How do I Propperly Install a Truck Topper?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woltz

Reaction score
Title say's it all. I see videos of people just bolting it on, I see videos of people adding tape. What's the proper method of putting a topper on a truck to ensure that it stay's strong and secure for as long as possible without causing problems?

the best way is to use the proper seal used by topper dealers and, if you want the topper easily removable. topper clamps
You can also use foam tape, and clamps, bolt it down through the foam tape, and some folks like to bolt it down through a board
A quality shell will be fine with any of these methods

The topper bolts down, or clamps down with devices designed for that purpose.

The foam tape is weatherstripping and minimizes scratches to the bedrail.

Can you help me find the right foam tape and the clamps. I don't know what to look for. Also different options in clamps and foam tape would be nice.

I agree the proper sealing tape is needed. Home Depot usually has it in their weather strip section. as far as attachment, I do not like those clamps. they just come loose, or they dig into the fiberglass then they come loose. plus they only grab a small area of the top. what I like to do is run a piece of wood or aluminum angle down the sides and bolt the top down though the wood or angle and the top. I prefer the angle as it gives you a lip to attach other things. use at least three bolts down each side. I have never had a top come loose this way. I can't say that with the clamps in fact I almost completely lost a top with the clamps. highdesertranger

So HDR, you put the angle on the inside, is the mental image I'm getting? I do use those clamps, and have never lost a cap, but the angle idea does sound more secure, and while some will protest 'you need tools to remove it' the same is true of bolts through angle or wood

Woltz, The clamps OP linked to are the correct ones; on my ranger I'm using 2 per side, but 3 would be better, especially on a long bed, which I hope you have, if you're going to sleep in it
This gasket https://www.amazon.com/Super-Width-...487780691&sr=8-2&keywords=truck+topper+gasket
is superior to the tape, but costs more. I currently have no gasket, and no leaks, but it sure scratches the paint when I pull the topper off

the angle goes on the inside lip where the clamps would normally attach. the bolts goes though all three layers, the angle, the top, and the bed lip. highdesertranger

@highdesertranger Can you show me a picture of what you mean?

I posted a detailed account of how I did it on your other thread - hope it helps.

I've seen more than one truck just use C clamps to keep them attached (I don't recommend it). I like the method HDR has suggested. I've always bolted mine down with large fender washers but the angle iron/aluminum is even better as it gives you more surface area on the fiberglass.

If you're still unsure, I think almost any dealer that sells them would install one for you for not much money. Under $100 as it would only take them 20 minutes or so.

Dealers in my area charge I think $150 or so, IIRC, of course, that's with the high end gasket and, um, camper clamps

{shrug}  We used the clamps on the family farm truck for years without any problem.  You need to check the tightness every so often, that's just routine maintenance.

Our cap was aluminum, not fiberglass, so cracking was never an issue

Of course, this was a working truck, and we wanted to make it easy to pull the cap off when we needed to carry something too big to fit with the cap on.  It probably came off, and got re-installed, four or five times a year.   If that's not an issue, then bolting it down is fine.

I just tried to do a sketch up. *&^%$. I don't know how to draw with it. in fact I never learned to do anything with it. it very frustrating, it never does what I want it to do. highdesertranger

That link Art gave you for the gasket is what I used After I tried the foam and the foam is a bitch to get off if you want to remove the top I stuck that good gasket to the bottom oh the camper top and when I need to take the top off it comes off easily.