How do you make money?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsfish said:
Wow, my idea of easy doesn't involve 4 years of school and the investment in tuition required

If you are of low income, you can do it in a few years...and for very little out of pocket.
It is also one of the best paying scenarios for nomadic life.
There are often state run schools that have an RN program. VERY low cost. Check them out.
VA people would not have to spend a dime.

Kaylee said:
(bolding added by me)
That's odd. In what general niche have you found that?

I've rarely worked on a team where designers had any coding skills.
There's usually a clean divide between front end and back end stuff, strictly in my experience, which is a mix of corporate, small biz, and pure geek stuff.

If the web site is dynamic such as an inventory site, then you will need to interface with a database.  Also if you are going to be working on something like order entry, then you would need to capture and validate input.  Simple validation can often be done by the tools, but once the validation rules become more complex, then some coding logic can be required.

If the web site is basically a blog/reporting site, then basic wordpress is all you need.    It all depends on the requirements.

mpruet: Agreed.
My point is that perhaps the original statement was based on an atypical niche.

Purely in my own experience, web designers, particularly on multi-person teams, do not "need" coding skills.
I agree completely with (and applaud) the original's comment that it's an excellent field for folks to experiment with. :)
One can start small, experiment, and if one enjoys it, gradually build marketable skills at one's own pace.

Web coding tasks have much higher risks (attack surface) than traditional coding tasks, so there's much tougher entry requirements. That's years vs months of learning, plus much tougher to build a portfolio.

I pick up labor jobs, remodeling, painting...when I'm in Oregon I do farm labor, trimming.

Generally I try to work seasonally,but lately I can't seem to stop getting work. Maybe I'll get this summer off!

So first of all before we talk about getting money, lets first talk about needing money. We are a group of van/rv dwellers living on free federal land. Our general costs are food, gas, insurance. Food can nearly be covered with 3 months of EBT before requiring a 20hr monthly work requirement. Thats about $50/month. Insurance to meet basic legal requirements cost about $10-12 a month. Fuel is up to you, you can drive as little as 0-50 miles a month. 200 miles a month average is perfectly reasonable.

So cutting your programmed consumerism down to the basics requires only a few weeks at state min wages ($11-12hr).

Its a recent invention that life costs money. Most of human existence nobody had money.

Ped has some good points. The more you can cut expenses, the less you need to work. Everyone's budget is different, but there's fat to be eliminated in almost all. I recommend a book called "Your Money Or Your Life" to open your mind to new possibilities. Remember not to judge others by your own standards and preferences. People are at different stages in their lives and have different ideas on what makes them happy. Some have to have their Starbucks coffee or life isn't worth living. Others want electronic stimulation constantly. Some are social creatures and have to be in cities. Personally, if I have books to read, interesting places to hike, and enough food to eat; I'm happy as a clam!
I lived on $500 per month for years quite happily. My biggest expense was gas, followed by food. And even then, there were plenty of ways I could've lived on less. For the last couple years, my van has needed a lot of repairs ($4300 in the last year alone!) and I've had to deal with cancer, along with other physical issues. So my budget has doubled, even with some help from social services. Hence, I have to work more, to cover all the expenses. But even now, I can think of ways that I waste money and could live on less.
A penny saved is more than a penny earned, because you aren't paying 10-40% taxes on the penny saved. That $5 McDs cheeseburger actually costs much more, if you add taxes (IRS and sales) and transportation to go get it. The more you can reduce spending to just what you need and really makes you happy, the less you will need to work. The last couple years, I've worked 5 months on, 7 months off, at California minimum wage. With some unemployment income, that's enough for me to live on. Hopefully the cancer won't come back and I've fixed/replaced almost everything that could go wrong on the van. So I'm anticipating building up a few thousand in savings again this summer.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

jonhash said:
I just want to know the process you make money for living and traveling with VAN. Don't worry, I am not going to steal your ideas... :p

I make money by fixing RV Cabinets and installing RV Floors, When I'm not doing that I medal Detect and buy and sell coins...

the first place to start is by figuring out the type of work you like and have an aptitude for. You can do that with a free online assessment test. It is an amazingly accurate one that is free from the USA government. They don't ask for any of your personal information such as name, age, location, etc. It is just answering questions about your aptitude.
https://www.careeronestop.org/ExploreCareers/Assessments/skills.aspx

Then look at their list of types of jobs you would be a good match for. Next do some research to find out if people are hiring temporary workers or remote workers for those jobs.

The website will also show you how much education is required for work in various fields.

People who have an easier time of finding work know who they are, what they like to do and what they are good at.

You also have the ability to create your own job if you have some ability to do design work or if you are good at sales, social media, writing or any of the arts. Or a skill that can be used on the road such as giving a hair cut to people or dogs, painting, carpentry, sewing. The more skills you have the more small pickup jobs will come your way. But being sociable and engaging in conversations is important for finding pickup jobs as you travel.

Giving advice about things you truly do know and understand is also another way to generate income. Work does not always have to involve physical labor.

I do some freelance writing as a part-time thing, hoping to do enough on the road to break even on my first few trips.

I have my own blog about travel, vehicles and culture. Make money on advertisements. :cool:

I've been a freelance writer for the previous 6 decades and am skillful in generating catchy content to match the requirements of your program and price range. Now i work as an essay writer for Monstratext company. This work allows me to work remotely and live on the road.