How Much to Eat in a Day?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Reaction score
"wild life of billionaire Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, who eats one meal a day"
* How did I get over weight?
* by eating 6 x / day : 3-4 Meals + Snacks
* Snacks count as a Meal
* the Belly Grew!
* i started eating more veggies & cut
out the soda
* Now I have to buy new clothes cause I
lost 3.5" on the waist
* yes i cut down the # of meals / day also

I get the joke and I also know that it is a current diet fad for some. But unfortunately a reality situation for others who have a food shortage in their lives.

Or you can try to strictly follow the guidelines for the $1.50 per meal for a 3 meals a day budget that the federal food assistance program gives to low income people. I don't get food assistance but have found that to be a helpful concept when I go to the grocery store to keep my food budget under control and avoid buying any junk food items or over priced convenience foods.

Of course some meals are lower cost such as perhaps breakfast and lunch which would then allow a little more money to be spent on the last meal. Or you could switch it to breakfast or lunch having the larger budget since you need more fuel at the busy times of day and are supposed to eat a light meal at night for the best health.

Anyway it is a useful shopping concept for keeping food cost under control which of course is an essential way of life for many cheaprvliving nomadics. Unfortunately in some areas good drinking water becomes part of the food budget if you can't find a reliable source of it for free.

My daughter in law is overweight and has some issues with gout and diabetes. She posted on her blog that she was doing the eat one meal a day a lunch diet plan. Currently living in Japan. But since that time she has posted a great many blogs featuring all kinds of sweets that she has found in the stores and at food vendors in Japan. I don't think she is having much luck sticking to the one meal a day concept for weight loss and better health.

[size=large]Well the Food pyramid was king for ~ 45+ yrs.[/size]
Which states @ least 3 meals / day.
Then with the snack food comps getting bigger.
“you got to have your snacks in between meals so you don’t get hypoglycemia.  
Low blood sugar and you can pass out!”
It takes an incredible amount of discipline to only eat 1 meal / day.
Disclaimer: Consult your physician before starting a new diet.
If I were in Japan I’d probably eat more sweets also.
I love dessert after dinner!

I eat 1 -2 meals a day. But, I am also on a ketogenic (****) diet to treat my Diabetes type 2. I would not advise switching to that diet without consulting with your doctor. I was on numerous injections and medications to treat my Diabetes and they were all ineffective. My Diabetes was completely out of control and I was doing what I was directed to do. My A1c was 13.4 and my daily glucose readings never dropped below 340s.

If you have Diabetes type 2 and you are following the American Diabetic Association (ADA) and you are having issues You should talk to your doctor about ****. The ADA Diet you will just get worse.

I had had enough!

I researched a lot and came across a strict ketogenic diet. I talked with my doctor and told him what I was planning to do. I needed to be off all the meds to try it. I've done it 10 years the way the doctor asked me to. It hasnt worked. Lets try this for 3 months and see what results we have.

NO meds. Doing **** for 3 months my A1c dropped to 6.5. My Daily glucose readings are still in the 120s but that's a far better result than previous. I lost about 35 lbs in the 1st 3 months a great bonus. I honestly did not start **** to lose weight. I started it strictly to manage my diabetes.

Since then I've dropped 2 sizes and 80 lbs. That was just over a year ago. The weight I've lost is noticeable. I've lost it from the places that are hard to lose it from. At one point I gained back 20 lbs but honestly I dont know where I gained it or put it on my body.

Other benefits of going ****, Mental Clarity, Extra Energy, Not hungry so the 1 to 2 meals a day thing is non issue. Grocery bill is really cheap. I'm lucky if I spend a $100 on groceries every month.

For me at least Carbs seem like a really bad addictive drug. If you eat them you want more and you will be hungry all the time. Big Pharma, Big Food and Big Government...Boy Have I Got a Conspiracy Theory For You!

In the USA if you eat processed food there is sugar in everything. Sugar has many names. It is in things it should not be in. My brother travels to europe for work and he says everytime he goes he loses like 10 lbs just from the sugars not being in everything.

I dont mean to be preachy on this or overly pushy. But if you are looking for a solution You should research **** for yourself. Just remember consult with your doctor because you cant do it if you are taking diabetic meds...you will have a low blood sugar and it could kill you.

Diabetes is a Serious Disease!
Socrates or 1 of the Greek Teachers didn’t allow his students in unless they were fasting. 
“ we are told to have 3 square meals a day. But in reality, back in ancient Rome
— Romans would only eat 1-2 meals a day. The first 'breakfast' (breaking a fast) was usually around noon.
Then they would have their dinner (cena) at around 3-4pm.”
“a lion doesn’t eat a granola bar before hunting a gazelle.
It is hunger that motivates us to move, hunt, and to expend energy.”

"Ghenghis Khan and his Mongol Army ate a mostly **** based diet, consisting of lots of milk and cheese.
The Mongols were specially adapted genetically to digest the lactase in milk and this made them easier to feed.
for those of you who don't know, TIL means "Today I learned"

The Mongols defeated the Jin Armies of China with this way of eating. The Chinese at the time relied heavily on carb sources and as such had huge logistical problems transporting carbs like rice and tubers to the battlefields.
The Mongols faired far easier due to being about to use their horses for milk and
easily transporting large amounts of cheese with little effort.
The **** style diet and nomadic lifestyle of the mongols also made them last longer in battles,
mainly due to the sedentary lifestyles of the chinese soldiers who lived in towns and ate mainly carbohydrates for sustenance.

