how do you cook your rice?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unicutie

Reaction score
I know you all have to be eating a lot of rice. My thing lately has been quinoa but it's more expensive, So I need to break into my rice stash.

There's many ways to cook rice, i want to know what your favorite way is, and if there are any tricks to minimize fuel usage!

I have a huge sack of brown rice waiting for me ;;)

41E2qlkPu-L.jpg

17 minutes total for regular white rice.

40 minutes for wild rice mix.

Love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QWPYC38/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's super efficient with induction cookware and cooktop.

Uni, im not into brown rice,but for white rice i bring the water to a boil, i add a chicken bouillon cube,1 bay leaf, let water boil until i can start to smell the bay leaf usually about 30 secs. add a pat of butter dump in rice, bring back to a boil for about 1 min, cover simmer 10 mins (as slow a simmer as you can) turn off heat, let set covered, DO NOT be tempted to peek, 15 mins. rice is done perfectly,

For instant rice, I set a black plastic bottle full of water on the dashboard in the sun for a few hours, to get hot water.

In winter, I fill a thermos with instant rice, cover it with boiling water from the stove, then carry it around with me. The water cooks the rice, then keeps it warm all morning till lunchtime.

We make solar rice.   We use a 1 cup size (dry rice) 110VAC electric rice maker which draws 200 watts for the 20 minutes or so it takes to make the rice.   During this time the solar is usually putting out about 800 watts so it is totally solar rice.  Tastes so good!

2 cups of water, 1 cup of brown rice, handful of wild rice. Bring water to a boil, add rice and return to a boil. Reduce to simmer for 7 or 8 minutes. Remove pot from stove and let sit for another 15 to 20 minutes until water is all absorbed. Fluff and serve.

Oh and since that makes enough rice for 3 or 4 servings, I've learned a neat way to reheat rice - I use a metal strainer over top of a little water in a pot on simmer. The lid doesn't fit tight but it's good enough. I tried using my veggie steamer and it's okay with rice but quinoa falls through the holes...lol. The sieve is fine enough that there's no fallout... :)

^^^Oooo, that's a handy tip. You could also make some tea with the water. One-pot monk meal.

I don't eat a lot of rice. But I carry a couple of those Uncle Ben's Precooked rice packages. You can heat in microwave or skillet. A bit expensive per serving, you pay for quick and easy.

I am using propane for cooking, 15lb tank and a coleman camp grill. some of these may work for me :) i need to get a #10 can before i leave, i'm gonna make one of these for backup :

#10 can rocket stove

so yea i will be cooking over fire ;;) i like the black bottle and instant rice idea, i'll have to grab some instant. I have some black spray paint lol i bet i can make my own black bottle XD

I bought a Japanese  rice cooker in Japan 20 years ago and it's still going strong. Mine is in Japanese, but my son bought the same model the next year there with labeling in English. That one is also still working flawlessly. Using the fuzzy logic setting makes perfect rice without fail.

For the van, I just bought a 310 watt 3 cup Panasonic rice cooker through Amazon. I've used it in the van and in the house and it works wonderfully.

Rice cookers can be used for many foods other than rice. Rice cooker recipes abound on the internet.  My son cooked a batch of cherrystone clams in his a couple of months ago.
Ted

I use the boil in bag, so easy. Don't really care for white rice but need it for the pups tummys some times. Instant rice is really great cooked in mushroom soup though. Love yellow rice with a can of black beans on top.

Due to ARSENIC in rice, you're supposed to rinse it, then soak it overnight and rinse several times, then cook it, which goes fast due to the soaking. Same with dried beans, lentils, etc.

Haven't heard about arsenic, but  I do rinse mine to get rid of extra starch which helps rice from getting *****/gloppy.
If I recall you don't rinse risotto rice and maybe a couple others.  I only cook brown and long grain rices not sure if white rice needs rinsing might already be pretty processed.

I'm gonna die from something, might as well be arsenic. Half the time I don't even wash my veggies.

But we do use the Japanese rice. Comes out better.

WalkaboutTed said:
I'm gonna die from something, might as well be arsenic.  Half the time I don't even wash my veggies.

But we do use the Japanese rice. Comes out better.

I dunno, Ted. If this description is accurate, I'd prefer not to go by arsenic poisoning:

Arsenic poisoning is a medical condition that occurs due to elevated levels of arsenic in the body.[4] If exposure occurs over a brief period of time symptoms may include vomiting, abdominal pain, encephalopathy, and watery diarrhea that contains blood. Long-term exposure can result in thickening of the skin, darker skin, abdominal pain, diarrhea, heart disease, numbness, and cancer.[1]
Arsenic acts via changing the functioning of around 200 enzymes.

--from Wikipedia's Arsenic poisoning page.

That page also mentions the risk of arsenic poisoning from rice.

i eat about a pound,(before) cooking, a week for as long as i can remember, I've never done any of those things, but that esplanes my flaming rectalosis, phew, and i thought i was going to have to give up thai chillies.

For an energy efficient brown or white rice lunch just cook as normal for 5 minutes in the morning, pour it all into a thermos, and it's ready at lunch time.
You can do it with just boiling water but it takes about 12 hours from the time you pour it all into the thermos.
Thermos cooking works great for a lot of things though and keeps fuel/power costs WAY down since you never need to do more than boil water.

You can cook rice in a pot with a lid. 2 cups of white rice, place your pinky in the pot so it is touching the rice and fill with water to the first crease (knuckle) in your pinky. Bring to boil, turn down heat as low as it will go and cover with lid. Should be done in 20 min.

My fishing buddy called this "Asian-style". He was Filipino. My wife is american of Chinese descent and knows how to make rice this way. I'm half Japanses and knew how to make rice this way, too. So I guess my buddy is right...

This works well on a home stove where it is easy to control the simmer temp. Not sure if the Coleman propane stoves simmer well...

Travel monkey that's how I learned to cook rice also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk