaction score
Hey out there . . .
I'm in the 'testing' stage of preparing to be living out of my SUV.
I spent a night out in my vehicle 2 nights ago but got no sleep
because of the temperature inside the vehicle. I don't have anything
to warm the vehicle. I do plan on getting a burner . . . like Bob does
for heat. But until then . . .

I have a 2 in foam mattress laying on top of a self inflating mattress;
they lay directly on the carpeted floor/folded down back seat.
The foam mattress was extremely warm; no problem there. But the
cold air going up my nose was too much to bear. I tried covering my
nose with a scarf but that felt like I wasn't getting enough air. I tried
pulling the sheet over my nose, but that felt suffocating. It wasn't a
good feeling sweating under the covers, yet really cold on my face.
Does anyone have any ideas? The temp that night was 49F; I shudder
to think about when it's even colder at night.

Thanks for any suggestions. Rose

I don’t sleep well if the outside air is too cold, either, even if my body is warm.

I don’t know what to suggest to keep your face warm other than maybe a tiny tent of some sort?

I wonder if you could rig up one of those meant for people sleeping in hammocks, to enclose your face without touching it?

You mean like a pup tent? My first thought was a face mask you can get at Walmart. One you can breathe but face somehow covered.

Hey out there . . .
I'm in the 'testing' stage of preparing to be living out of my SUV.
I spent a night out in my vehicle 2 nights ago but got no sleep
because of the temperature inside the vehicle. I don't have anything
to warm the vehicle. I do plan on getting a burner . . . like Bob does
for heat. But until then . . .

I have a 2 in foam mattress laying on top of a self inflating mattress;
they lay directly on the carpeted floor/folded down back seat.
The foam mattress was extremely warm; no problem there. But the
cold air going up my nose was too much to bear. I tried covering my
nose with a scarf but that felt like I wasn't getting enough air. I tried
pulling the sheet over my nose, but that felt suffocating. It wasn't a
good feeling sweating under the covers, yet really cold on my face.
Does anyone have any ideas? The temp that night was 49F; I shudder
to think about when it's even colder at night.

Thanks for any suggestions. Rose

Hi,
I was wondering if maybe the dryness of the air was part of the problem?
I do know that some people (like myself) really don't do well in colder temps. Which Is why making the inside of my minivan super comfortably warm was a major priority for me. Basically, I keep my minivan temps inside about the same as I would keep my home inside. No lower than 70F

That said, I recently slept in the minivan for over a week with temps hovering around 30F - 32F by sunrise and was so warm I had to actually open windows just to stay cool. Mind you, I use a diesel heater but it was on it's lowest setting. I'm wondering if you have had this problem with your face being too cold most of your adult life or if this was a one off peculiar incident?

For you, if it's also a dry air problem, you might consider a propane heater since they give off plenty of moisture along with the heat.

I will say I completely understand your dilemma. I'm practically allergic to the cold. Some people say that those upper tier sleeping bags are the answer but I think different people have different levels of thermal production and thermal regulation from their bodies and while a good sleeping bag might work for some, I think there are also those who may not make enough body heat. Usually my extremities are freezing even though I am in very good athletic condition and have always been, meaning i doubt it's a circulation issue or result of bad health.

It seems you may be one to require a source of heat to warm the air inside your vehicle.
I would suggest trying either a propane or diesel heater. I personally use diesel heaters and they cost about 30 cents a night to run all night.

Best Regards

I don’t sleep well if the outside air is too cold, either, even if my body is warm.

I don’t know what to suggest to keep your face warm other than maybe a tiny tent of some sort?

I wonder if you could rig up one of those meant for people sleeping in hammocks, to enclose your face without touching it?
I appreciate your input. I didn't know such a thing existed. I will look online to see what's out there.
A small tent to go around my head would probably do the trick; Thanks : )

Hi,
I was wondering if maybe the dryness of the air was part of the problem?
I do know that some people (like myself) really don't do well in colder temps. Which Is why making the inside of my minivan super comfortably warm was a major priority for me. Basically, I keep my minivan temps inside about the same as I would keep my home inside. No lower than 70F

That said, I recently slept in the minivan for over a week with temps hovering around 30F - 32F by sunrise and was so warm I had to actually open windows just to stay cool. Mind you, I use a diesel heater but it was on it's lowest setting. I'm wondering if you have had this problem with your face being too cold most of your adult life or if this was a one off peculiar incident?

For you, if it's also a dry air problem, you might consider a propane heater since they give off plenty of moisture along with the heat.

I will say I completely understand your dilemma. I'm practically allergic to the cold. Some people say that those upper tier sleeping bags are the answer but I think different people have different levels of thermal production and thermal regulation from their bodies and while a good sleeping bag might work for some, I think there are also those who may not make enough body heat. Usually my extremities are freezing even though I am in very good athletic condition and have always been, meaning i doubt it's a circulation issue or result of bad health.

It seems you may be one to require a source of heat to warm the air inside your vehicle.
I would suggest trying either a propane or diesel heater. I personally use diesel heaters and they cost about 30 cents a night to run all night.

Best Regards
hhhmmm . . . will look into propane or butane heat. I'll have to make sure of ventilation though; I don't have anything other than windows to crack

Check out bivys (aka bivy sack, or bivouac). It's like a mini tent covering your sleeping bag, inside of a van or a regular tent. It traps your body heat in a small area.

In backpacking I pull my buff up as far as needed. Up to my nose most nights and over my nose when near freezing.