How do you make money?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Fivealive sorry if I'm asking too many questions, if I can do this job it could solve my family's financial issues! I can take apart a home pc & put it back together (I've always done my own upgrades), set up a home network, install software & OSes, create partitions & make bootable disks/usbs. I use linux so I can rtfm. I can't remember things like what a lot of abbreviations stand for or how many pins are on different connectors. I don't have any windows commands memorized. I'm comfortable navigating bios. Does it sound like I could do the job without learning any additional skills? Or are there other things I should learn to do first? What sort of tools should I carry with me to go to my first job? What sort of problems would I be likely to fix at a fast food restaurant? Thank you for your help!

Every job on the platforms are unique, some require no skill what so ever and others can be more involved.  For the most part everything is very easy as long as it goes as planned, and it's when things don't go as planned that the experience and knowledge come into play. A lot of the jobs will list tools that you will need, and often they include things on that list that you really will not need but they are just trying to cover themselves for all the scenarios.  As a newbie though its best to only not apply for things if you have all the tools they list and eventually you learn whats really needed.  You can accomplish a lot of the jobs with nothing more then a #2 Philips screw driver, easily the most used tool in this field.  You will also want a phone with a hotspot and laptop.  Learn how to use a USB to console cable and how to console into network appliances. There is not a lot of residential or home-pc type work on the platforms, but there are some.  Most likely you will find yourself in commercial environments.  Knowing how to mount TVs and hook up AV gear will come in handy, a lot of digital signage installs.  You will also want to familiarize yourself with cat5/6 and BNC terminations and have tools to do so.  Cabling tools such as rods are handy and you might want to look into the low voltage cabling requirements for whatever state your in and consider doing some training in that.  Some states require a license others do not.  A small spot monitor will come in handy for CCTV work.  I'm kind of all over the place here because so are the jobs, there is a huge variety and it will take time to learn the ropes for every type of job you will come across.  To start out though just apply for easy ones that you are comfortable with to get some experience under you belt.

I count cards, much like the poster who said they make their living on the stock market, gotta be able to numb yourself from the swings, and you've got to have enough of a bankroll to handle the swings. You can easily go on a long losing streak, but if you play perfect and trust the math, you'll be making money over the long run.

Meh, MOST people have boring ways to make a living. That's why so many people hate their jobs, and dream of quitting and roaming the country in an RV instead.

Before I had trouble with my eyesight (which is now fixed with cataract surgery), I was an artist in my spare time.  I work in stained glass.  Something kind of challenging to do as a nomad, but I'm working on ways to do this.  It's a lot of weight to carry a lot of heavy glass.  Anyway, I've never had trouble selling my artwork.   I'm currently looking into pulling a small cargo trailer with supplies and such.  I have also done conservation work, such as repairing stained glass windows like for churches and such.  That would be something I could do and travel to the places and doing the work on site.  It would be a nice tiny income to supplement a tiny pension and give me a way to write off some expenses.

When I was much younger and traveling with minimal skills I would just talk to people I met in laundromats and grocery stores and ask if they had any odd jobs I could do to earn some money. I was able to make $20 here and there just doing simple stuff, especially for older people like stacking wood, raking lawns etc. I made enough this way to travel for a few years, occasionally someone would hook me up with a good paying temp job.

Itripper said:
When I was much younger and traveling with minimal skills I would just talk to people I met in laundromats and grocery stores and ask if they had any odd jobs I could do to earn some money.  I was able to make $20 here and there just doing simple stuff, especially for older people like stacking wood, raking lawns etc. I made enough this way to travel for a few years, occasionally someone would hook me up with a good paying temp job.

That's much easier for a guy to do.  If you're a solo woman, going around looking to make extra cash doing something might be misunderstood.  Just sayin'

I am hoping to be able to make money writing for newspapers or magazines. I've done restaurant work for years but my physical disabilities have put an end to that.

If I can collect enough recipes, I could try publishing a book of "Recipes from the Road" or something like that. I also do the usual crafts and am willing to do light yardwork or garden weeding in exchange for veggies in season or cash

I've worked with horses and donkeys a lot so I'd take on a stable job. I'm one of those "Jill of many trades, master of none" types.

