How do you keep dishes from breaking?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score
I have Fire King (ovenware) dishes; dinner, salad and coffee plates and some bowls and cups - how do I secure then so they don't break?
They are restaurant and ovenware so they are tough - but breakable.

Also, I have a lot of freeze dried food in large mason jars.

Thank you for advice and insight :)

How do I keep my dishes from breaking? I don't use breakable dishes.

How might YOU keep your dishes from breaking? Stack them with pieces of rubber shelf mat between, store them on the floor where they can't fall, in a tough box or crate.

Oh, boy. Anything breakable in an RV is hard. I use Corelle, which is kept on the rubber non-skid shelf liner behind a cabinet door with 2 strong magnet catches. The cabinet used to only have one magnet until our GPS took us down what looked like a cowpath that had been used for artillery practice. Corelle is strong and virtually chip proof, but a whole set for four explodes in a most spectacular way when it is thrown out of a cabinet and hits the countertop.

So, non-skid shelf liner, a cabinet with a door, a strong latch on the door, and maybe paper towels or dish clothes tucked in where needed.

Ditto ^^ Corelle and some divders.

X2 ^ Stainless and for dishes ,,paper or plastic?

Mostly what everybody else said -- I avoid them. 

I have some glass bowls and a few ceramic-type plates. At the moment they're being stored away in bins or hidden behind pillows or at the edge of the mattress.

When I get more organized, they will be stacked somewhere in a cupboard, but I'll have the non-slip shelf liner that everybody's talking about between them. I guess you could always scrounge up bubble wrap from packages and do the same thing with it for free if you are more patient than I am.

I also use that non-slip shelf liner between things that I stack, like Sterilite containers. It has completely stopped them from sliding around and slipping off each other.

I just bought some of that non-slip shelf liner at Walmart the other day. It was a different color, but otherwise it was the same product that's shown in the following link:

Duck 20" x 6' Select Easy Liner

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-20-x-6-Select-Easy-Liner/16486847

They also have one that I think is 12 inches by 10 ft , which is what I bought. That stuff has been very useful for all kinds of purposes over the years. I try to make sure I always have some of it on hand.

Tom

YEAH, them dastardly gps's always driven down those darn roads

There's GSI enamelware, Sea to Summit backpacking plates and bowls made of plastic. MSR stainless steel bowls and plates.
I made a rule in my van. No glass allowed.

Leave the good china at home.
Use those pad/liners inside all your pots and pans also.
The pads will save the non stick surfaces, and keep things less clangy.
Another option is to add some small hooks in the cabinet and secure the dishes with some thin shockcord.

Corelle is sturdy, but as noted above, it will explode into a million shards. It also transfers heat FAST. A hot meal makes for a very hot plate or bowl.

We had Corelle plates come out of an upper cabinet in a motorhome years ago. It was a disaster!

I would store the jars in a lower cupboard. I would wrap the jars in bubble wrap and secure them. All the plates should have either non-slip or foam sheeting between each one and then placed in a cupboard snugly so they cannot move around. There should be some sort of foam padding, maybe like a yoga mat material in the cupboards also. Don't trust the latches on the doors and cupboards either with carrying that much weight.

The worst roads for us were the ones with the wake-up grates that wiggle and giggle and vibrate your voices in the vehicle. And, they were always doing road construction where you had the dropoff to the side of the road to go around.

We use camping/backpacking bowls and dishes.

My mom preferred her good glassware when they traveled in her motorhome, there was NO way she was drinking wine out of a plastic cup, so I suggested she stop at the liquor store and pick up a couple of liquor boxes. She did and cut then down so they fit in her lower cabinet; held her glassware nicely. She did add a layer of that rubber shelf liner in the bottom and it worked well for her for many years.

Shelf liner is my friend, also positive latches on doors. A paper towel between plates gets use as a napkin or to wipe plates before washing, then replaced with fresh when stacking.
Bungee cords stretched across a couple inches above shelves keep stuff from attacking me when I open doors too.
Mason jars are stored in a cabinet with my clothes (bottom shelf only) so I slip a rolled tee shirt or socks between jars.
Cast iron pans get stacked in a plastic dish pan- the handles are too long for the pan, so all are at an angle and rarely rattle.

for kitchenware I use stainless and aluminum. trying to go all stainless. for the Mason jars I put a few wraps of that plastic stretch wrap that is used for moving. Home Depot has it in the storage/moving area. in fact I use that for a bunch of stuff. someone here recently said to use old socks(washed of course) to put the jars into, I am going to try this. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
 . . . use old socks(washed of course) to put the jars into . . .

HDR: use unwashed, adds 'flavor'  :cool:

I put a 1 inch lip on the front of all shelves in cabinets.  I keep cooking and diner ware in plastic bins on said shelving.  Even if the cabinet door opens the contents will not slide out.  I carry breakable plates and bowls (cheapest is to use what one has), washcloths for spacers.  Haven't lost anything yet and things back there get jostled a lot.

-- Spiff

I have seen some videos where travelers screw the mason jar lid perm. under the cupboard so the mason jars are hanging - anyone try that?
Wondering if it works in real life traveling ...

I love my Griswold cast iron pots and pans and will use those - I like the ideas you all shared about separating and protecting - thank you!

I have traveled by RV for many years with a subset of my great grandmother's china, because I love it. Haven't broken one yet, knock on wood. They live in tree overhead cabinet, with non skid shelf liner pads between, and packed fairly tight they don't flop around. The two wine glasses I have never have broken either. I did bust a Corelle bowl once.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Are the mason jars the one quart? If so, google for "jar box".