What am I looking at here, Ford Step Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monel

Reaction score
New member, first post, I've been opportunistically researching and looking for a van to build. Thought I had decided on an E350 with high fiberglass top but stumbled upon this step van.  Here is what I know:

Ford 2010, E-350 SD, 10,000 purported miles, 5.4l V8, asking price $12k.

I have been able to look at it only from the oustide so far and it is in very good condition, no rust, no dents, shiny paint, cab has two seats, solid aluminum top, not fiberglass, single rear wheels, 19.5 feet overall, bumper to bumper, but the rear bumper is a metal grate about 1'wide, so I figure it is really only 18' long, Dual barn doors in the back. From the photos the interior looks brand new.

VIN = 1FC1E3KL2ADB00934

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]So what can the accumulated widsom of this group tell me about this step van. I'm sure the box itself will lend itself well to conversion.
[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My biggest concerns are how will it handle on the highway? Noisy and slow? Top speed and comfort? Power to clear high passes?

Next would be ability to use it on Forest Service type roads, no offroading or rock crawling, just want a bit of clearance and traction. Can anyone tell what the transmission and transaxle are? I was planning on putting a limited slip differential and upgraded suspension on an E350 Van. Since this is an E350 chassis would I be able to do the same on this?

The step van is a new concept for me but this seems like a great candidate in great condition at a good price.

All information, thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Monel[/font]

Attachments

• stepvan 4.jpg
    stepvan 4.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 32
  • stepvan 3.jpg
    stepvan 3.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 35
  • stepvan 2.jpg
    stepvan 2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 25
  • stepvan 1.jpg
    stepvan 1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 27
First is the question of insurance and registration. Depending on the state you may not be able to get insurance or if you can it may be costly without owning a commercial business. Converting it to an RV may prove difficult as well. Make sure you know all the answers about insurance, registration and conversion before buying.

first off welcome, go over to the "Newcomers Corner" and give us an intro and we will give you an official welcome.

it's really hard to tell anything from those few pictures. do you have a link.

BTW that does not have a transaxle. a transaxle is used in front wheel drive throw away cars. that van has a transmission and an axle 2 totally separate parts .

highdesertranger

10,000 miles in ten years?

Huh?

For a commercial vehicle that is almost impossible to believe. 

It could be that the instrument cluster has been changed or altered, or maybe its 110,000 miles...who knows....but the visible wear and tear do not line up with 10,000 miles, which is nearly new.

I'm converting a step van right now that is the same size, just made by a different company. I plan to take it on forest roads all the time, should be no problem. I'm sure there will be some narrow roads where I brush against branches but who cares. This is a great platform for conversion, If you take the wall out between the cab and the back it really opens up great, turns an 11' van into a 16' with all the natural light. Sorry I can't help you with the engine / transmission part but with a single rear axle it is most likely a class 2, the lightest of the step vans so that should help, ask for the GVW it will mostlikely be between 5-10,000 lbs, the lighter the better.
As far as licensing and insurance goes call your states DMV with the VIN# and ask them how they will license it. In my state of Kentucky they will not let me register my van as an RV but personal use truck was fine. So the state considers it just like a pickup or any other truck, no regard for its weight and no need to go to weigh stations as long as it's not used for commercial purposes. My insurance company (State Farm) categorizes it as "Commercial" because of its size and weight and I pay a bit more for that but it's not bad, $940/year full coverage.
There is a Facebook page called "Step van RV's" that is very active and very helpful, post there and you will find out all you need to know about that van.

I don’t see massive wear on it, it is a good platform for conversion, I have an older one and have had it for 11 years. I don’t have any mods to transmission or differential and would have no problems going off road, plenty of clearance.
I wouldn’t remove the separation from back to front it makes it easier to keep warm a lot more secure, I use the front as well it is my bathroom and front porch. You can make them quieter by
Insulating and installing accoustic material to the floor, Dog house, roof etc..the down side to these vans you stand out in a row of parked cars. Good luck sounds like a great deal to me.

Looks awesome. I’m assuming it’s aluminum body? I agree with the other poster that it could be the odometer rolled over but idk... sometimes those vehicles did more sitting and idling which is why I wished they had the hour meter on them but I heard there’s a way to pull that up if it has OBD... Mines a 74 and all steel. I swapped motors (350 to a 292) and am gonna rebuild the one I just pulled out for future use. My point really is that money adds up with any vehicle so $12k may be a great price. I bought mine dirt cheap and just getting it mechanically sound has cost a lot. Stepvans are definitely my favorite vehicle for business and recreational/ small living space etc... Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks all for the comments. Confirming the odometer reading will be difficult, Carfax had little info. I'm going to go take it for a test drive and see what it feels like for myself! I wll definitely check registration and insurance details before writing a check, thanks, I would not have thought of that.

For what it is worth, the exterior and undercarriage really do look pretty much new. I'll take a careful look at floor matts, seat, brake and accelerator pedals to see if they look suspicously warn when I get inside of it.

Any last thoughts on the 5.4l V8? I'd rather have a diesel but think the V8 will still get me where I'm going for a long time to come. If I build this out I will pay a lot of attention to the keeping it light and simple.

Monel

Yay, step vans! Oh no, a Ford gasser. I've worked on the 5.4L, the good, it's got timing chains. The bad, they are dual overhead cam and they have a history of spark plugs not cooperating with the aluminum head threads. Doing a tune up and changing spark plugs? Patience and penetrating oil. Super easy on a step van too. Good luck!

Probably a good starting point for you would be to define your needs for a Nomad Rig.  If you were buying new, that would allow you to shop for something more exact,  but since this is used you will have to adapt to what it can realistically do.  

I've seen Step Vans like this in my area that are used for inner city and local (suburbs) deliveries and were garage kept at night.   Bakeries, Office Supply, Laundry/Dry Cleaners with branches about the town,  Medical Suppliers,
and such businesses would keep small Step Vans like this one (or a small fleet of them).  

If you were going to stay on the road or in developed campgrounds I think this would be good for that duty.  But for going far into the outback it may not be the best choice for that.  But being light weight aluminum and insulated with high density high R value foam insulation it could still be light once finished. 

A good house battery bank (perhaps two golf cart batteries) could power one of those "Diesel Heaters that both heats air and water might be fine for it.   With the rear bumper it has it may be able to be modified for a generator,
and space to carry an LP tank.  With an adequate generator you could power an Air Conditioner.

As far as top speed,  if you are a Nomad,  you shouldn't be in that big of a hurry to get anywhere.   But I'll offer you this if you can find the gear rations of your transmission, rear axle gear ratio,  rear tire diameter, then you can
calculate your engine rpm and mph of speed.  This should calculate for 55 and 65 mph to show you the engine rpm at these speeds.  Then look up the spec's for the engine to see at rpm maximum torque & horsepower occur.  Torque will be at a lower speed.   But I would suggest you do these calculations before before modifying anything.  

Engine RPM per given MPH