How long do low-end window A/Cs last?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
Here is a great place to share real-world longevity figures for the base model low-end brand window A/Cs, like the HAIER 5000 BTU Window A/C. Especially since most of us subject our windows A/Cs to road vibrations and rattling. 

Currently I have a HAIER 5000 BTU window A/C permantly installed in the van with a HAIER 10000 BTU window A/C slated to be installed in the back window for Summer 2016. The reason for two is one of the A/Cs might go bust, because they're the mass produced low-end made-in-china brand. Curious about how many summers the low-end A/Cs cool for before going bust.

For those who had to replace their $130 window shaker, How many years of service have people got from their low-end window air conditoners?

wow a 130 buck window shaker, that's cheap. I do apartment maintenance as one of my jobs, we install GE AC's they are not window shakers but they are slide in units, = quick to change out. but they are 400+ and are made in China. the new style with the digital readouts are not as reliable as the older analog units. plus the digital are always are drawing power even when off. if you were to ask me I would say AC is a waste of money and it's not environmental friendly. I say if you need AC you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, move. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
wow a 130 buck window shaker,  that's cheap.  I do apartment maintenance as one of my jobs,  we install GE AC's they are not window shakers but they are slide in units,  =  quick to change out.  but they are 400+ and are made in China.  the new style with the digital readouts are not as reliable as the older analog units.  plus the digital are always are drawing power even when off.  if you were to ask me I would say AC is a waste of money and it's not environmental friendly.  I say if you need AC you are in the wrong place at the wrong time,  move.  my 2 cents.  highdesertranger

A 5000 BTU air conditioner might use $30 of electricity a month to cool such a small space.

Driving a vehicle 1000+ miles to change location is a lot more environmentally unfriendly.

Just sayin...

In the east you need to drive 1000 miles to get a change. In the west only need drive 300 miles. Having a quick change single window unit is easier. How hard is it to find another unit to swap out?

IGBT said:
A 5000 BTU air conditioner might use $30 of electricity a month to cool such a small space.

Driving a vehicle 1000+ miles to change location is a lot more environmentally unfriendly.

Just sayin...

Quartzsite to Flagstaff Az.=264 mi. $40 worth of fuel twice a year.

Goshawk said:
In the east you need to drive 1000 miles to get a change. In the west only need drive 300 miles.   Having a quick change single window unit is easier.  How hard is it to find another unit to swap out?
Yeah, Lets all live like desert hermits never going anywhere, livin' for the welfare check. The climatologists say cars are bad mkay?
Better yet, lets all move our vans into a parking garage, permantly immobilize our rigs, destroy the keys, living the rest of our lives in a 20 mile life radius; freezing in the dark and sweating in the heat, never setting foot in nature again because it's unsustainable for the Church of Climatology. And the sea level stays static, the polar bears thrive thanks to lord and savior Al Gore.

Seriously, the climatologists can depopulate themselves first.

Anyway.

That is great for those who can move, some people are tied to an area. Do not forget that...

buckwilk said:
Quartzsite to Flagstaff Az.=264 mi. $40 worth of fuel twice a year.
It would probably be double for me, thus the need for a cheaper fuel source.

Anyway. If somebody gave me a $5000 Gasoline gift card, I'd spend 6-12 hours moving my things out of my parents house and hit the road. First destination, my relatives in ALBERTA CANADA, second destination TBA. I'd be gone indefinitely from California. Fuel is the only thing holding me back!

Yeah it would probably be cheaper to run an window A/C even from an inefficient genset than to migrate to cooler weather.

I've dealt with a lot of window units over the years and some of them are just old. They seem to run forever. That said who knows what's being built anymore. Luckily they are so inexpensive that replacing them is easy if they do go out. They usually run $25-50 each at the end of the season on craigslist.

I would look at reviews on a unit you were interested in just to make sure problems are not model wide, over and over.

I do agree that the mechanical units have less to break down. I had to go digital for the lowest draw and the remote is just nice to have. Were I to pick again it would be for the quietest unit.

Let's stay on topic, which is the durability of cheap window AC units. It is NOT being a snowbird.

Bob

how long would a cheap A/C last?? that's hard to tell with all of the the new energy mandates the government has made up and it don't help with everything being made in china now a days. in todays world no matter what you buy it's a crapshoot!! you could run out and buy the biggest bad ass A/C unit the most expensive model and it could turn out to be the biggest pile of shit that you ever owned or it could be the best unit that you owned same with the el chepo model. the days of quality stuff are done manufactures wants everyone to spend there money!!

Thus you buy the cheap warranty plan with it. Just factor that into the price. Warranty plan for $30 more has saved me from cheap equipment many times.

Just wondering if there is any standard for the slide in A/C mount system?  I would not mind buying an el cheapo unit If I knew that, upon it's demise, I could just slide in it's replacement w/o going thru the hassle of doing a remount to my cargo trailer wall.  Not a big issue with a wood house, not sure how may remounts the aluminum skin of a cargo trailer would tolerate until it looked like a beer can that has been shot full of holes.

I beg to differ.I did refrigeration work for a lot of years and in my opinion the window ACs today are much more reliable,quieter and use 1/4 the power as the old units.Much of this is the result of more efficient compressor designs using things like scroll technology and variable speeds.And they are a hell of a lot lighter for the poor guy(me) who is installing and repairing them.

darude said:
... the days of quality stuff are done manufactures wants everyone to spend there money!!
This is the crime. This is why manufacturing needs to get back into the hands of the people, and not multinational corporations with million and billion dollar factories. This is where technologies like 3d printing come in.
Goshawk said:
Thus you buy the cheap warranty plan with it. Just factor that into the price. Warranty plan for $30 more has saved me from cheap equipment many times.
If one can afford it. It's not likely the people who buy the cheapest A/C in the store have a lot of money. For those poor like me, TARGET puts their A/Cs on clearance end-of-season at 50% off. The real scores for A/Cs are at outlet stores and on Craigslist in the late fall and winter season. When it starts getting cold outside in your area, that is a good time to start watching Craigslist for A/C steals. 
29chico said:
Just wondering if there is any standard for the slide in A/C mount system?
Would like to know too. Especially amoung the BTU ratings. Is there a standard width and height for 5000 BTU, 8000 BTU, 10,000 BTU window A/C units?
Bob Dickerson said:
...And they are a hell of a lot lighter for the poor guy(me) who is installing and repairing them.
That is because they have thinner housing and styrofoam seperation structures. Even the high-end models have this.

Is the whole idea behind upgrading appliances is the new appliance is more efficient? Do the new window A/Cs work longer than the one ones?

If you do a google search for - window ac life expectancy - you will see a lot of 10 to 12 years.

I have used window units for the past 25 years.  I've had one fail after 6 years but also have one that has lasted 17 years.  Now this is in a stick and brick.

How long one will last in a mobile environment would depend on how it was installed, how much time was spent driving on unimproved roads,  how accurate the AC voltage was.  Low or high voltage from small extension cords or poorly regulated generators will shorten the life.