How are you all doing in COVID-19 times?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bagabum said:
I wish here in Rockport Tx they would enforce the law

I think this is a problem in most areas where masks are required. With Walmart, it is a company-wide requirement regardless of local or state law, as I understand it. Still, people with medical issues where masks would be a problem aren't required to wear them. When I was in the Post Falls, Idaho Walmart I saw a long time friend with disabilities sitting there on a motorized cart... not wearing a mask.

She's not a scofflaw, but wasn't wearing it for medical reasons. I was so happy she recognized me even with the mask on, and not expecting me to be in the area. Now, if anyone was going to die from covid if they caught it, it would probably be someone like her because of her pre-existing conditions... but she hasn't caught it. She was there to turn in some paperwork to the optometrist.

By the way, I'm on day 10 of my 14-day post-trip quarantine, and still healthy. I realize for those who get covid the results can be disastrous (though usually not) but I no longer am worrying about covid germs being on everything I touch, or in every environment, or carried by most people, or masks not working. I'm done with the paranoia. Either I get it or I don't. So far, I haven't and I'm just not all that worried anymore. I no longer let boxes sit three days before touching them after UPS delivers... I don't wipe down food packages anymore either. I just touch whatever I need to touch and then use some hand sanitizer and go on with my day.

No shoes,no shjrt, no mask, no service. ?

Well the hospitals and doctors still are asking you do those things but they are learning more about the virus as we get more experience dealing with it. Supplies are still hard to come by here to sanitize. I have gotten so used to going through the procedures it really isn’t much of a bother. Sort of like automatically putting on a seat belt. I for one can’t afford financially or physically to catch it, I have a hard enough time with colds and regular flu which these procedures will help prevent as well so I will hopefully start doing this every flu season. I would like to be vaccinated once they have a safe reliable one. It is here with lots of new cases and deaths every day. When all the stores shelves are packed with spray cans of Lysol maybe that will make me change my mind. I’m not really afraid of getting lost but still carry a whistle. I’m not really afraid of the virus but I still do what needs to be done as I don’t want to get it or give it to anyone. I make sure to stay away from anyone else that doesn’t feel that way and so far it is working for me.

Tony\ said:
I contacted my representatives and told them its about time to treat us like adults and not children.  Tell us about the dangers and let us decide how to protect ourselves.  Yes its a harmful pandemic but we have seen others over the years.  I am going through life without wearing a mask, except in places mandated by law.  Those stores that require me to wear one will not see me often and suffer for it.
Really, you think they'll suffer? How much money do you spend?

I'm the opposite. I won't even enter a business that I don't think is serious about enforcing mask wearing and social distancing. I can tell who they are, because 1) I see customers getting away with not wearing masks and 2) they have signs in the window decrying "stupid" government rules.

Rvwandering - I will obey your rules and not get political. There is not nor has there ever been a politician worth losing friends over. But this much I want to say it is a darn shame that this thing has become a political issue in addition to a health issue. I just wish everyone ( not accusing anyone Here) would all grow up and base their actions on real science without political influence. This nation will never get over the effects of Corvid divided we have got to be united, and I don’t think Washington is capable of that. God bless the nomads all of us

Current stats in southern AZ if you happen to get sick here:

Arizona currently has 302,324 confirmed cases of COVID-19, resulting in 6,464 deaths  
Yuma County currently has 16,823 confirmed cases of COVID-19, resulting in 375 deaths 
Currently 90,038 Yuma County residents have been tested  
Currently 105 Yuma County Residents are hospitalized AS OF 8 am 11/23/20, but only 50% of hospital capacity used so far

Total residents in Yuma county 213,787 so about half have been tested. Apache County (on the border with New Mexico) has the highest infection rate and daily number of cases right now and also a lower population, so be glad you are not there.   ~crofter

https://covidactnow.org/us/arizona-az/county/yuma_county?s=1364350

Until testing is available/possible and required to get a large enough sample in all states to understand how many have had it and to what it extent they have gotten immunity it will be difficult to get enough vaccine to quickly identify who needs the vaccine and who doesn’t, never mind getting enough participation to make it work. Keep doing what needs to be done to get the infection rates down to a point contact tracing with more available testing can control the spread. It seems so simple, social distance, wear a mask, wash your hands, stay at home but with an uneducated, uninformed and unwilling population it seems it will be impossible without national and state mandates and financial assistance for those unable to survive while we get it done.

bullfrog said:
... It seems so simple, social distance, wear a mask, wash your hands, stay at home but with an uneducated, uninformed and unwilling population it seems it will be impossible without national and state mandates and financial assistance for those unable to survive while we get it done.
We were doing pretty good in southern AZ with the mask wearing because we had to keep the businesses open. Now the winter visitors don't seem too concerned about wearing the mask or keeping any distance. I have gone back to staying home, and I am sure people think I am a hermit, but at least I am not a sick hermit.
I dug out a bunch of genetic research articles on strains of the virus for something to read, it is on the genetic thread.
~crofter

Responding to "how we doing" question, Phoenix is in the top five US cities for number of covid cases, and Phoenix also in the top 20 US cities for covid deaths. Other areas of AZ are quite scary also. My county is pretty high on the covid stats also, but only half as bad as the worst county in the US.

Family members went to a wedding in Wyoming and came back with covid 19. All recovered. During the present third wave, a family member was exposed at the school where she teaches and is waiting for test results. I assist the oldest member of our family, and we take precautions and still apparently healthy, but have not been tested. Everyone in our family is staying home for the holidays, fingers crossed waiting for the vaccine.  -crofter

So now it's somewhat personal. My landlord's cousin died from COVID yesterday. He was 65.

Now there are travel restrictions. Many will be trapped in places they don't want to go. Are we not a nation of free people?

We were free to use common sense prevention and failed. Now common sense rules are needed to survive. Navajo nation has been locked down for weeks and will continue to do so as like the rest of the nation if the death rate continues to rise to their levels.

Basically this first batch will be distributed to the states based on 6% of the population. States still do not have money to support everything that needs to be done to get everyone the vaccine.