As wasanah2 pointed out, a single woman (even age 55) could have her intentions mistaken when approaching people for a job

Cheers
Lois

yugogypsy1963 said:
I am hoping to be able to make money writing for newspapers or magazines.
Unfortunately, newspapers and magazines are going away.  You might do better to sell your writing on the internet.  I don't know how to do that, but I have heard that it can be done.   It might be something to research.  I bet there are some folks on here that do that.

Oh and like newspapers and magazines, people don't keep a lot of recipe books like they did in the past because if you have a few favorites, you write them down, and the other thing is you can find out how to do everything on the internet.   The internet has ruined the print industry.  But people still want to read content on the internet.  You'll have to figure out how to do that and monetize it.  Others do it.  So can you.

wasanah2, yes, print is going the way of the dodo bird. The internet has spoiled that for people like me who enjoy reading a good book, however the internet is the world's biggest encyclopedia and I can research how to sell writing or recipe books. Or crafts.

I'll find a way. One word that describes me is STUBBORN and I'll keep looking until I find a way to do what I need to

Cheers, Lois

Im a school bus driver .
Every where I go theres opening when i was in New Mexico they had 14 full time openings but the pay was low about $12 an hour here in Washington state I get $19 hour . Seattle drivers make $25 + but I don't like driving in Seattle (to big) lol
 This time of year is the time to start applying schools almost starting .

wasanah2 said:
Unfortunately, newspapers and magazines are going away.  You might do better to sell your writing on the internet.  I don't know how to do that, but I have heard that it can be done.   It might be something to research.  I bet there are some folks on here that do that.

Oh and like newspapers and magazines, people don't keep a lot of recipe books like they did in the past because if you have a few favorites, you write them down, and the other thing is you can find out how to do everything on the internet.   The internet has ruined the print industry.  But people still want to read content on the internet.  You'll have to figure out how to do that and monetize it.  Others do it.  So can you.
I was going to get into freelance journalism back in 2005, but I instead ended up taking the SEO writing path. I'm glad I did because SEO copywriting brings in a steady income. I do that and social media work.

Also, since 2014, I invested in various video editing software and stock media. I dabbled in video compositing ever since I discovered Windows Movie Maker 10 years ago, and I finally want to start making money doing that too. (I usually use Adobe Premiere Pro now and sometims After Effects.)

-->To all of the other creative people on here too:

I'm happy to hear that there are more of you out there like me. I hope we all get together sometime.

If I find the time, I'd like to collaborate more with people. About 95 percent of what I do is online.

By the way, I sometimes would also do yard work or cleaning if I need extra money, which I might do if I decide to leave my immediate area.

Sent from my RS500 using Tapatalk

jonhash said:
I just want to know the process you make money for living and traveling with VAN. Don't worry, I am not going to steal your ideas... :p

I'm caring for my parents so not on the road (except small trips) I'm disabled I have always been self employed in the past. I receive $934 a month SS which is not enough for me to live on. I would like to think my choice for Nomad Life is for the Freedom and such but truth be told I can't afford not to live in a vehicle if I wish to enjoy my life. I have a couple of options that I will be doing A) Dispatching Freight for a freinds OR Truck earns very little but I enjoy and not to time consuming. B) I have a Sharpening Service that caters to Barbers - Salons & Groomers while this business can be very lucrative due to my disability's I can only do part time I hope to earn enough from the three revenue streams to survive. I also have some savings $5,000 Plus and in a few years have a Annuity which will provide another $650 in income for 5 years. I will publish my budget in future post. I'm realistic as to what my income vs expenses will be and if I work a few more years I'm hoping I will be ok. By the way you can steal any of these ideas including my Disability's (I'll trade for a healthy body!)
Peace & Blessings!
mikesgonenoMad

When I was younger and didn't have work I would place an ad in local paper to clean houses/ windows etc I also had a driveway seal coating business my first job I was hired over the phone and I seal coated the wrong driveway! The owner came home and was so happy with it he not only paid me but sent me to his sisters house to do hers! Think of things that folks don't want to do and Bam your in business! I never tried posting for jobs on Craigslist Im not sure how the results would be.
Peace & Blessings
mikesgonenoMAD

JuliaAnne2018 said:
I was going to get into freelance journalism back in 2005, but I instead ended up taking the SEO writing path. I'm glad I did because SEO copywriting brings in a steady income. 

