recycling electronics

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
So I gather it is a Bad Thing to just throw a laptop -- even a seriously dead one -- into the trash. I am not sure whether it's because there's highly toxic stuff in there? flammable stuff? precious metals?

The laptop in question is not usable (doesn't even have a hard drive); all I need is a safe way to dispose of it.

Things I have already tried: Best Buy supposedly recycles electronics but the one near me doesn't. Apple won't take it without paperwork and I don't know if they'd take one that's this dead anyway. Those ecoATM kiosks definitely won't. None of the local recycling places handle electronics.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can safely dispose of this? or know how bad it would be to just put it in the trash?

Thank you.

Did you try calling your city hall or township office? Someone there should know. If not, try calling city hall at the closest big metro area to you. No idea where you live, but assuming it is not a large metro area.

Good luck.

Yay! Staples (mentioned in that website) has a branch not far from a doctor I need to visit soon, and they said they'll take it.

If that hadn't worked, I was going to act like a grownup and actually call city hall (they don't have e-contacts).

And wow, I was impressed by just how important it is to recycle these things properly. Both toxic and valuable stuff in there, apparently.

Thanks, both!