How do you know if van life is for you?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaclyn

Reaction score
Just posing that question. I have a good setup already selected for my solar, battery, and heating systems to convert my old econoline. The only problem is now I'm questioning whether or not it's a good idea for me to try living in my van full time since solar and mobile internet is going to wind up being a rather sizable investment. I would have to make quite a few compromises to make my life in a van work, mostly getting rid of a lot of belongings or finding some sort of long-term storage solution. The reason I'm trying to move to a van life is because it's what I can afford and my income is pretty sporadic, so living in something I own rather than being in a rent-type situation is much more appealing to me. I just don't want to invest all my savings into something that isn't going to make me feel any more comfortable than my current living situation. I just need to find somewhere sustainable to live because I'm currently in a situation where I have zero privacy and it's just not good. Any advice?

sounds more like a need to cut costs vs. a true desire to wander and roam and live this way thru your wants of a simple, decluttered and free from the rat race type life we all kinda want and willingly go into to cause that is a desire.

so from what I see, hmm, is there any way to get lower cost home/rent/or living arrangement vs. your van as your home? I would exhaust all of that first in every way I could if I just wanted a cheaper home before going all in with a van to live and put money there to make it 'liveable' to your standards you do want...….so kinda very personal since you sound so 'on that fence' of which way to go.

Jaclyn said:
....to convert my old econoline.

If you have an old vehicle and aren't able to do repairs yourself, mechanical breakdowns on the road can end up costing you loads of money and add much frustration. How much rent do you pay now?

If you don't plan to travel a lot and will just be living in one city and not spending a lot on fuel then it's more doable.

If it's privacy you're lacking maybe just set up the van just for that and keep a room?

Van life is a trade off, for sure. As a newbie with 6 weeks on the road, I'm rediscovering the old saying, wherever you go, there you are. Life could be frustrating in sticks and bricks, and it can be out here, too. What sets van life apart for me is the ability to wander and indulge my extremely itchy feet. I enjoy the people I meet and all of the things I'm learning....especially how much I don't care about stuff. I love this life more than I don't, so I'm willing to do it, but it is challenging and I can see why it isn't for everybody. I wish you good luck making your decision.

If you don't have the budget to build a van properly, how will you ever pay for fuel/repair costs, and other unforeseen problems that arise from traveling. This not to mention, who will be able to help you in sparsely populated areas.

I'm not trying to scare you away from this lifestyle, but some realistic goals should be set about your expectations. I don't know where you currently live, but maybe move to a smaller town/rural area, where good jobs are plentiful, so you can save up for your future.

^
internet and solar could be considered a luxury. Van life is very do-able without either. Access to the internet is pretty easy, these days

If you already have the van, try some short getaways with minimal equipment, a "no-build build," to try before you buy. That's essentially what I'm doing. I'm stuck in an apartment lease for another year, so I'll be using that time to determine if going full-time nomad is really for me. I realize you're looking to decide sooner than that, but a short trip or two, even just staying local, to try out van life might tell you what you need to know, and whether the investment will be worth it.

Don't lose sight of your priorities. Don't let the "how" of it all crowd out the "what" and "why." I think your last statement is the most important:

I just need to find somewhere sustainable to live because
I'm currently in a situation where I have zero privacy and it's just not good.

Every solution to that problem will have costs — and I'm not talking only about money. Sometimes we pay with what we have to let go. Sometimes we pay with what we have to take on. Sometimes we pay with our soul. Sometimes we pay a lot up front, sometimes bit by bit, sometimes both. But we pay. Ain't no free lunch. Or shelter. 

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I just don't want to invest all my savings into something that isn't going to make me
feel any more comfortable than my current living situation.
[/font]

Living in a van would solve the privacy issue but, yeah, it might raise other issues. It seems like right now you're trying to learn what those issues might be, what the hard and soft costs might be, and whether you would actually end up happier, healthier, safer. That's complex math, based on each individual's situation, priorities, values, finances, skills, personality...

Several times over the years I've had to deal with people who wanted to make big changes in their life, but only if there were no negative side effects. So they ended up not changing — and not realizing the negative side effects of not changing.

The real question isn't whether you should live in a van or stay where you are. You know you need to leave. So, what are your other shelter options? Living in a van seems to have risen to the top of your list — probably because it seems to fit best with your particular wants and needs and what's available. Now I think it's not a matter of measuring vandwelling against perfection, it's about measuring it against options two and three. Is it, with all its pros and cons, the best you can do? If so, then steel yourself to cope with the negatives.

@jaclyn

Couple questions for you:
Are you a minimalist, or interested in living a minimalist lifestyle? Does your life revolve around acquiring furniture and other land based stuff?

Do you enjoy camping?

Which is more disposable, your sofa or your backpack?

Which do you value more, your apartment/ house or your van?

Can you tether your life through electronic contacts, or do you need familiar places and faces?

I tried living in a 8X 10 foot space for a couple years before deciding. Then I found this forum which was so helpful.

-crofter

Welcome aboard - you got a lot of good advise from the above posters. My 2 cents - try camping on your own in the van without a build for a few days it will tell you a lot - also Bob Wells has an interesting video about a man who set up a "van" in his apartment and tried it out, you might consider watching and trying this. The biggest issue for some is the bucket bathroom - try it - it is not that much different and with biodegradable bags wastes no water and the sewage system adds no chemicals to it so in the end (no pun intended) in is better.

