How to, convert a Semi Truck, to a LEGAL RV Hauler.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Cob

Reaction score
Howdy All,

I fully realize that my type of RV is about as far removed from what would be or is considered NORMAL on this web site as is possible but, in the grand scheme of things it can be done CHEAPLY so if its of any interest to you please read on.

My first post was in a thread concerning living in a Semi Trailer but it gave information that addressed some of the questions raised by others who participated in that thread concerning the often times misunderstood requirements of using a Semi Tractor as a RV tow vehicle, this thread will address how I and many others have done this.

Step number ONE.  EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT when it comes to what is required, how its done, the type of drivers license needed, etc.  If this is something your interested in doing you will have to do some research into YOUR State laws as very few people who work at the local DMV have the knowledge or the interest in the subject to help you out. The most common answer you will hear when you ask "What does it take and how do I convert a Semi Tractor to a Recreational Vehicle is THIS STATE?" is, "It can't be done."  In all but a very few cases this is NOT true.

Another thing to keep in mind and this is becoming more and more of a problem for the TRUE RV'er, MANY people who participate in Rodeos, amateur motor sports racing, etc are towing their horse trailers or car trailers with a Semi Tractor which they have labeled as an "RV" or "Not For Hire".  In the eyes of the LAW, if you participate in ANY activity that does or can reward you in ANY way be it money, trophies, expenses, if you are COMPENSATED in ANY way or COULD be compensated for having participated in the activity in the eyes of the LAW you are engaged in a COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE and your truck IS a commercial vehicle regardless of what you have displayed on it such as RV or Not For Hire.  More and more people who use their trucks in this manner are being STOPPED and TOWED, often times FINED BIG MONEY for not having a CDL or not having their truck properly plated or meeting the requirements of a commercial vehicle.

More to follow.

Dave

Thanks for getting in here and posting good information. I'm not sure if this has come up, but this site has a 15 minute edit window, so if you ever need to go back later and add to or edit a post, it needs to be within 15 minutes of the original posting.

Say 'Hi' to Newt and carry on!

:cool:

Howdy All,

OK, "assuming" you have done your research and determined that you CAN convert a Semi Tractor to a Recreational Vehicle in YOUR State, what kind of truck do you look for?  The answer to that question has to be given some very serious thought as you must consider your present NEEDS as well your future WANTS.  A very good example of this is the truck in my signature, when I bought that truck it fulfilled all my NEEDS and then some, however as I was new to the game I was unaware of WANTS that I would have in the future.

The truck I am now using the Freightliner in the photo does an EXCELLENT job of towing my 45 foot long toy hauler and until I bought a Smart Car, was all the truck I NEEDED.  My toy hauler has an 18 foot long garage, that was plenty of room to carry two motorcycles with sidecars, or motorcycle with a sidecar and two full size road bikes or as is now more often then not room to carry the Smart Car and a motorcycle with sidecar or the Smart Car with a couple of full size road bikes.  And therein lies the problem, because I now carry the Smart Car it takes up half of the garage not leaving enough room for the TOYS I want to carry.

So my WANTS have now exceeded the ability of my present truck to fulfill my NEEDS.  So a year ago the search began for a truck that I could build to handle my present NEEDS, that is a truck that could not only efficiency tow my trailer but could also carry a Smart Car, on a deck built behind the sleeper of the truck.  Being able to carry the Smart Car, on the truck meant that I would again have the full 18 feet of garage space to fill with TOYS.  So being the red blooded American male that I am I set out to find a Peterbilt 379, tandem axle truck with enough horse power to do the job of not only meeting my NEEDS but my WANTS.  And so, this truck is now being built to be my future RV Hauler.

88CACB33933F40FCA5F06E8F0BDDFCC8-M.jpg

More to come.

Dave

tx2sturgis said:
Thanks for getting in here and posting good information. I'm not sure if this has come up, but this site has a 15 minute edit window, so if you ever need to go back later and add to or edit a post, it needs to be within 15 minutes of the original posting.

Say 'Hi' to Newt and carry on!

:cool:

Howdy Brian,

Thanks for that information, I try to proof read and edit my posts before I hit send but like everyone else sometimes I miss something and would like to edit the post.  That 15 minuet window may pose a problem for me as I sometimes don't see a screw up until after the post has been up for a while and someone else says something like , "what the heck are you talking about when you wrote......................"

