Wynter 45 Quart Price Check at Aisle 1 Please

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDub

Reaction score
OK, this is my first "Dummy rehashes an oft discussed question" but here goes. I have a chance to purchase a Wynter 45 qt 12v fridge for less than 400 bucks brand new due to some reward card points I've built up. Free shipping and no tax. Outside of getting a used one, am I going to realistically find a better price for one or its equivalent out there? I've been using an old Coleman 12v cooler that was given to me for camping in cool weather and a standard ice chest loaded with frozen 2 liter pop bottles I've collected from friends to provide cooling and cold water in hot weather.

I really don't have all that much to keep cool since I normally cook with a lot of foodstuffs that require no real refrigeration (I'm kinda of the pioneer cooking type) - flour, country ham, canned milk, eggs, olive oil, bacon grease, lard, potatoes, onions, root and canned veggies, grains (grits, rice, quinoa, cornmeal,) cheese, etc. I freeze the meat I'm going to BBQ before leaving, and being from Hawaii, of course, there has to be SPAM!!! I just think that this is a pretty deal and I'll be sorry later on for not having taken advantage of it. It would be taken on trips in my Jeep and run off 200 AH (out of 400 total) battery bank.

Thanks in advance for your hoots of derision and thinly veiled weary toleration! :D

In a Jeep, I'd think you would be more affected by the space it would take up compared to one of the smaller $200-ish versions.

To allow sufficient air to circulate you need to leave some room around the edges. So the footprint is a little larger than the unit's dimensions.

Thanks for your input.  The Jeep is a Grand Cherokee vs a Wrangler and I remove the rear seat for trips so the space penalty isn't too bad since I already include a cooler - it's more of a transport vehicle than anything since everything but sleeping is done in the RV tent. To be honest, I know that I could go with the smaller model - the 35 quart would run me less than 300 bucks (my points are about to expire - that's why the urgency). However, I try to think ahead and If I'm planning to spend a lot more time on the road going out west, it may come in handy - even if there's already a fridge built into the teardrop I'm planning on taking. Heck, more room for COLD BEER! :D

" am I going to realistically find a better price for one or its equivalent "

Unless you are very lucky, No. you will NOT find a better price. although I like the old saying goes, never say never. chances are you will not find one at that price. I would jump on it.

Highdesertranger

I'ma gonna run with the Big Kahuna's opinion here. Done! I'll share the benefits it provides in cold beverages when we meet up! :D

JDub said:
.....and If I'm planning to spend a lot more time on the road going out west, it may come in handy - even if there's already a fridge built into the teardrop I'm planning on taking.

A Grand Cherokee and a teardrop should make a nice travelling setup. Are you shopping for a teardrop?

It seems to be a good combination based on the total towing capacity of the Jeep (6500 pounds and 350 tongue weight). I'm shooting to keep towing weight at ~ 45-4700 pounds. I don't need all the space and extras that even small box trailers have. I need a small, light trailer with a robust suspension and low profile that will be easy to handle and heat and cool. Some of the ones I looked at out there are way too fancy and expensive - Tabs come to mine - some have the kitchen outside either under the rear hatch or as a slide out which isn't very suitable for the delightfully bracing and breezy days full of liquid and or frozen sunshine to be encountered out West even w a covering. Extended tent living really isn't an option as all you old timers know and so many newbies have found out (the hard way).

The basics I need are: Basic interior w kitchenette and latrine, full size bed, a sitting area, enough space for myself, Muttley, and the battery bank that can be easily heated or cooled that I can stand fully upright in (just large enough not to go stir crazy in during bad weather). No finely finished woods and sleek Swedish designed kitchens needed. integrated heating and cooling, a suitable roof for mounting 4 Renogy 100 watt glass panels, insulated and tinted windows, and electric brakes. I've pretty much settled on a Braxton Creek Bushwacker which meets all the requirement at ~ a 14K price point.

I'm shooting for this summer to pick one up.

JDub said:
It seems to be a good combination based on the total towing capacity of the Jeep (6500 pounds and 350 tongue weight). I'm shooting to keep towing weight at ~ 45-4700 pounds.

This does not pan out mathematically....I'm not sure if your specs are misquoted, or mistyped, or what the issue might be.

For a vehicle to be able to bumper tow 6500 pounds it would also need to be able to support a tongue weight of about 15% of that, in this case, the tongue weight would need to be around 975 pounds.

For your projected trailer weight around 4700 pounds your tongue weight would need to be around 705 pounds....more or less.

It is possible to use a weight distributing hitch to help balance and level the rig and shift some of that tongue weight to the steer axle and the trailer axle, but you still need to be in the ballpark.

You're right! I dittzed out writing that (just got back from a hike and some ladies came knocking at the same time wanting me to sign a petition) It's the usual specs for a V8 JGC 4.7L. I'm easily distract... OOOOOOOhhh look at the SQUIRREL! 

Cheers!

JDub said:
... a suitable roof for mounting 4 Renogy 100 watt glass panels...

You may want to look into the larger 310 -410 Watt panels. Much more energy dense. I believe they are only about 2x the size of the 100W panels. I think Santan Solar has a good deal on them.

In hindsight I probably would, but I've already got the system - 4 x 100W panels, a 40 amp MPPT controller, an MT50, 4 group 90 marine batteries, and a 1500 W inverter ( I have 1 backup for each type)... They're pretty new so it'll be a while before I replace them. When I do I'll be leaning towards your suggestion.

Cheers

JDub, In a few years you'll likely be able to swap them out for 600-700W panels. And large lithium batteries. At a much more affordable price too. Your 100W panels will likely still work so you can sell or donate them.