how seedy is too seedy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
I'm looking at a place for rent that has studios (looks like an old converted motel) as well as an RV park. So far I've only seen it from the outside. First impressions = it looks a bit shabby but not horrible. Once I view it I'll have to move fast (this is a killer housing market).

What do you look for when you're trying to size up a situation like that? I can think of: cleanliness, maintenance, how they answer questions ... what else would you look for?

I would look at the other vehicles parked around where you're looking to live, are businesses in the area protected by bars on the windows or bullet proof glass partition, what types of businesses are near you such as schools, pawn shops, bars etc.
What do people's yards look like- well kept or weeds and trash.
Good luck with finding the right place.

Walk up to a local cop and ask them, in a friendly way,  what they think of the place....if they get a lot of 911 calls, or if there is any drug-related or domestic trouble there.

If he or she says oh yeah, 'every weekend we get a call', or something like that, steer clear!

There are several web sites that show maps of crime statistics and police call records, just do a search for the area your looking in.

Needs to have water pressure and hot water in bath and kitchen. Working fridge and microwave , funtioning heat or AC depending on tje season. No burn marks around the electrical outlets. Good locks on doors and windows. Try to get an end unit as the walls are likely cardboard thin. Be sure it is not used for quicky by the hour prostitution rentals. That noise and traffic would be horrid to live next to. Very likely to be drug trafficking around there unless it is close to a cop hangout or station. Much depends if this is in a small town or in a city.

...we bought a seedy motel that was getting 911 calls daily,  the new owner tore it down...now we have a beautiful blank slate to build something worthwhile for the future...

Morgana -  Stand down wind of the location and sniff.  If you get a strong chemical odor there maybe a meth lab there.  Anything you might have seen in Breaking Bad is nothing compared to the horror that Meth causes in real life.  Look for people who might be extras for the Walking Dead series: nervous energy, dirty hair, shabby clothes, open sores, bad skin, extremely gaunt and missing teeth.  There is a good chance they are meth users.

We bought...the new owner tore it down...now we have...

The "new owner" is a third party, that is allowing you to do what you want with their property, or are you referring to yourselves in the third party?

Yikes!
Good ideas and food for thought (or loss of appetite  :s )

There's not really a neighborhood to wander around in -- it's set back off a freeway frontage road, between two open fields, about 1/2 mile from a major urban intersection, sort of on the edge of town ... pretty isolated actually. Maybe this is not a good idea.

I'm trying not to turn up my nose at anything viable -- I've stumbled into a devilish tough housing market that I really did not see coming (and I thought I'd done such great research LOL) -- but I'll be careful on this one.

Thanks everyone!

Nope, it's not my first time renting.
It is the first time in quite a few years, though, that I've had to consider these tradeoffs.
Like I said, it's a killer (local) housing market. Also, we are in a (nationwide) housing crisis, so I doubt I'm the only one -- especially in this community, given why it was founded -- to have to think about things like this.

It would be nice to have the luxury to reject anything that didn't feel 100%, but those of us who can't afford that have to use our brains, too, to figure out which bad feelings are real red flags and which are actually just hassles we can deal with.

Personally I've decided not to check out this property because -- thanks to y'all's comments! -- I realized how isolated it is and, even though it didn't show up deep red on the crime maps, that seemed like a bad idea. Or at least, an idea that's more bad than I am broke (yet ;) .

I miss boarding houses. Man, those have been gone for a long time. I must be old or something!

Thanks again,
M

Morgana,

I think you’ve made a wise choice to pass on this housing option.

I don’t want to sound biased but I am realistic based on life experience.

Where I live, these older motels temporarily house people struggling economically for many reasons.

Units can be rented by the week or the month, and there tends to be high turnover.

They serve a purpose, but will not necessarily surround you with people with whom you can find common cause, and may also place you at risk in various ways.

I’m guessing you have looked into “rooms for rent”, where sometimes homeowners rent a bedroom/bath with kitchen privileges?

These may be an option for you, and your local senior center may also have some housing suggestions.

Good luck.

I lived in 'bad' neighborhoods all during my 20's and 30s.
Easy way to gauge a neighborhood is to go into the local convenience stores and see what they sell.
If they sell 'coin collecting bags' which are the right size for powder drugs that is a bad sign.
Wouldn't worry about pot paraphernalia. That is everywhere these days.
But certain butane torches and cheap plastic flowers in a glass tube seem to be popular among fans of cocaine.
I also look for 'gutter glitter'. Broken car window remnants.
In general, even in a low income neighborhood, you can judge the safety by how clean it is.
People who care about their neighborhood don't let trash hang out in front of their house.
When people have stopped giving a damn about junk getting dumped outside and the rats it brings, time to move on.
Personally I love the idea of car camping with a studio space.
Right now I'm trying to keep making music while living in the van and it's been challenging. Getting better at acoustic guitar though?

Make sure there is enough parking for all your nomadic friends! Haha!
Good luck finding a place... hopefully you won’t have to settle or get took. One thing my daughter ran into was she moved where public transportation didn’t run very much. (She’s depending on it). So lots of one mile walks... which she likes, but it’s not always real great if you have to get somewhere fast.

Find the local police station that covers that area, pay them a visit, and take the address with you. They'll know.

Use your Spidey Sense.

I get a 'feel' for some place very fast. Just seeing a property or hotel or area I get that sense deep down.....we know, we know when to say no and move on past fast :)

i would also cruise thru the area at night to see what's going on. some places look pretty harmless in the daytime...

To update ... I did find a place that was not the nervous-making converted motel/RV park. It’s pretty expensive, but manageable and I feel lucky to have it.

To get it I had to (1) put down a nonrefundable deposit without finalizing the lease, then wait 3 days, and (2) move in without stove or fridge. Nuts, right? But after a month of looking, it was the best of a scary lot. It’s in a cute older complex with lots of trees and children. The rental staff seemed at worst a little flaky; I didn’t get the bullying or scamming vibe.

This has been my worst relo ever. It was d--n hard to even get information about rentals. Craigslist is more full of scams than ever; real estate websites just seem to be regurgitating bad information; newspaper ads are skeletal; and rental agents act like a bunch of teenage girls trying to decide who to go to the prom with (“call me back tomorrow, OK?”) — if they pick up the phone at all. Some of these quirks may be local, but rental prices are skyrocketing everywhere. (I picked this area partly because of low cost of living, but in 2021 seems like all bets are off.)

I’m not saying this ^^ to depress anyone. Just to say to anyone making a move on a budget these days: Be careful. Don’t assume that the way things were pre-Covid is the way they are now. If you have any advantages, including a cousin-in-law in Dubuque with an extra broom closet, use them! And for heaven’s sake, don’t give your personal info to anyone on Craigslist. Forewarned is hopefully a little bit forearmed.

Most important, don’t give up. The line between “I’m doomed” and “oh hey, this’ll work” is sometimes very thin.

Thanks for listening — and thanks for the good advice and encouragement!