I need electricity for a small heater (its cold)~ prefer solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrowneyedKat3 said:
Thank you all for offering great advice!
First:I found a parking location which has granted me permission to plug in at night; I purchased a small Pelonis fan-forced heater unit (it has a thermostat to control temp) This is my first night with it and this is exactly what I needed! I does not produce HOT forced air - I can control the temp and the lowest setting works well (window is cracked to allow cord run out and into plug.
Second:I lined the floor of my SUV with closed foam camper mats from Wal Mart;
I bought heater socks! THE BEST!!; Fleece PJ's, hat and aloe gloves (eh, I figured if I'm going to wear gloves for warmth, I'd buy these for the added benefit for my dry winter hands).

I'm feeling GREAT!:D

Outstanding!

Kat,

I have that little heater and it ROCKS! I used it all last winter in a 15' travel trailer as the sole heat source. This winter, it's still going strong.

Just an FYI...Target sells a double-layered fleece blanket, not cheap, but it is right up there with that heater in my "things I am soo glad I have" list. I bought a king size when I was in my sticks n bricks and it survived the purge to van living. I folded it in thirds and, depending on weather, slept on top of or under however many layers I needed at the time. I was never cold (this was before I had the trailer with electrical hookup).

I will add that the other night, predicted to be in the low 20's, the power here where I am now parked blipped off, just for a moment. I set up my Mr Heater Buddy, just in case.

Anyway, that's a great heater! Oh wait...did I already say that?

I know Bob has mentioned these as have other members, but I have a Mr Heater Buddy which I use in my van if it gets cold enough. It has 2 settings, low (about 4500btus) and high (about 9000btsus). I bought it on sale in Walmart for $69! I usually try to warm up the van prior to going to bed and then shut it off. If I get too cold during the night I turn the heater on low and go back to sleep. I also have a ventilation fan that I leave on all night regardless whether I'm running the heater or not, AND the Mr Heater Buddy and Little Buddy both have low oxygen shutoffs, as well as tip-over sensors. With either heater you have to keep flammable/low melting point objects away from the front of it, which is not difficult in my van, but which may be in an SUV. I think the Mr Heater Buddy is one of my best investments...

Kat - if you see this, I would love a link to the heater you purchased.