How soon will electric or hybrid vans/RVs be common?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope soon we will have affordable EV RVs and vans ...
I don't think it will be for a long time. E-Vans will be going for commercial uses for while. If they provide the low cost maintenance that is touted, they will be kept longer. The vans that do get converted to campers will still be out of my price range for many years.

not in our lifetime :) buy what ya want, what you can afford and live life....this stuff is eons ahead of us ol' farts and even the younger age farts HA

In 2019 a Prius van with stow seats was introduced in Japan, even the passenger seat stowed so I called the local Toyota dealer and asked when here….they never heard of it but I keep hoping

Agree, in general. I've always floated the following ideas as how I think this can shake out:

• Starting now -> future: Continue to build out solar, wind, and hydro power where it's viable.
  • Near term: Replace coal plants with natural gas, which have half the carbon output. Start building modern* nuclear fission plants.
  • Medium term: At a certain point, retire the natural gas plants as enough nuclear comes on-line. Sooner the better here, as the goal is carbon reduction.
  • Long term: Nuclear fusion plants (probably at least 20-30 years away from any practical, commercial viability).
Renewables like solar, wind, and hydro power are great. But the first two need a backup for when generation isn't optimal (dark/cloudy/windless days). Thus the natural gas -> fission -> fusion suggestions. Hydro is also great, but only works in specific locations.

* Yes, there is such a thing. Modern fission plants can be built safely. Problems like Chernobyl or Fukushima occur because of ancient, shoddy design (Chernobyl) or really stupid geographic placement (Fukushima). The waste problem can be solved if we get politics and NIMBY stuff out of the equation. There are also fast breeder reactors that can recycle fuel. Getting carbon out of the atmosphere is a much more pressing issue.
Over population is a myth propagated by those who don’t want us or our kids around because we make it too dirty for them while they globe trot around on private jets and yachts.

I don't think it will be for a long time. E-Vans will be going for commercial uses for while. If they provide the low cost maintenance that is touted, they will be kept longer. The vans that do get converted to campers will still be out of my price range for many years.
I think it will be 10-15 years before the prices start getting decent. Maybe sooner on the lower range (range as in available travel distance) vans, as longer range vans come out. If tech improves that could also lower prices on the vans with inferior tech.

I kind of like the look of the Rivian SUV but after Ford and Rivian parted ways, worried that Rivian would fade away into the sunset of EV companies.
Hopefully the new MB partnership will keep Rivian alive for the foreseeable future...

In 2019 a Prius van with stow seats was introduced in Japan, even the passenger seat stowed so I called the local Toyota dealer and asked when here….they never heard of it but I keep hoping
That is essentially the Sienna Hybrid van. Rumor is that there will be plug-in hybrid Sienna next year.

I was watching a report on the TV the other day that showcased a company called Canoo. They are developing a platform that can be easily configured as a car, SUV, pickup truck, or van. It was stated the electric platform used so many fewer parts than conventional gasoline vehicles, and with the development of newer battery systems the maintenance would be less while the platform would actually last longer than a conventional gasoline vehicle. Simplicity and ease of maintenance with the chassis, electric motor, and battery system being key to the design. The battery would be divided into multiple replaceable units as a modular system opposed to just one large single battery unit.

Canoo is set to acquire a huge manufacturing facility in Oklahoma City.

The design and engineering in this technology will move rapidly as "AI" may be utilized but I don't think it will replace gasoline or diesel vehicles any time soon.

Canoo

It looks like Canoo has considered the Nomad's in their proposed offerings. But with their unique "look" I doubt they would ever make it into the "Stealth Zone".

Canoo Nomad Van.jpg

This video explains their "skateboard platform" that they will place the various bodies on. If you are near a WIFI you could watch it as it is a bit long.

One of the things Canoo is attempting to do is to cycle their vehicles thru multiple users. I remember back in March 1974 where Porsche's concept of a 20 year car was featured on the cover of Science & Mechanics magazine . (similarly) The body was molded of ABS plastic (many telephones of that time were made of ABS plastic) The frame was to be built of stainless steel tubing filled with urethane foam. Engine and transmission were to be in one ez & quickly replaceable unit. Interiors were designed to be easily swapped out and offered in a number of finishes from basic to luxury. The body material could be easily repaired if damaged, and the only thing most people had against it was that the car looked very similar to an AMC Pacer. Porsche was touting visibility for the driver back then. (much like Canoo is now)

Skateboard platform with modular batteries

I'm in the "sooner then you think" camp. There is a push to get rid of gasoline cars. As the chassis for campers become electrified, there won't be a choice in the matter. I've seen prototypes from some manufactures (though I think they are taking the wrong direction), so it's gone happen.

Over population is a myth propagated by those who don’t want us or our kids around because we make it too dirty for them while they globe trot around on private jets and yachts.

Uh...no, it isn't. The shear amount of damage we do is insane. The US is a relatively uncrowded place, and some population scientists and mathematicians speculate out optimal population would be anything from 2/3s all the way down to about 1/4 of what we currently have. China and India are on the other end of the spectrum, and it shows. The world is designed to handle about half of its current population load.

I guess I have always wanted common parts on vehicles to be interchangeable in order to make them cheaper to maintain and operate. Unless there is a substantial improvement in the efficiency of how they work why change them. Imagine if all door handles were standardized any year any car would fit, all wheels and tires within a certain weight class could be used on any vehicle in that class, why are windshield wiper motors not interchangeable? The list goes on, brake rotors, rear view mirrors, head and tail lights. Imagine how much easier recycling could be!

I'm in the "sooner then you think" camp. There is a push to get rid of gasoline cars .....
It is fascinating to watch how environmentalists justify the environmental and economic damage lithium mining does.
I guess I have always wanted common parts on vehicles to be interchangeable in order to make them cheaper to maintain and operate .....
Remember when you could walk into a general store in any podunk town and buy a headlight? Didn't have to worry if it fit your car; one size fits all. Somebody decided style (and aerodynamics) trumps interchangeability.

But why stop there: why do we need so many makes and models? 1 economy car, 1 SUV, 1 van, 1 LDT, 1 MDT.

I agree with you that both for economies of scale and interchange/recycling it would be advantageous. It doesn't look like it is going to get better with EVs. More unique parts, some electronically connected parts are only interchangeable between individual cars by the dealer and at great expense.

I'm in the "sooner then you think" camp. There is a push to get rid of gasoline cars. As the chassis for campers become electrified, there won't be a choice in the matter. I've seen prototypes from some manufactures (though I think they are taking the wrong direction), so it's gone happen.

Uh...no, it isn't. The shear amount of damage we do is insane. The US is a relatively uncrowded place, and some population scientists and mathematicians speculate out optimal population would be anything from 2/3s all the way down to about 1/4 of what we currently have. China and India are on the other end of the spectrum, and it shows. The world is designed to handle about half of its current population load.
Some countries like Russia and Canada are clearly underpopulated, some like India and China are overpopulated, although even within China there are some underpopulated regions. Each country should decide what is the best for them.

But why stop there: why do we need so many makes and models? 1 economy car, 1 SUV, 1 van, 1 LDT, 1 MDT.
Saw how that worked in Soviet Union. They will all become of low quality in the absence of competition.