I got a Step Van today!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TucsonAZ said:
Here's the crux of the issue, with the MCS, there isn't much that works for me in terms of insulation and chemicals I can actually be around. I was planning to keep the skin for that reason alone, it's all offgassed up there and at least offers something, along with most of the roof being shaded by the solar. Same with the walls, not much I can do there except chase the good weather! The good news is being from AZ, I'm used to some heat, I think it's 107 out today and I will be using this in the PNW and in good weather to escape the heat. I will have to come up with some solution though.

I'm in the same situation with the MCS. Glad you brought this up as an issue because the chemical sensitivity is just one of the many reasons I'm wanting to do my own build.

Have you considered using denim or wool insulation? Bonded Logic makes Ultra Touch Denim Insulation with no chemicals added and is considered VOC free (available at Home Depot and maybe Lowe's). The wool insulation I've checked on is from Oregon Shepherd. Their website shows the blown insulation, but I'm pretty sure it's available in batt form as well.

Don't know of anyone that has used these in an RV type retrofit, but I know both have been used successfully in Tumbleweed and FourLights Tiny House builds.

Thoughts anyone?

TejasThreads said:
I'm in the same situation with the MCS. Glad you brought this up as an issue because the chemical sensitivity is just one of the many reasons I'm wanting to do my own build.

Have you considered using denim or wool insulation? Bonded Logic makes Ultra Touch Denim Insulation with no chemicals added and is considered VOC free (available at Home Depot and maybe Lowe's). The wool insulation I've checked on is from Oregon Shepherd. Their website shows the blown insulation, but I'm pretty sure it's available in batt form as well.

Don't know of anyone that has used these in an RV type retrofit, but I know both have been used successfully in Tumbleweed and FourLights Tiny House builds.

Thoughts anyone?

I've kind of given up on insulation, I got the Aluma-foil for a radiant barrier, not sure it will be of any use (even with the proper air gaps) but figured why not, it's supposed to be MCS safe. The other items all have borax or something else going on with them to meet fire/pest codes, simply put, I don't trust them at all and want this to be a safe place for me without any doubt about what's in it being safe. Perlite is safe, lower R than I'd like but safe all the same however, I didn't think it would serve me well in a mobile application.

How long have you had the MCS? I made mention of it so others could find this in a search.

I'm really sorry about the MCS. I've known quite a few people forced into vandwelling because of MCS--it was literally the only way they could live. I had a friend who got Toxic Mold Poisoning that developed into full-blown MCS and he could not be inside any building for more than a few hours or he was very sick. He lived in the desert in a tent for 2 years then saved the money to have a guy custom build him a Tear Drop trailer with all aluminum inside.

You know it occurs to me that there might be an opportunity in this for you. Have you considered blogging about your new life? There are so many people with MCS that it would be a great opportunity for service to you and a chance to make some money while helping people. That's a rare thing to be able to do both.

After awhile I think an eBook on Kindle would do really well for you and help others.

if you are interested in that, I'd be willing to offer you any help I can.
Bob

Here are a couple more photos, one is of the trailer I built on the back of the Corolla I rebuilt with 1,840 watts of solar on the back which I got at $0.69 a watt for American made panels (that's a really good price).

The other is the side of E.T. (Entenmann's Truck) the other day just to give you some idea of the surface temps I'm dealing with here.

The last one is the 1/8th angle I've installed on the bottom and sides to rivet the back panel to. The top will be riveted directly to the top door sill and I have four 1" square aluminum tubes that will be added for rigidity and support. All will be done with sealed 3/16th rivets so it's water tight.

I'm also working on skinning the rear door which is a slight project but I really want it to be stealth and driving around with a polished aluminum parabolic mirror on the back of my truck doesn't give that stealth feeling at all!

akrvbob said:
I'm really sorry about the MCS. I've known quite a few people forced into vandwelling because of MCS--it was literally the only way they could live. I had a friend who got Toxic Mold Poisoning that developed into full-blown MCS and he could not be inside any building for more than a few hours or he was very sick. He lived in the desert in a tent for 2 years then saved the money to have a guy custom build him a Tear Drop trailer with all aluminum inside.

