How to find places to legally put your Recycling?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confetti

Reaction score
I like to recycle my plastic, paper and glass. In fact, I insist on recycling! So sometimes I end up carrying my recyclables around for a long time (which I don't have space for). 

Some cities have signs and cameras forbidding the public to put recyclables in available bins.
Or they want to charge you for dropping off stuff. 
I even looked for a Recycling App, but no luck!

As nomads, we're always in a different city and don't know where anything is. Anybody know how to find places to legally drop your recyclables?

Lisa

Call town hall or the county, ask for the waste center hours.

Drop it off after hours if non-residents have to pay, in neat little bundles.

Just be aware many district chuck it all in together once it's out of site, political theater to make people feel good.

Like TSA "protecting" us. . .

Recycling centers list themselves and can generally be googled, and are sometimes attached to dumps if your search isn't working out. It's a bit of a deal to get to them sometimes, but the one by us charges for dumping but takes recycling for free, including glass, cardboard, cans, paper, etc.

It's kind of hit'n'miss. When I was down in AZ somewheres (can't remember which city), I asked in some grocery store and they said "This isn't Oregon". When I was up in Oregon, the recycling center in Redmond only wanted bottles returnable for a refund plus clean plastic water containers, and nothing that had had milk in it. When I stopped in Bend, they didn't want anything that I had. But then, people always seem to shutter a bit when I walk in the door too, so ..... oh well, I'm used to it.

I should think that, unless you stay planted in some place for a longish time, and find a specific recycling center nearby, then it's more trouble than it's worth.

Highdesertranger I'm in Colorado right now. Heading for New Mexico next week.
Colorado has been particularly difficult to find Recycling options.

I've discovered that if you're in a big enough city, Whole Foods Market has a Recycling bin.
Sometimes public parks have a Recycling can next to the trash can.
You can ask at businesses that you patronize.

I also offered to pay a bike shop $5 to take the huge cardboard box that my bike came in from Amazon.
At first they said no, then "okay", then didn't want to take my money. I ended up buying a lot of stuff from them!

Yes, it's more trouble than it's worth. But it's the right thing to do.

Confetti...…………..

This summer I stayed in Colorado...……. I took my trash to a "Transfer Station"...……...Google for your county/city

Everyone that I visited made a special point of accepting all standard recycling for free...…( the airport at Buena Vista had a separate stand-alone recycling center) …………...you don't have to "dump" to use these services

............….Then if you're dumping TRASH...…….. they determine HowMuchTrashYouGot

My "standard" minimum......6 "Kitchen Bags" of camping trash (burn ban leaves lots-O-paper trash)…..$10.00...…..YMMV

doug