The Mongols defeated the Jin Army with 100,000 soldiers, even though the Jin army had upwards of 1,000,000."

Well, in three months I lost 80 pounds, lost 8 inches on my waist, and went from XXL shirts to M through the magic of throat cancer. It's amazing how much you can shrink by eating almost nothing. I wouldn't recommend it, though.

Uh MrNoodly. I’d like to lose some fat but not that way. Sorry about that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My addiction is food. I have never experienced drug or alcohol addiction and cant imagine what strength it takes to beat it. Being addicted to food is hard because you just cant quit eating but you have to learn to eat right. I have been very overweight all my life. I came from a family that over ate to celebrate and to drown our sorrows. I am (for the XXXX time) trying to lose weight and manage my eating and exercising better. Thanks for the inspiration I am finding here.

pure_mahem said:
I eat 1 -2 meals a day. But, I am also on a ketogenic (****) diet to treat my Diabetes type 2. 
I am 2 meals per day and I am zero carb.  Carnivore all the way baby....cool to see your doing **** and doing so well.  That is wonderful.  I also got the benefits.  Energy thru the roof, mental clarity to the max, overall feeling of well being is amazing.   This is the way to roll.  Control carbs severely and tightly or ditch them all like I did.  great post to read!

So what do you eat or not eat on a **** diet? Got a list?

Sugar does make us hungry all the time.

I eat Bacon, Avocados, Eggs and all sorts of Veggies.
Fish , Liver etc

Riverman said:
So what do you eat or not eat on a **** diet?  Got a list?

Sugar does make us hungry all the time.
**** plan is easy.  It is usually 60/40/20.  60% meat, 40% fat intake and only 20% carbs so you would limit your carb intake to a total of only 20g per day to put you into ketosis.  You would go from a glucose burning body to a ketone burning body.

Also if you didn't want to 'do **** plan' you can just eat meat and veg.  Good quality fatty meat and pair up with a low carb type veg....like no taters but have green beans.  No rice, have a side of cauliflower instead.  Drop sugar junk and processed crap.   A good low carb plan option might suit you well.

google **** plan for more info or just google low carb plan and all will give you food to eat and foods to avoid.
it really is very very simple to eat healthier :)  We all know the crap we need to dump to do it LOL  We just gotta wanna do it :)

Mr. Noodly sorry about that. It sucks, I know. Before I got food stamps I knew there was no point in eating junk from the 99 because there is no nutritional value and you will gain weight. I just ate a peanut butter sandwich and a piece of fruit and lost 50 lbs. If you’re interested in food and longevity look up blue zones. Fascinating stuff.

MrNoodly said:
...It's amazing how much you can shrink by eating almost nothing. I wouldn't recommend it, though.
We are all glad you're still here, even though there is less of you now. 

I think this lifestyle makes people more resilient. Many have very serious conditions and are living as dwellers. My first taste of this life was after my first back injury, when I was unable to flip myself over. After dwelling in a crew cab pickup for a while, like magic I had developed the strength & coordination to flip over again. Same after my second back injury. Healing thru dwelling & time spent in nature.    -crofter (did not lose weight on ****, but feels healthier)

How much to eat in a day?

Not as much as I would like to eat :)

I usually pig out on the weekends.  
* M - F  is where I try to reach my goals
& eat healthy

I think the best is to eat a lot of vegetables and some protein. But all should be small portions. For sure no sugar!

Agreed Qaffo, portion control is important. Intentionally I do intermittent fasting and nutritional eating. Currently I have modified my diet to be high in vitamin C and antioxidants to support a healthy immune response.    -crofter

Something everyone needs to understand is that there is not a universal diet recommendation that works for everyone. There are so many variables around from person to person. For instance when she she reached her 60s my mother could not eat eggs or legumes of any kind. Some people can't eat tree nuts. Other folks can't have citrus or other acid fruit. People with acid reflux have quite a few foods they must avoid.  Some people have to avoid too much protein. Other people have restricted diets from gout issues. Of course there are issues with diabetes. Some people are gluten intolerant. Others can't eat tomatoes or strawberries.  The list is pretty much endless.

I myself can no longer eat a diet that is high in fiber. I have to keep the fruit and veggies servings to small proportions. Our bodies do change and sometimes do so very quickly.

As to eating liver, you are not supposed to eat it every day because it has such high concentrations of some vitamins such as vitamin A that it can cause a toxic overload in your body. It is nutrient dense and that means you only need a small sized serving of it compared to other meats so that is a benefit if you have a tight food budget and are trying to lose weight. But watch it, this is a food to be consumed in moderation. So read and understand how much is too much of a good thing. Of course many will never regard liver as never being a good tasting thing.

My son and his wife both developed very painful gout from years of going on the Atkin style diets with all that meat and high fat consumption. Gout can create permanent damage. So do a LOT of reading about the dangers of diets as well as the benefits. Don't just leap into trying them for a long term lifestyle without some real education on the subject.

Qaffo said:
I think the best is to eat a lot of vegetables and some protein. But all should be small portions. For sure no sugar!
reverse that a bit and go more protein heavy and some veg and you will find you are way more healthier.....but that is only said in an 'experiment on yourself' sort of way :)