You know it occurs to me that there might be an opportunity in this for you. Have you considered blogging about your new life? There are so many people with MCS that it would be a great opportunity for service to you and a chance to make some money while helping people. That's a rare thing to be able to do both.

After awhile I think an eBook on Kindle would do really well for you and help others.

if you are interested in that, I'd be willing to offer you any help I can.
Bob

Thanks a lot Bob, that's a a warming response. Honestly, I attempt to ignore it as much as I can and only talk about it where I must or feel it will help others.

A few years ago I got so ticked off about it and the acceptable chemical levels in the air I decided to make a point and file for disability. Well, I guess I underestimated just how "sick" I was because I got approved by the first judge I went in front of (telephonically anyway). That was about 9 months ago and while affirming, also made me less able to tell myself I was fine and normal. The key for me though is not to have this "disabled" mentality, the MCS means there are things to overcome but hell, being alive means that so I just try to find a balance of accepting, acknowledging, adjusting and balancing.

I would really love to help others and that's actually important to me, part of the motivation behind posting this was just that. The issue however is twofold, firstly, I have never been good with details, I'm a big picture, brainstorming kind of guy, the details make me want to hurl! Secondly, any progress I made in that area with age and maturity was canceled out and than some by the "fuzzy" or "foggy" brain of MCS. The idea of a blog for me currently seems like a HUGE undertaking when I sometimes have to spend 30 minutes writing something that would have normally taken me 10 minutes. Hopefully E.T. will give me a space to undertake things like that and spend more time on the details.

Oh and here is another of the chest freezer I got for the stepvan and modified to run warmer so that it would use less energy on solar, fairly easy and straight forward conversion and it now uses half the power it was even on the warmest setting previously allowable.

Attachments

• IMG_00003895.jpg
    IMG_00003895.jpg
    405.3 KB
  • IMG_00004010.jpg
    IMG_00004010.jpg
    353.6 KB
  • IMG_00004040.jpg
    IMG_00004040.jpg
    315.2 KB
  • IMG_00004044.jpg
    IMG_00004044.jpg
    275.3 KB
Can you share the basics on this freezer conversion? Thx.

TucsonAZ said:
How long have you had the MCS? I made mention of it so others could find this in a search.

It's been about 40 years since I first started showing signs of sensitivity. For the first 10 years or so I was told it was all in my head. After ending up in the ER a few times unable to breathe, they started taking my concerns seriously.

Although I've heard of other people having MCS, the only one I've known personally who had it was an aunt who lived in an RV. Until now, I had not made the connection that this might be the reason.

Well, this has given me a lot to think about. It may be worth it to start a new thread just for this topic.

Here's my progress from tonight along with giving you some idea of what adding the old door skin will look like, I'm planning on attaching the hardware and side trim as well so it should look very stock still.

Attachments

• IMG_00004049.jpg
    IMG_00004049.jpg
    211.7 KB
  • IMG_00004052.jpg
    IMG_00004052.jpg
    299.7 KB
  • IMG_00004056.jpg
    IMG_00004056.jpg
    217.3 KB
We have the same Grumman body, so here are a few pics of the roof after the aluminum trim and fiberglass insulation are removed. The supports are aluminum channel and 24" on center. The fasteners are plastic and the aluminum center pin spreads the legs of the fastener to hold it in place. You remove them by using dykes and breaking the plastic head off then grabbing the stud and pulling down. East to do!

pics:

I am new to all of this, but a few years a friend of mine wanted solar for the van, but he was really afraid of holes on the roof itself. The way we we ended up designing it had it bolt to the sides of the with a short piece of aluminum that was vertical to about an inch above the roof and then the crossmembers. We just used 2 of these behind the side door and at the back, with the 2 solar panels on angled aluminum between them.

