How are you all doing in COVID-19 times?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
travelaround said:
My county has had 144 cases. Only 11 are active now; the rest recovered. Nobody died. If I'm going to get Covid I'd rather do it here where people tend to recover. Our health care providers seem to know what to do.
YMMV. It pays to live in an out of the way place, but given the loose (drunken) behavior you described, all it takes is one infected person to come to town, and everyone gets it. As I recall, VanFan lives in Dallas or some other bad place. My county is well down the list on a "relative basis", but we've still had 7600 cases, 1100 are active, and 150 have died. Almost 90% of those who died are over 60.

Qxxx said:
given the loose (drunken) behavior you described...

You mean the woman who invaded my son's house in the middle of the night a few days ago? I think it is probable she was on meth, not drunk. We don't know for certain. I've also heard she has mental problems. We don't actually know her but I do know her mother from a Bible study I used to attend, before Covid. Anyhow, we are generally careful here, and as for me, I stay home most of the time and when I go to the store or post office I wear a mask as does everyone else as that's a state-wide order at this time.

I hate the masks.
I have to wear them for 7 hours at work. From time to time I rush to the back room, just to rip it off my face and breath like a human for a minute...
I'm glad it is only 3 days a week, but I can't wait to get away from this mess.

Sofisintown said:
I hate the masks.

Same here. It feels very dehumanizing and this whole thing makes us afraid of any close friendly contact with other people. Sometimes when I see a sign asking for masks to be worn, I feel angry... but I put it on anyway, of course. I'm just ready for this all to be over.

travelaround said:
You mean the woman who invaded my son's house in the middle of the night a few days ago? I think it is probable she was on meth, not drunk. 
What I was referring to was where you mentioned on the other thread ... "Meanwhile, three other young men in the place never woke up - one in a bedroom and two sleeping on the living room sofa right next to where all this was happening. They were drunk". It's a known fact that many outbreaks are due to people in bars and nightclubs spreading covid due to poor social behavior.

travelaround said:
My impression is that the epidemic is over-hyped at this point

It feels very dehumanizing and this whole thing makes us afraid of any close friendly contact with other people. Sometimes when I see a sign asking for masks to be worn, I feel angry... but I put it on anyway, of course. I'm just ready for this all to be over.
I'm glad to see that you ladies are helping to protect old folk like myself, who account for 80% and more of covid deaths.

What's missing from the national dialogue is that every other major country in the world has brought covid under control (in Europe and southeast Asia), and that almost all countries currently have their borders closed to americans. 

This should be beat into the thick heads of americans every single day, and it's not.

Qxxx said:
I'm glad to see that you ladies are helping to protect old folk like myself, who account for 80% and more of covid deaths.

What's missing from the national dialogue is that every other major country in the world has brought covid under control (in Europe and southeast Asia), and that almost all countries currently have their borders closed to americans. 

This should be beat into the thick heads of americans every single day, and it's not.
We just happen to be old folk too, Q.
I believe I already had Covid already right after Chrismas, when I started getting a real nasty "cold" that knocked me off my feet in day two. Two of my co-workers were sick at the time. A younger one that was out for a couple of days, and an older one that was carrying the "cold" for weeks on end. In my case, I squashed it with my own potions fast, on the second day.
I tested negative in May, and even though 3 more coworkers tested positive in June and July, I never got it again.

Yes, she was from another department and only 28 years old. She called in sick one day, died the next. It turned out that she also had underlying heath issues (Asthma and COPD).

But I was talking about the people in my department that I -unavoidably- work close with.

I contacted my representatives and told them its about time to treat us like adults and not children. Tell us about the dangers and let us decide how to protect ourselves. Yes its a harmful pandemic but we have seen others over the years. I am going through life without wearing a mask, except in places mandated by law. Those stores that require me to wear one will not see me often and suffer for it.

More people died in 2019 from cigarettes and cigarette related products then have died from this pandemic. What has the government done to stop smoking? They required them to print a warning on the packs that says this is killing you and have tacked on huge tobacco taxes. Did they close the stores that sell them?

