I got a van!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimkelb89

Reaction score
0213181119.jpg0218181547a.jpgWhoo Hoo! I got a Ford High Top. A mechanic that checked out another van for me actually found it for me literally hours later after he checked the first one. An associate of his got it at an auction. I got very lucky. A friend on here, WanderingScribe, has been instrumental in helping me get it ready.  It has a wheelchair lift. A used wheelchair lift/van company may remove it for me or I will have the mechanic do it and donate it. 

We ripped up the floor and took out the back seats. Half of the original plywood is still in there because of the lift but we'll be taking that out in a day or so after the lift is removed. I have a short timeline. I'm moving into it on Wednesday this week and going to work on it as I go. I figure we can insulate it and lay down the plywood with an area rug just to get it going and have something to walk and sleep on as I go. I'm using an air mattress to start for this reason.  

I'm very happy with it. Tons of room. Its headroom in the back is 6 feet. I'm only 5'2" so that works really well for me. This may be the firs time in my life that being short has worked in my favor. I did bang my head a few times getting in and out and going from the cab to the back. Thinking I'll put up caution tape for myself. I am bound to give myself a concussion otherwise.

I plan on staying at a campground to finish it. I only need to do the floor because it has wall carpet that is in good shape. Then, as time goes and I know what I need, I'll build on it. I am considering making my own furniture because I'm not finding anything that won't take up too much space. I thought about buying existing furniture and modifying it but on second thought, I'd want to make everything smaller so I'm just going to build it myself. Wish me luck!  ;)

Attachments

• 0213181119.jpg
    0213181119.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 0218181547a.jpg
    0218181547a.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 49
Congrats! You'll have a lot of fun building it out just the way you want it. Between here and youtube videos you'll be able to make whatever you need! Let the adventures begin.

What fun is ahead for you! Gee I read real excitement in your post. Good to hear and what a good deal, linking up with WanderingScribe. She's got some experience under her belt which will help you in your days ahead. 
Day by day, it all comes together. But good luck! :D

Wow,looks good and all that room is so nice to have.

What year is it?

Nice, a late model tall roof handicapped Ford van with running boards! Welcome to the club :)

It looks brand new on the outside.

kimkelb89 said:
Whoo Hoo! I got a Ford High Top. I figure we can insulate it and lay down the plywood with an area rug just to get it going and have something to walk and sleep on as I go. I'm using an air mattress to start for this reason.  
Then, as time goes and I know what I need, I'll build on it. 

Congratulations! 
Going at it slow as you figure it out is a good way to do it.  An air mattress on the floor & blankets over the windows is a fine start.  I had a lawn chair & a wooden folding TV tray in back too, talk about just enough! :) 

Enjoy!

Welcome and congrats on getting the van. You'll figure out what you need in short order. Some folks take cardboard boxes and stage the layout to see what works. Good luck - hope to see you out in the world someday

kimkelb89 said:
 I did bang my head a few times getting in and out and going from the cab to the back. Thinking I'll put up caution tape for myself. I am bound to give myself a concussion otherwise.

Congratulations on the van!

I used pool noodles and foam pipe wrap to cushion the blows to the head. Pipe wrap already comes slit up the middle for wrapping it around pipes but it's not as big and as comfy as a pool noodle. It I slit myself with a utility knife.

My finished pool noodles have marine vinyl overlay so they look great but for right now to protect your head, who cares what they look like...go pick your favorite color... :D

Caution tape only makes you think about it, you'll still ignore it and hit your head anyways. Although, that said, we all develop memory muscles eventually from ducking repeatedly. You'll find it becomes automatic. I see it all the time when friends try climbing in my van...they bang their heads cause their brains don't automatically tell them to duck.

My parents had a high top van to travel in when Dad first retired. Mom found a squeaky toy that was a duck. She had Dad screw it to the center of the van roof right where you duck to get in to the seating from the rear of the van.... :D  It worked but I like my pool noodles better!!

Latest posts