I'm going to be poking a lot of holes in the one piece roof of my Grumman. Fantastic Vent is a 14 x 14 hole with associated screws to hold it down. Solar with tip up mounts will be another 40 or so holes, including the junction box on the roof where the cables enter the vehicle. If properly done there will be no problems. Regular maintenance, yes that is to be expected. The plus about all aluminum construction is that the insulation is sheet styrofoam and the walls and sub ceiling are a plastic composite, so wood rot and mildew are not a real concern should a leak occur.

Yeah, I poked some holes in the roof for sure, it just couldn't be helped and that is what it is, worst case, I shell out $300 for a new aluminum skin for it.

As a side note, here is a fuel consumption update:

First in Casa Grande $100.67 at mileage 175,791.8
Second Outside of Yuma $86.80 at mileage 175.987.7 = 24.801gal
Third at Golden Acorn $58.80 at mileage 176,111.8 = 15.478gal
Fourth in Lompoc (partial) $78.78 at 176,461.2gal = 20.575gal
Fifth in A-something $97.59 at 176,550.3 = 24.902gal
sixth in bay area $118.00 at 176,812.5 = 31.061gal
seventh before Eureka $5 at 177,090.0 = 1.163gal
eighth in Eureka $138.46 at 177,109.5 = 32.358gal
ninth $80.02 in Grants Pass at 177,292.3 = 20.212gal
tenth $53.00 in Eugene (partial) at 177,448.3 = 14.328gal
eleventh $112.30 before Olympia at 177,647.8 = 29.875gal

Total $929.42
1,856 miles
214.751 gallons
8.642mpg

8.62? Makes me glad I have the Cummins 4BT diesel with manual 4 speed transmission that gets 17 mpg. I don't think I could live with that cost of fuel.

66788, after another couple hundred thousand trouble free miles on that Cummins you will like it even more!

One of the best engines ever put in a vehicle.
Bob

66788 said:
8.62? Makes me glad I have the Cummins 4BT diesel with manual 4 speed transmission that gets 17 mpg. I don't think I could live with that cost of fuel.

I have owned 6 diesels, in fact, I even named my dog Diesel I loved them so much. With time however, I grew tired of them, found many deals on them, better prices than I paid for this one with a 350 in fact. Without question I will pay the additional cost of fuel to not have another diesel as it was the first thing on my list to avoid. I know all the upsides to them, have owned Cummins, International, VW, and even Mercedes so I'm not nocking them and see the value in them but not for me, not on this project.

As a side note, yesterday I was looking for a hitch for a Pathfinder and the guy had a nice Chevy truck sitting there that was being scrapped due to title issues. I asked him how much to swap the 350 into my step van (I was just curious in the event I was in a little town with motor issues) and he said he'd do it for $850 labor and all.

I see having a 350 in front of a 4L80e like having a .357 or .22 and the diesel like having a .454 casull, I see the value in the .454 but know I can knock on any rural door in the US and the person that answers will have a .38 or .357 I could use so for my use and needs the 350 is a FAR better fit.

As an aside, I have never had a single diesel I owned to work out to being less expensive long term, every one I owned in fact was sold due to the associated costs of owning it.

It's obvious that you have had less than satisfactory experiences with diesel motors. The fact remains that over 90% of large truck motors are diesel and for the obvious reasons.

Diesel vs. gas is like the age old Ford vs. Chevy debate. There are great diesel motors and great gas motors, just as there are great Fords and great Chevys.

I'll take my chances with the Cummins 4BT and I'm thankful I got a screaming deal on it, and I'm glad you got the motor you like. I do hope it gives you all the service you expect and you have many trouble free miles with it.

I have never had anything but good luck with every diesel I have owned, be it a newer diesel or my preference (which you have) the older, mechanical diesels. When I got my Excursion, I had to look 1,000 miles from home to find the one I wanted with the 7.3 in it. I have also off-roaded A LOT in my life, the 4BT is common in that community and often debated on that or the 350 when doing a swap.