Almost the same amount of people of died in alcohol related incidents in 2019. What is the government doing to stop the production of alcohol? Do they require breath tests at the door before you leave to drive home? They assume you will drink responsibly but the number of drunk driving accidents continue each year.

Should we ban these items? No, we tell you about the dangers and let you make your own decision. The same needs to happen here!

Tony\ said:
...  I am going through life without wearing a mask, except in places mandated by law...
Just wear the mask, it is protecting everyone including you from the worst case scenario. BTW cigarettes are not contagious, but secondhand smoke does harm others, so social distance when smoking also please.
-crofter

Qxxx said:
What I was referring to was where you mentioned on the other thread ... "Meanwhile, three other young men in the place never woke up - one in a bedroom and two sleeping on the living room sofa right next to where all this was happening. They were drunk". It's a known fact that many outbreaks are due to people in bars and nightclubs spreading covid due to poor social behavior.

They were drinking at the home across the street where they were visiting, most likely. There's no longer a saloon in our town. [Long sad story as to why, omitted.]

Please note: my son was not the one passed out drunk. He was asleep in the bedroom he rents there and was the first one to wake up when the axe-wielding woman (who he didn't know) came crashing through the front door. It was a random attack - she didn't have any history with any of the men there that night. She had visited several other homes in the neighborhood, up to no good, prior to invading my son's home. He's a kind and responsible young man who works full time.

I am not one to drink but also not one to condemn those who do, though I wish they wouldn't. FYI - I have never been drunk and back when the saloon was open, I never went there except a couple times on Chamber of Commerce business.

Qxxx said:

I'm old too. I don't know what you want from me. I wear my mask in the store and post office when I go there once a week. I stay home most of the rest of the time. What else am I supposed to do?

Tony\ said:
The same needs to happen here!
Yer logic is irrefutable, and also the reason why there is no control over covid spreading in this country, and why the US is leading the world with 25% of the cases and deaths, while all the major countries in the world have controlled it. You don't need to contact anyone.

travelaround said:
I am not one to drink but also not one to condemn those who do, though I wish they wouldn't. FYI - I have never been drunk and back when the saloon was open,
I used to be a drunk myself, when I was in my late 20s and 30s, and I don't really care what people do, unless of course, they're also out in the woods being drunk with guns. 

The point was .... lax social behavior in groups is a major form of how the virus is spread. That's why bars and nightclubs have been shut down all over the world in countries that actually give a damn. People get drunk and have no control over their inhibitions. That's why "I" was a drunk.

Qxxx said:
I used to be a drunk myself, when I was in my late 20s and 30s, and I don't really care what people do, unless of course, they're also out in the woods being drunk with guns. 

The point was .... lax social behavior in groups is a major form of how the virus is spread. That's why bars and nightclubs have been shut down all over the world in countries that actually give a damn. People get drunk and have no control over their inhibitions. That's why "I" was a drunk.
One day at a time, my friend.
-crofter

Thankfully my employer went whole hog on the distancing thing and I am working remotely. They are in no hurry for us to come back. Im saving a lot more money not having to commute and not buying coffee every day. I also picked up a part time remote gig that I can do anywhere. In addition to that, we have to deal with fairly regular bouts of domestic terrorism, so I don't get out much. That is actually more concerning to me than Covid at this point. Come November, I'll be particularly grateful to be off the streets. I'm close enough to retirement that I can get out of here if the situation becomes more than I want to handle.

slow2day said:
security guards enforcing the law.

What I've seen is 99% compliance and I always wear a mask. 
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]slow2day , [/font]I wish here in Rockport Tx they would enforce the law, when entering Walmart, there is a Security Attendant checking for masks, I don't have enough fingers to count the number of customers (every visit)   wearing there mask on their neck once they get in.  I'm 65,  at this age, I don't need any strain of  flew, virus, bug or whatever those  that think it's fake want to call it.  I guess they can technically say they are wearing one???

I've now been thru 14 states and it has varied some. At many of the smaller cities in MI,IN,IL & MO I did see quite a few people that didn't comply. Maybe the attitude is, "We don't have no stinkin' big city problems".
Dr.Fauci has recently said that some of those Midwestern states may soon have worse outbreaks.