How do I go about cutting the high-top to fit window AC?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
A long hot summer in the van because climate controls are broken, and so I acquired a HAIER 5000 BTU window AC at TARGET for half-off end-of-season clearance. After thinking of all the possible places this AC unit can fit, I have made the painful decision to place it on the "shelf" above the bed. After cutting away the ceiling insulation I put in, with the press-board. The AC unit wouldn't fit in the passenger corner, so I decided right in the middle would be the only place it could squeeze in.

How can I go about cutting a square hold in the fiberglass high-top above the rear doors? I plan to acquire a dremel tool for a fine cut since a giant reciprocating saw is not the right tool. Has anybody done this for an AC unit?

And yes, I know I could only run this on shore power or a generator.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Ru...process/2014-SEP-15 AC Unit permanent install"></iframe>

a jig saw with a fine tooth blade is all ya need.

no need for the dremel tool either if you've got a jig saw.

ask around...someone'll have one you can borrow.

draw out your cut lines in pencil first, drill a pilot hole for the sawblade to go through, and cut away!! (I'd work from the OUTSIDE)

REMEMBER.....cut your opening on the SMALL-ish side first!! You can always trim alittle more off if need be, but you can't put nuthing back once you've cut too much!!
(btw...if you've already got a Sawsall...you CAN get a fine toothed blade for that, and you'll be just fine. Just cut SLOWLY!!)

also...this is where alotta folks mount their air conditioner units, so you're fine there too!! :D

Take out one of the rear door windows and mount it there no cutting needed.

It would be much safer to put it in a rear window if it will fit. Don't make the same mistake I did and make sure its tilted out so condensation can drip out. Not inside lol. Otherwise you'll be doing it twice.

Remove your window, trace it on a half inch peice of plywood , paint and install the board then cut out a perfect hole for your unit and bolt it in with small 90 degree brackets. Don't be afraid to go heavy on the silicone either lol. Mine came out beautifully. Keep in MInd if the ac unit ever breaks you would end up with a hole in your top custom cut for that particular unit. It'd be a real headache to replace. In a window you could atlesdt put the glass back.

Yep, I second the rear-window idea. You will not need that AC half of every year, so no need hauling it around with you during those times. Any hole you cut or drill will eventually leak (murphy's law) so avoiding it is wise.

Even if you did cut a hole, what are you going to mount the AC on? You cant just mount it to the fiberglass, it will rip the screws out (or a larger hole) from the vibrations of driving down the road.

It is very easy to pop out that rear window, cut a piece of sheet metal (or wood to start) to replace the window and then mount the AC into that. When doing that, I recommend letting the AC rest on the bottom of the window area so all the weight falls onto the door itself. Then a U shaped piece of sheet metal or wood can surround the AC to fill in that gap.

I'm sure these guys know what they're talking about and the window probably is a better option if possible but I put ac units in the fiberglass tops of four dog grooming vans and it worked fine. We used plywood to stabilize the area (cut the hole in the ply out before attaching it) and angle irons ( bent down to let it drain) to help support the bottom. You can still take it out if need be, you just have to cover the hole but we just left ours in as winter in Florida doesn't last long. I also did it in a previous camper van because if I put it in the window it would have been blowing right on me as I slept.

Mr.LooRead said:
Take out one of the rear door windows and mount it there no cutting needed.

nwprimo said:
Remove your window, trace it on a half inch peice of plywood , paint and install the board then cut out a perfect hole for your unit and bolt it in with small 90 degree brackets. Don't be afraid to go heavy on the silicone either lol.
I plan on doing that tomorrow. I will use one of the blackout panels I already cut larger than the window size.
Van-Tramp said:
Even if you did cut a hole, what are you going to mount the AC on? You cant just mount it to the fiberglass, it will rip the screws out (or a larger hole) from the vibrations of driving down the road.
There is a shelf above the bed it would have rested on.

Very true everyone. After all I decided to go for the window, Here is the result of an afternoons work.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Ru.../2014-SEP-15 AC Unit installed in rear window"></iframe>

The panels placed on top are temporary until I fashion one of the blackout panel I formed to fit this purpose.

One thing...... can you stop the flying images? I am trying to study a certain image, then another one comes whizzing by my head, and I feel like ducking........ :-(
It's disturbing on a fundamental level. Otherwise, good pics.

I hope that's not finished! Lol. Update us when you get it buttoned up.

Sure, your truck might have big tires. But where do you keep your coffee maker? thats funny,,,,,, I'm on this other forum that deals with these kinda guys they buy a large van install 4 x 4 and spend a ton of money on bumpers roof pop-outs buy these really big tires
and go camping 30-40k is nothing to these guys Sportsmobileforum.com, you can learn a lot from these guys it's a different but very helpful site.

Sorry off topic,, DO NOT CUT A LARGE HOLE IN YOUR HIGHTOP