When I registered it said that I had to have 10 posts before I could post links, I have been posting photos from my web page and posted a link to my photos in my signature so I don't know for sure whats going on maybe my links and photos will be deleted by a mod if I am breaking the rules.

Newt, is sitting here beside me as I post this, well actually he's sleeping but that's what vicious attack Wiener Dogs do most of the time unless they are eating.

Dave

Howdy All,

As I have done the converting of a semi tractor to an RV Hauler before in Washington State, I knew what needed to be done so when I flew to Minnesota last December 12th to look at and then buy the Peterbilt 379, I had in my hand ALL the nessisary forms and other paperwork needed to over night mail back to my local licensing shop so that they could then over night mail to me the license plates, tabs and registration so I could drive the truck which would then be a legal motor home back to Washington, WITHOUT a CDL.

After I bought the truck on December 13th, I left it at the truck lot until I had gone to Walmart and bought a micro wave oven and a port-a-potty.  I then over night'ed the paperwork back to Washington along with the receipts for the micro wave and port-a-potty, included the "Statement of fact" that I had installed the micro wave and port-a-potty in the truck thereby fulfilling the State requirements to convert the truck into an RV.  this all took place on December 13th.  On December 15th I received by over night mail the registration declaring that the 2001 Peterbilt 379, was now a legally titled and registered "motor home" in the State of Washington, along with the license plates and tabs.  Before I flew to Minnesota to look at the truck I had already contacted my insurance company with the VIN of the Pete, told that that I was almost certain that I would buy it and had insurance IN PLACE if I bought the truck, once I bought the truck I called the insurance company and the truck was covered immediately as a RECREATIONAL VEHICLE.

Where I live about 50 miles northeast of seattle Washington, it rains 89 inches a year, from mid October until late May all it does is rain sometime hard most times softly but its always WET.  I don't have a shop big enough to get the truck in out of the weather to install the RV hitch or build the Smart Car, deck so on December 17th before I drove the truck home I first drove to southeastern Wisconsin, where I had the RV hitch installed after the truck frame had been extended by 20 inches.  I had this work done by a well known shop that is only a couple of miles away from the folks who build the special air cushioned hitch that is NEEDED when towing an RV trailer with a class 7-8 truck.  I had this work done so that when I got home the motor home was capable of towing my RV trailer as the Freightliner is presently for sale and if it sold before my next big trip in April I had to have the Pete, ready to use but it was to miserable weather wise for me to do the work. 

I am now working on installing a trailer brake controller that uses air from the trucks air brake system to active the electric brakes on the toy hauler, I am also installing and wiring in an 1800 watt inverter-battery charger that will power the micro wave and other stuff while on the road, I am installing a shore power plug so that when I am home or in a camp ground I can plug the motor home into shore power and use it rather then the inverter, while plugged into shore power the charger part of the inverter will keep the house/starter batteries fully charged.  I am also installing a device called a "Jackalopee" that uses the motor homes trailer wiring to go into the Jackalopee and come out the other side to power the toy haulers brake, turn signal, running lights and flashers this is MUCH easier then rewiring the stock truck wiring to work with the RV trailer wiring.  All of this can be done while the weather is bad, when the weather allows me to work and weld outside I'll start to build the Smart Car deck on the rear of the truck.

As I seem to be able to post links, go to this link it will take you to the photo gallery which I'll use to document the building of the Pete, into my RV Hauler.  This is a work in progress, it will be several months before I can do much more then has already been done but viewing this gallery will give you a good idea of what it takes to build a simple RV Hauler, some folks build Haulers that are much more ornate and complicated.  If while viewing the gallery if you have any questions, post them up and I'll do my best give you solid answers.  When looking at the photos you will notice that the commercial 5th wheel hitch has had all but one bolt on each side removed, it is held in place by only those two bolts.  I left the commercial hitch on the truck so that it would have a little bit of weight over the drive axles, I knew I had four States worth of ice, snow and mountain passes to cross before getting home and with no load on the truck it would be difficult to keep it on the road even when doing everything you can to drive safely.  The commercial hitch will be removed before I start to build the Smart Car deck this coming spring.

https://mr-cob.smugmug.com/My-2001-Peterbilt-379-RV-Hauler/

More to come.

