How's your stealth with an A/C hanging out the back of your van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14743971266901070518265.jpg

Attachments

• 14743971266901070518265.jpg
    14743971266901070518265.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
They make a clear window tint now for windshields. It actually lets less heat in than the darkest tint. I was going to install then seen a chip in the glass, so thought I would wait. Still undecided about replacing the windshield, or just letting it go.

Just looking at the very first picture of the unit low in the door would not make me suspicious, That's a very clean install.

The window mount on this thread is one of the cleaner installs I have seen in the window.

Some look terrible.

Roof units are quite a bit more expensive are they not? But IMHO would be the best option.

Mike R

I went with a roof mount A/C   It is the latest and greatest Coleman Mach 8 Cub 9200 BTU which is supposedly the lowest profile and lightest unit on the market right now.  Still not very stealthy but it works great.  I was careful to cut the hole between the cross braces which put it a little further forward than I originally intended, but I have no sagging problems in the roof.  I also have the Honda EU2000I generator and it will run the A/C in eco mode however it throttles up the genny to almost the same RPM as running out of eco mode.  I can also tell the generator really doesn't like the initial surge when the compressor cycles on when running in eco mode.  A hard start capacitor modification would probably take care of that problem but for now, if I'm running the A/C, I take my Honda out of eco mode.

That Coleman install looks great. No bobody would even take a second look at that....but you do have to have Honda purring somewhere nearby. Too bad it takes so much power to run it. Everything is a trade off....

Recently saw a Youtube vid that had an AC in the wall/door between the front cabin and the interior of the van.  They left the front windows cracked to allow air in the front cabin area but the back of the van was isolated by the wall which was otherwise insulated.

This was a standard window unit and they did have electrical hook up.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
Recently saw a Youtube vid that had an AC in the wall/door between the front cabin and the interior of the van.  They left the front windows cracked to allow air in the front cabin area but the back of the van was isolated by the wall which was otherwise insulated.

This was a standard window unit and they did have electrical hook up.

The front compartment could also double as a clothes dryer.