how to find space to safely store a van (so it doesn't get vandalized, stolen, etc when on-street parking near stix n brix)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While its true California gun laws are not as restrictive as other states, if I can avoid my issues with Law Enforcement the better.

California doesn't have a "Duty to Inform" whither you have a gun or not, its just better to not take any chances. I may have a wreck or car problems and its just better to avoid any problems.

If they see TX plates they can assume I have firearms on board.

If a cop pulls me over for a broken turn signal bulb and asks if I have any weapons or drugs in the car. Being the good law abiding citizen I am, I tell them about the gun. It's always fine. In certain jurisdictions, that gun can land me in prison. It's safer for me to avoid these areas, so yes, CA is out for sure.
You don't have to answer any questions. Tell them your lawyer friend advised you to do that in all cases... and be polite.
I don't need to take any chances, I have been pulled over before for no reason. Sometimes they don't need a reason to stop you.
Are you sure about the warrant?
Legally, they absolutely need a warrant unless you give them permission. Yes, I've been pulled over for no reason (several times) and had my vehicle searched for no reason (once). In my case I was ordered to sit on the curb and face away from my vehicle and held at gun point by the cop's partner, while he ransacked my rig. I figured they must have a good reason for what they were doing (like some serious crime nearby, and my vehicle fit the description) but nope. Never again... gonna raise a stink and they can shoot me...

Land of the free...

All Law Enforcement needs to probably cause to search your car.

So, when can police search your car without a warrant? Generally, under the following circumstances:

1. You have given the officer consent;
  2. The officer has probable cause to believe there is evidence of a crime in your vehicle;
  3. The officer reasonably believes a search is necessary for their own protection (a hidden weapon, for example); and
  4. You have been arrested and the search is related to that arrest (such as a search for illegal drugs).
So yes they can search your car without a warrant.

If you click on that "probable cause" link, you get this:

There are circumstances when a search warrant is not required, such as:

• When the police have consent from a person who has use or control of the premises
  • When conducting a search connected to a lawful arrest
  • In an emergency situation that threatens public safety (a building fire) or the potential loss of evidence
  • If a car has been impounded and an inventory is being taken as part of standard procedure
  • If contraband is "in plain sight" from a location where the officer has a right to be present (outside the car door, at the front door of a house or apartment)
So basically no... having TX plates sure as hell doesn't give them cause to search it!

Whatever...........

You forgot

The officer reasonably believes a search is necessary for their own protection and
In an emergency situation that threatens public safety

Cops can lie to you, its not against the Law, they can say they are looking for an armed robber and you match the description. They can call in the drug dogs and get a hit, and search you.

Go ahead believe what you want, the Cops can and will search if they feel they need to.

Go ahead believe what you want, the Cops can and will search if they feel they need to.
They can do whatever they want... they have a badge and a gun... but not legally.

Yes, they profile and troll for drugs mostly. Or maybe they are small town cops just extracting money from out of towners. That's why we need to record these illegal interactions and make it "inconvenient" for them.

It wouldn't be probable cause to stop you and they would also would need a warrant to search your vehicle.

I know first hand that some cops don't follow the law. But it still seems odd that they'd pull you over for that reason.
One time I was stopped and asked permission to be searched and said "no" and whaddya know refusal to be searched is probable cause to be searched.
Years later this was declared unconstitutional by the supreme court of that particular state, so apparently was a common enough occurrence that someone took it all the way through the courts.

Point is I've met some police that are extremely nice and fantastic human beings that let you off the hook even when they shouldn't, and others that see you as a criminal until proven otherwise.

It's a real challenge for people whose vehicle is also their home and contains all their stuff, including critical documents and even pets.

I broke my femur on BLM land. So, I was in the hospital and my van was in the desert. I called the little office for my storage unit, they know everyone in the little town. She called back in 10 minutes, she'd found a boat repair/storage facility. He charged my about 1/2 price since my van doesn't float!

Point is I've met some police that are extremely nice and fantastic human beings that let you off the hook even when they shouldn't, and others that see you as a criminal until proven otherwise.

It's a real challenge for people whose vehicle is also their home and contains all their stuff, including critical documents and even pets.
Or in the case of seizure of assets, any significant amount of cash... There are other posts on here that detail seizure of "suspicious" amounts of cash that had to be taken to the court to be returned (even though no charges were ever filed).