At the end of the day, it's this simple for me, I'm broke, I travel rural much of my time and I need to know that $750 and a weekend will get me back on the road in a worse case situation. I've been in a little town trying to get parts for my diesels (forget finding somebody to work on them) in the past and it's my experience with that which made me want something more off the shelf when putting myself in situations where I'm 2,000 miles from home, in a small town with fewer resources and with limited money to spend.

There are other little things, for example, I didn't want to deal with the additional weight (close to 300 pounds) up front as I needed my battery bank further forward. I also hate the vibration of the 4BT, I've had friends do swaps with water filled motor mounts and everything you can think of to keep the vibration down or even to be able to see out of their mirrors, and I didn't wanna deal with it in a vehicle I was living in and have so many sensitive electronics, wood, screws, wiring, and things that like to vibrate loose.

It sounds like you have what you need for your ideal uses and I for mine. I made a very informed and educated choice and as you pointed out, over 90% of large truck motors are diesel and they're also fleet maintained. Were I to always be within 150 miles of home, the diesel would have been my very first choice, beyond that, in a vehicle I'm going to have to maintain myself, I will go with a gas motor all day long, twice on Sundays.

Oddly enough, I agree 100% with both of you--although the math doesn't add up!

I actually agree with TuscanAZ, for my needs I'll always chose a gas engine as well.

However, the 4bt in front of a 4 speed manual would be the one exception. Putting Diesels in trucks it's the auto transmissions that are a terrible weak spot, but you've eliminated that problem.

I have a friend with a 4x4 Dodge Cummins and light camper and I would buy it from him in a heartbeat! The tranny was rebuilt at 100,000 but was built heavy duty for the Cummins so it should have many miles ahead of it. Built right they will last behind the diesels. The factory simply doesn't spend the money.

You both made smart decisions and got great rigs!
Bob

wagoneer said:
LOVE EM HADDA 1972 KURBMASTER WITH BARN DOORS THAT SWUNG ALL THE WAY TO THE SIDES OF THE TRUCK WITH A 350. NON DUELLY HERE IN SF THEY TAG THE HELL OUT OF THESE SO THE NEIGHBORS GOT TIRED OF LOOKING AT IT AND RALLY'D AGAINST ME
My last delivery as a truck driver was in Oakland and I was amazed how bad the graffiti is there, even worse than LA!

I second the comments of gas over diesel. As a truck driver the issues of the newer diesels are constant. I have an accumulated 3 weeks of down time on my last truck. I also had a brand 2006 new Ram 2500 4X4 and I had a lot of issues. I dumped it and went back to gas, for me, NEVER AGAIN.

Telcobilly said:
My last delivery as a truck driver was in Oakland and I was amazed how bad the graffiti is there, even worse than LA!

I second the comments of gas over diesel. As a truck driver the issues of the newer diesels are constant. I have an accumulated 3 weeks of down time on my last truck. I also had a brand 2006 new Ram 2500 4X4 and I had a lot of issues. I dumped it and went back to gas, for me, NEVER AGAIN.

You do realize that you are comparing apples to oranges in that you mentioned "newer diesels" and to that extent I agree.

The 1990 Cummins 4BT is a purely mechanical motor with NO electronics. This thing will run even after an EMP burst (which is a plus in my book).

It took a little looking, but I jumped on this vehicle when I found it. Just what I wanted.

Not arguing there. The older, pre-electronic diesels are rock solid and relatively simple. That's why I qualified my statement with the adjective "newer". Owner ops who don't run in Cali will buy glider kits with pre-2003 engines to have a powerful, fuel efficient and reliable drive train. No DEF, ECU's, electronic injection, DPF's and EGR systems. My 2006 Ram was supposed to be the last year of the "good" diesel trucks. If you are towing or hauling a lot of weight, it's hard to beat a diesel, otherwise, a well proven gas engine is my preference. It would be a different story if I was in Africa or Australia where there are a lot of cool diesel powered vehicles.