Spam Lovers Beware

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the store today, bought a can of regular and a can of bacon spam, as per the website, both were chicken free. The lower sodium stuff indicated it contained chickens.

Went to the store today, bought a can of regular and a can of bacon spam, as per the website, both were chicken free. The lower sodium stuff indicated it contained chickens.
They must be transitioning... That lower sodium is actually what I buy instead of regular. It tastes better to me. The cans I have of it are just pork. My Hickory flavored has chicken as well as... Grrrrr.

I love Spam and I look like it. I like the convenience of the foil packet one slice. I can make two nice meals out of that one packet. When I used to be able to hike carrying a foil packet in the backpack was great. I think in moderation it’s not bad. But then I’m fat so who knows. I do know that when I took a youth group camping the mothers complaint when the boys got home was that their boys don’t eat Spam it’s not healthy for you. What I did back then was sliced Spam very thin and fried as if it was bacon because it’s convenient to carry in the can rather than bacon which Hass to be refrigerated. But I had to Hooten holler and laugh about this mother so I thought Spam wasn’t healthy so serve the boys bacon. Good Lord if there’s anything less healthy than Spam it’s gotta be bacon. Unfortunately I love them both. Now Walmart has 3 ounce cans or an ounce and a half foil packet of pulled pork with barbecue sauce it’s excellent excellent. They also have very nice white chicken meat in foil pack or the 3 ounce can. And they have Beef cubes into 3 ounce can. I like them all. All of these products from Walmart are very convenient and I find them good quality. But isn’t good quality as some of the brands of ground beef they sell that is caned. I bought three and opened one it’s nearly half fat. I would venture to say there’s more fat and a can of their ground beef and a can of Spam.

so tell me what is the difference between chicken and mechanically separated chicken and is it any worse than other kinds of chicken? I do like that Walmart chopped white chicken breast that I talked about with some barbecue sauce on it and some onions in the pan too.

Since Covid I have been eating more of it. I bought it to stock up, and because it was handy been consuming it. Teriyaki and Jalapeno are my favorites.

Since Covid I have been eating more of it. I bought it to stock up, and because it was handy been consuming it. Teriyaki and Jalapeno are my favorites.
I like the Teri Spam thin sliced and very slowly fried till crisp - it's tasty but too mushy IMO. It's got that D*%n chicken slime in it too (probably why it's mushy). Seems like all the varietals have / are transitioning to add that. 2020 made was the last year I have on the shelf that was just pork. The Jalapeno hasn't got it yet. Bought a can just a few days ago. The 25% less sodium has it now too and it's the kind I usually buy.

Ahh the things that are important to us retirees...

🤣