From thinking about things, the best case scenario for me would probably be to set up something a lot smaller scale than I was originally planning for just going on trips and trying to find an apartment or something to rent. Only issue with that is I only have twoish months of rent in savings. I just can't stay here anymore. I'm stuck in a group home, so I have no privacy and there are a lot of restrictions on how I'm allowed to live while here.

Hi Jaclyn,

Lots of good comments here.  You have asked The Question we have all had to face.  There is no way for anyone to say it would or would not be good for you, or anyone else for that matter.

Do think about what kind of support you are hopefully getting in the group home.  Is it something you will need even if you leave?  Can you leave voluntarily?  Will you be able to take care of yourself without assistance?  I do not expect an answer here, just things for you to consider.  One thing that is certain -- any problems or challenges you now face will still be glaring at you in a van (except for maybe the privacy issue and the many rules).

Best wishes.

It takes more than one or two tries to give vanlife a fair shake. I am still tweakig hre and there everytime I take a road trip. You have to be commited enough to keep trying.

is living in a group home going to mean you can't take breaks from it to go out and do some camping trips"

Are you doing all or nothing thinking about this? The mindset of all or nothing can lead to feeling trapped in life. But it is a trap of your own making.

A person who has to live hooked up to machines in a bed few options. A person with advanced memory issues who gets confused about where there are and what they are doing there on a daily basis obviously can't go out on their own safely.

You say you own a van so that means you have the ability to toss a mattress in the back and get away from the group home even if it is just to a nearby local place to camp or boondock. You don't even need any camping equipment or solar to do that. So you are not in an all or nothing situation at present. That means you can ease into the life little by little acquiring equipment you find as donations to you or find at bargain prices or things you adapt to be van life equipment. So start there, don't start with "all or nothing". When it gets to the point you are ready to make the break out into full time living you won't have to ask how to do it because you will already be doing it.

I always have the fear of "needing" to get one more thing done (in the long term plan) before taking the jump & starting to go and do what I want. At the end of the day there is always one (or more) things that I "need" to do to get ready before I can do .............. There is always something else to get done before I can..... (fill in the blank.) It is a tough to have uncertainty, but--some things like solar panels, internet, or TV I have just kicked down the road for now, and I try to go weekend camping with shore power in a campground or use a generator with a no build set-up.
t

I agree with the need to avoid all or nothing thinking. I live full time in the van, but consider myself a part timer. I sleep in the van every night, but am open to other arrangements. So I call myself a part time dweller.   -crofter

Do those restrictions keep you from saving? Can you get ahead in a small apartment? Living in your van could be an option if you had a place to park near your job. Be careful about your decision.

If you only have two months of rent in savings, you don't have enough to cover any emergencies that may come up on the road. I just put $600.00 for tires this morning on my van. Mechanical issues on your vehicle, towing, daily food, etc. outweigh what you're doing now. I understood your need to improve your situation; but don't make decisions in moment of emotion. When you do decide to change to have a better life, make sure you will have a better life; not just the same or worse in a different place.

Rule of thumb; emotionally driven decisions are always wrong.

Don't know if it's for you or not ?   Well,  you're in good company here cause many of us started out the same way.
Some had the advantage of being in boy or girl scouts or going to church camp where they got to sleep under the stars
a few times to adjust to the idea of being outside of the house all night.  Some were from families where they grew up 
camping on the week ends.   So they could overcome the "neo-avoidance" issue a lot of others have that forms
this impasse you are having right now.  But if you can bring yourself to go out in your van with whatever sleeping arrangement you can put in it,  a cooler for food, a mess kit, some extra clothing etc and go week end and day tripping
a few times, you can gradually overcome your fears and replace them with positive experiences. 

I had been a boy scout and got used to traveling with other guys and sleeping in tents as a kid,  but today women are traveling together in their rigs to gain experience while feeling safe.  But women have actually traveled together like this since T model Fords. (and toured large parts of the country).

As for personal belongings, there are many ways to store them safely, but there will be cost to do it.  Lots of people purchase those large plastic bin's with lids to pack things in.  They may get the bags to put clothing items in that the vacuum cleaner will suck all the air out of so they take less space to pack for storage. (Harbor Freight has those for cheap)
By packing things tight in these  containers and keeping a log of what all is in which container (an ink marker to put a number on each container will make organization easy) Then store your log book somewhere very safe.  This can get you out of the apartment and into your van when you are ready to go in warmer weather.  

As for storage,  if you intend to move across country or several states away there are companies like "Pod's" who can store your goods and provide a very large container for your plastic containers,  and later ship that container to where you are so you can unload your stuff when it arrives.   Then put in a storage building of some kind.  Since you won't be paying rent, apartment insurance, utilities, etc  you will have funds freed to cover these cost. 

In the meanwhile, when you are out on the road or boondocking somewhere for a period of time,  I've put together a web portal of handy info to make life easier to navigate.(bottom links below)  It is possible to live as well on the road as at home, if you just know how and what is available to you.  Much of the living you do on the road isn't necessarily "in the van". You may travel in your van, sleep there frequently, and eat there once or twice a day.  I would strongly advise getting a membership to any of the nationally franchised Gym's such as Planet Fitness where your pass will allow  use any of their facilities in their network.  It is like having a Lodge or Home away from Home to spend time in as needed.  Then your van may be like a dorm room for sleeping or a vehicle to travel in.  A little different way of thinking compared to the sticks and bricks. 

But,  if the place where you live doesn't serve your needs then travel may allow you to relax and get a new perspective and even find a better way of life elsewhere.  That's why this nomadic lifestyle is catching on as it is.