how seedy is too seedy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agree on the rental agents.
I had cash in hand, a solid job and references. The 2 local companies that have most of the property in Brooklyn and Queens sewn up were impossible to get consistent contacts with.
I got passed around like a hot potato among agents. One lady I stuck with a for a whole week insisted email was no good, I had to text her. Which made me think she just wanted stuff 'off the record'. Not through the company messaging app.
Ended up getting a place through word of mouth anyway. But now I'm trying to get my deposit back from that place!

Thanks for the update, Morgana, and good luck in your resettlement.

Budgeting tightly is still preferable to fearing for your safety and well being, IMHO.

Having lived hand-to-mouth for a couple of decades, I’m here to tell you there are worse things.

You may be eligible for various kinds of assistance, including utilities if you are where there are weather extremes, so don’t be afraid to ask as these are your (and our) tax and other dollars at work.

Once the dust settles from the move and you see what monthly expenses are going to be, you’ll have a good idea of how close to the line you may be.

All the best.