I just bought 40 acres NW of Holbrook AZ.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my 2¢ and I've been saying this a lot lately, contact a Lawyer familiar with property law, ideally in AZ, before signing anything.
Folks on the Net mean well but don't pay your bills.

He can point to anything, such as a stored part and claim you are trashing the place, and break the contract.  

I had a guy like that, and paid him off before he could pull this.  Then I flipped the place for cash.  He was known to wait until year 3 of a 5 year contract. At the end of year 2 ~~~   :p

My land contracts have gone well without any problems. I have always looked at it this way if all else fales at least my rent was cheap while I lived there! Many land contracts are in many ways rent to own, you can't get a traditional bank loan on land. As long as you can do what you want on the land I think it is worth it. But I would not invest a lot of money on improvements until it is paid for and in your name.

Unless you want to be in that particular place,there are better deals on better property elsewhere.I bought 5 acres joining my place last year for $2500.Rolling woodland with a creek.Good Luck with whatever you decide.

FD: I am a Real Estate Broker in Az.
The contract states you will not own any equity in the property until it is paid for in full. The seller will pay the property taxes as the property will remain in his name. So you can lose the property at any given time if you do not abide by any party of the contract. As the seller can inspect the property at any time, this is way too risky.

What you want is a Deed of Trust and a Note.

Lady Jo

What does a person do with 40 acres in the desert?

in a lot of areas in the rural west the counties have placed minimums on the acreage that parcels can be broken down to. I don't know about this area, but 40 acres is a common minimum. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
in a lot of areas in the rural west the counties have placed minimums on the acreage that parcels can be broken down to.  I don't know about this area,  but 40 acres is a common minimum.  highdesertranger

Thanks did not know that, but it makes sense.

In Utah counties require a parcel to be 40 acres before any building can be done in many cases. This was as was told to me by local who was asked Why would I want to buy 40 when I only want 5 ?

gojo said:
What does a person do with 40 acres in the desert?

A lot of people, like myself love the desert. Its certainly not for everyone. I can't really answer your question I guess. I like the colors, there's probably more bird and other wildlife than you may imagine. Sometimes at night when i look up and see an incredible sky, I feel so very alive and grateful I've lived to experience the desert. Isometimes it can be so quiet I can hear my heartbeat. I leave when it gets over 95 during the day. Nights are always reasonable.

Diane

A contract for deed is a dangerous document from many angles. First, you don’t know the seller has good title you won’t get insurance till you have paid it off. Second, the seller can sell to a third party. If there is an ownership dispute then you may have to battle two people in court. Pass this deal up for a legitimate sale

Before you respond to a thread take a minute and note when the thread was started and if the original poster is still active in the forum. In this case the thread was posted on 04/04/2016 and the person who posted it made one further response the next day on the 5th and has not participated in this forum since 04/05/016.  So not point in bumping this thread into activity because it is dead and done.