Dave

Very nice, going to follow this with interest. Smart preparation also, proactive vs reactive, and on the road that day, nice.

I converted a 379 Pete into a Motorhome; and is titled as a non-commercial vehicle in the state of Michigan. I’ve been enjoying it now for about eight years. My website below has all the details. If you have any questions abt how I did mine, don’t hesitate to ask.

Good luck with your project . . .

Holy cow Speed!!! Nice job, I only just cruised through the pics & now will go back for more at your site. I didn't notice this in your signature before.

Mr Cob, I just viewed some of your site and I'll say it again... Holy cow!!! I can see what I'll be doing for the next couple hours as I view your pictures and get up to speed on your build.

rm.w/aview said:
Very nice, going to follow this with interest. Smart preparation also, proactive vs reactive, and on the road that day, nice.

Howdy Rick,

I am going NUTS, so much work to do and with no shop to work in waiting for the weather to change has me crawling the walls as they say.  The drive home, especially leaving from Billings Montana was something I don't ever want to do again in this life time.  Worst part was when crossing a freeway bridge covered in ICE at the speed of about 15 mph the truck started to slowly slide sideways, I don't know if it was pure dumb luck or divine intervention but I drove it out with my butt puckered so tight the seat covering was starting to creep into my nether regions.  But hey if it was easy what fun would that be.  Stay tuned as this project progresses.

Dave

speedhighway46 said:
I converted a 379 Pete into a Motorhome; and is titled as a non-commercial vehicle in the state of Michigan. I’ve been enjoying it now for about eight years. My website below has all the details. If you have any questions abt how I did mine, don’t hesitate to ask.

Good luck with your project . . .

Howdy speed,

Thanks for your post detailing your build, that is a SWEET setup.  There is just something about rolling coal in a big rig pulling a mountain grade listening to that turbo sing as the boost builds and then the clatter of Jake as you drop down the other side that just makes my day.  I am sure you know what I am talking about.

Dave

rm.w/aview said:
Mr Cob, I just viewed some of your site and I'll say it again... Holy cow!!! I can see what I'll be doing for the next couple hours as I view your pictures and get up to speed on your build.

Howdy Rick,

Depending on what your interests are, you could spend days looking at photos on my site, I think I have close to 20,000 up there now.  Hope you don't get to bored.

Dave

Howdy All,

I seem to be able to post links so go to this one for just about ANYTHING you can think of when it comes to HDT's and custom trailers.

http://www.hhrvresource.com/

For general conversation regarding HDT's this link will take you there.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/32-hdt/

For an incredible sires of how to videos, go to "youtube" and type in, "RV Haulers" that will bring up videos covering just about anything you can think of when it comes to converting a HDT to a RV Hauler.

Armed with those links you should be able to learn just about anything you would ever want or need to know about how and why some folks choose to use HDT's as their tow vehicle when dragging a large RV trailer.

Dave

Howdy All,

Time to up date this thread, all of the electrical work needed to fully convert the Pete, to a motor home has now been done, the appliances have been installed I am now waiting for the deck to be build behind the sleeper which will be used to carry the Smart Car. This work should be finished within the next 7-10 days, I'll post photos to the gallery dedicated to this truck build and will post some photos of the finished rig as soon as the work is done.

Dave

Howdy All,

Today's up date on the Pete, build.  Making major progress on the Smart Car Deck, today we did a trail load after a couple of deck plates were tacked in place, this was done to confirm wheel chock location.

Driving up the ramps is a bit scary.
fullsizeoutput_305e-L.jpg

Getting the car centered on the deck.
IMG_2881-L.jpg

All centered up, wheel chock locations are marked, ready to back the car off the deck.
IMG_2882-L.jpg

Now on to finishing the deck plating, finishing the ramp storage box and get the lights wired, then its off to the powder coater before the final installation.  I have reservations made to attend the West Coast Heavy Duty Truck RV Rally starting June 14th in Caldwell Idaho, really pushing to have this all done in time to drive the truck-trailer to this rally.

Dave

Hiya Cob, sweet rig! Wonder if your Ural would fit where the smart car goes, that'd be fun.

He puts the Ural and a couple of other bikes in the toy-hauler. The garage in the toy-hauler is 18 feet, end to end!

It's a really nice rig.

Cob always has the coolest toys!

Latest posts