I don't need to take any chances, I have been pulled over before for no reason. Sometimes they don't need a reason to stop you.

Are you sure about the warrant?

My other cousin lives in Bishop CA not far from the Nevada line. I will go see her, I can get in and out without a lot of traffic.
Maybe you could convince the LA cousin to come to Bishop for a day or two so you all can visit without the worry.

I may be able to do, there is also some talk about a Vegas get together.

just wondering... i live in a sort of ok, gentrified area of the bay area, oakland, and with the price of gas, the price of vans, etc --- and general craziness, i am fed up with having my van vandalized over and over. it's a chevy express, pretty new, so i guess it is a magnet for thieves. just went out friday --- someone had tried to pick the lock, unsuccessfully. but now i'll have to have it repaired.
so - any suggestions on how to start to look for places to park/store it? i'd imagine it could be expensive... yes, my van is insured. this is a real downer.
thank you.
happy travels and stay safe

I have a pretty nice vehicle and I over worry about break-ins. So i have an alarm with unlimited remote notification range, I also have cameras with "Security cameras in use" stickers.

So far so good. I usually try to park where i am ether out of the way in a well lit area or where a good amount of activity is so people would notice someone breaking in.

The only time my vehicles get washed is when I drive salted roads or it rains. I’m mainly concerned with the underside getting caked with salt or mud that will cause rust, wear or cooling problems. I don’t like cars that I have to be concerned with getting dings or scratches. I try to concentrate on keeping my vehicles mechanical condition and making sure it functions well at all times. Only once has a vehicle of mine been a target of thief. It was a wide open jeep in south Tucson about 2AM in the morning. I have most of my vehicles to where only I can start them. After hearing the attempts and swearing because it wouldn’t start I fired my pistol in the air and yelled for them to “get!” I had to dry the seat off next morning and tape a few wires but lessons were learned and nothing was hurt. Pride and coveting can both cause you problems pretty quick.

When a cop walks up to you sitting in your car he can tell if you're on drugs by looking at your eyes twitch as your eyes look back to see where he's at. I worked with an undercover narc that lived & looked the part. Rhey may just want to find something of value for their civil forfiture fund.

just wondering... i live in a sort of ok, gentrified area of the bay area, oakland, and with the price of gas, the price of vans, etc --- and general craziness, i am fed up with having my van vandalized over and over. it's a chevy express, pretty new, so i guess it is a magnet for thieves. just went out friday --- someone had tried to pick the lock, unsuccessfully. but now i'll have to have it repaired.
so - any suggestions on how to start to look for places to park/store it? i'd imagine it could be expensive... yes, my van is insured. this is a real downer.
thank you.
happy travels and stay safe
...the question SHOULD Be why are they trying to break into your van? Reason is because it's desireable... so focus on making your Van LESS of a target. ie park in areas where the cars around you are "nicer" and are more desireable. Also making sure it's clear you don't have items of value inside such as keeping it bear bones is another good idea. A parking garage helped me and I made sure to park in the bottom floor (underground) so it was harder for people to get to so it was less tempting.

Same method I used to keep my bike from being stollen, you just make it harder to steal than the other bikes around you so thieves are less likely to take yours! If you need a storage locker to store all your van gear until your in a better location that may be what you need to do. Also if I had that situation that you had I would likely be getting VERY VERY angry. So I likely would just leave some melted chocolate in a diaper in the front seat and make the van look DISGUSTING while still not being dirty or creepy.

Oh also an old gallon jug of milk but clean it out and fill it with water and white paint so it looks "fresh" cause if I saw that I would either think oh they are DEFFENTLY coming back in 5min OR they seriously left a gallon of milk in their car for a week? :unsure: ...must not have anything of value in their if they be doing that I guess... they would have to be DESPERATE to break into that van or simply not notice!

Get creative! ...and mess with thieves' minds more! That's what I say! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
When a cop walks up to you sitting in your car he can tell if you're on drugs by looking at your eyes twitch as your eyes look back to see where he's at.
Might be why I only had trouble with cops who didn't look at me. Honestly I think *they* were on drugs...

Smaller airports would be a good spot either in a hanger & give the owner a few $$ or where the pilots park when on a trip. Cops like to sleep at airports. We had one at the local airport that my buddy asked if he'd like him to turn off the outside light & the cop said Thanks that would be great :)