Hi JuliaAnne!  The only skill I can think of that I have, and enjoy, is writing.  I've never written professionally or sold anything though.  So much of the freelance writing jobs, for those of us who don't have an established name or reputation yet, pay so little.  Sadly, the income for writers is still stuck in the 60's due to the fact that so many "wannabes," and foreign folks (mostly in India from what I've seen) will write for $5 or $10.  

Although I don't have any publication credits, college degrees, or formal training, I have confidence in my abilities and I learn quickly.  Do you have any advice, or resources, I could use to get started the right way when it comes to SEO (or regular) copywriting?  Or perhaps you're aware of other avenues to make a living freelance writing while living on the road?  

Writing is really the only thing I enjoy and is numbers one through nine on my top ten list of ways I want to make a living.  I'll do what I have to do but, if there's any way I can finally (at 52) make a living writing, I'll throw myself into it with all I've got.

Jack,

Me too,I've been writing fiction since 1986. (I also wrote a lot in school) It is one thing I love. I'm planning on keeping a log of my travels and adventures that I hope to turn into a book. I've never published much, a few recipes and short articles on caring for the various animals I've had. I sent them to "Countryside" magazine and they were printed

I'm not bad with a camera so I can add pictures. Being Canadian, I write what I know from my own life experiences (old writers adage--write what you know) Up here on Vancouver Island its commercial fishing and various types of farming.

Sorry but copy writing does NOT appeal to me. I have enough trouble editing my own stuff and because I never finished school, my grammar and punctuation are the pits.

With books and magazines going out of style and everything going to e-books or audio books, I'm not sure how well I'd do.

I also do various crafts and hope to sell some of those and I'm going to sign up for workamping---also because my travelling companion is not as adventurous about boon docking and I don't have solar yet. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get a small generator

But writing is my passion and I'm going to try some as I'll be working and camping my way from here to Nunnelly Tennessee and then Georgia--where my cousin Mike writes for the Atlanta Journal Constitution. He does the political cartoons and if you do Facebook, you may have seen some of his stuff.

My travelling partner is a carpenter so he may be able to make a few $ building things as we travel, he's also artistic, draws, paints and he's good at it. He designed and built my new front porch.

My one problem with writing is that it will consume me for hours. I wrote 31 pages in 27 hours once, I sure was ready for a nap after that and I can't do that if I'm workamping as I'll need to be awake to work.

All my plans are tentative at the moment as I have at least another 6 months work to do to my trailer, its 42 years old and had a rough life, some owners looked after it, others didn't, so I'm patching leaks and as its not a 4 season, I'll have to put more insulation in it. Got it in June and have done some work to it already but the major stuff, like the plumbing someone let freeze and windows that need fixing or replacing (1) I'm going to be busy.

I'll write about that too--as a foreword to my book.

If I can't write something that pays I'll fall back on my restaurant training.People always have to eat as my late friend Ken said

Good Luck with writing, but I do suggest you examine any other skills you have, so you have something to fall back on

Cheers
Lois

I'm an editor for a small publishing company. Advice for those who want to make a living writing: get an agent. It's virtually impossible to get steady writing income without one.

Sadly, the writing industry is a lot like Hollywood acting--every year there are thousands of people who show up thinking they're the Next Big Thing. Virtually none of them ARE--and the ones who aren't get tossed out like yesterday's pizza box. It is a soul-crushing business.

:(

So much of writing is marketing these days. If you can bring a ready market for your output to a publisher, you're way ahead of the game. That's a big reason why social media is so important.

Even a lot of the most successful writing out there isn't very good. Connections have always been important ... and with social media, now you can make them before you even have much product to sell or anything to say.