Hot Showers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trouble with those 5-gallon bag showers is the lifting of it. I'm 70, and there's no way I can lift 40+ pounds of water above my shoulders.

BelgianPup said:
The trouble with those 5-gallon bag showers is the lifting of it.  I'm 70, and there's no way I can lift 40+ pounds of water above my shoulders.

I can shower with much less, but ... comfortably?  Even more so if you're in less than a hot tropical climate?  5 gallons is doable but only just comfortable. 3 gallons is your skin's starvation wages.  8 gallons is really nice if you have a good set-up.

In a house?  Double or triple that OR MORE very easily without even noticing you're doing it, or notice that you're "sacrificing" if you don't.

GntlStone said:
Might I suggest a garage door pulley and a length of rope? Use a xxxl carabiner clip ($.99 @ Harbor Freight] to hang the pulley and rope, then hoist and tie off to something.

Pulley: https://www.lowes.com/pd/DURA-LIFT-5-in-Gold-15-Gauge-Steel-Garage-Door-Pulley/1001417036
Can't vouch for a garage door I imagine most nomads don't have, but a pulley is of course the perfect starting point if you want to hang stuff. 

Still, a 30-ish USD (40?) pump/showerhead combination is commonly sold on Amazon and all it takes is something to hold the hot water. Not so easy in winter when you wouldn't want to be showering outside anyway(brrr!) but in summer, with a black 5-gallon bucket or two, plus black lid(s) left out in the sun(7 bucks is about worst case scenario per bucket/lid from Home Depot) plus a shower tent to bring it into later, you can get an absolutely wonderful shower towards afternoon.

Plus you never put anything in them but water, so after, you got a clean bucket for storage, plus lid.  Not the worst thing for a traveler to have. A bucket is useful for everything from water to poop, or trash, and they stack when empty.

It depends on what you are using a shower for; for me:

- I can get clean using a sponge bath.
 - I get clean and feel clean using a solar shower with > 1 gallon of water.
 - clean, refreshed, and enjoyable takes at least an 8 gallon shower.
 - a luxurious shower is 20+ gallons.
 - decadence is a sauna followed by a luxurious shower, then heated towels.

I use a solar shower bag when showering at my rig.  Campground, gym, truck stop, community center shower when available.

Mountaineering taught me I don't need to shower every day; I usually try to shower once a week.  Others don't avoid me.

Dingfelder said:
Still, a 30-ish USD (40?) pump/showerhead combination is commonly sold on Amazon and all it takes is something to hold the hot water.
Have to chime in about these pump/showerhead combos.  Over the years, I've had two fail:  on one, the plastic housing disintegrated (excess heat and time were the killers); the second, the pump failed after a few uses.  Recently, I replaced the pump with a marine $15 marine bilge pump.  Hopefully, it will last.  It sure works well now!

I have two 55 gallon water drums. One is enough but they were used and so cheap I got two. I use my pickup to get water and then transfer it into the other drum in my camper.

For running water I got two small 12 volt submersible pumps. One pump goes in the 55 gallon drum and is wired to a household switch. The pump is connected to 3/8" plastic tubing and the other end of the tubing has a sink sprayer. When I turn on the switch the sink sprayer is pressurized with cold water.

For hot water I just heat a big cauldron of water on the stove. The other pump goes in there and works the same way with a separate switch and spray nozzle. When the water is warm enough I turn down the stove and take my shower.

55 gallon drums (new $100 each from Uline, I found used ones for $12 each)
https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail...sed-Top-Blue?model=S-10757BLU&RootChecked=yes

12 volt pump ($25 each at Princess Auto, sometimes half price)
https://www.princessauto.com/en/12v-200-gph-bilge-pump/product/PA0004270013

3/8" plastic tubing ($0.50/foot in any hardware store)

sink sprayers ($20 each at Home Depot, Lowes,etc)
https://www.rona.ca/en/rinse-quick-hose-and-sprayer-black-6784199

Crazy option for a DIY shower.

https://www.amazon.com/Ironton-Spot...9382&sprefix=pump+sprayer+5+g,aps,158&sr=8-19

Take this. Replace it's nozzle with a water tube with a ball valve and a shower head designed to be hug or clipped to something.

Fill it with hot water, kick on the sprayer, get under the shower, turn the valve, profit.

Might be a decent all in one solution. And if you want something unpowered, there's plenty of pump sprayers out there.

Psyckosama said:
Planet Fitness is your friend. 20 bucks a month to be able to shower at any location in the country, if you have a card they won't give you crap for parking overnight, they have wifi, and all you can eat pizza and bagels once a month.

And I guess you can also work out.

This is what I was planning as well, and yes also for going in for exercise/workouts. I'm not planning a great deal of boondocking, mostly travel in more urban areas where it's likely to have PF, but depending how covid goes it could turn out to be $20 wasted bucks a month.
Although, hopefully they wouldn't charge for the time gyms are closed for access. The gym I was a member of at the time covid started didn't.

Planet Fitness, some, have run off vanlifers attempting to sleep overnight even when they have a membership.

They are 24 hour, but I'm not looking at sleeping in the parking lot.
Besides, most of the PFs I know around here are in locations that don't allow for overnight parking so it may not be PF them self per say.

Think about this if your struggling with a concept. I have tried the solar bags, the battery powered pumps, pressure sprayers, etc. I am now sold on my simple tried and proven shower. I have a shower curtain track on ceiling with sheer curtains that make about a 3' x 3' square.  Sheer curtains hang down, they are not stiff like the vinyl curtains. They are not water  proof but they don't need to be, they only need to intercept  the  splashing. I have the 32" folding dog bath that has 8" walls to stand in.  I heat 1 gallon of water to 110 degF in my aluminum 8 quart pot. I have a square  plastic container  at about 20 ounces with 25 small holes drilled in the bottom. The shower curtain opening is next to my kitchen shelf where I place the pot after heating. Wet down with 1 container by strategically and accurately draining cup on your body head to toe. Now lather up and rinse off from top down. Squeaky clean!! Pour grey water into slop bucket. Let sheer curtains dry and and then "role" them into corner where they store. Fold up shower pan and store until next shower.   You do not need 8 gallons to get clean, using 8 gallons is for fun. I do this at my deer lease also where we have three bathrooms with showers in the main hacienda, I don't even bother walking over to them since I have this in my camper box. You may have to play around with hole size in the cup to suit you if you should try it. Also, 110 degF may be to hot for some.

I am with bagabum I have tried all those contraptions. I occasionally use my weed sprayer shower but I am going to install a regular shower. I am a dirty guy and I need a shower every so often. showers on the road have become pricey. highdesertranger

My new shower/potty tent and battery powerd shower Arrived the day before I went to the hospital. I’m anxious to see how they work. I have such dry skin and my scalp is so dry and full of dandruff that I really have to wash my hair regularly. If the hose with the Little pump on it works I can even use it in the van over a basin to wash my hair. Right now in the rehab hospital I can get a nurse to help me take a bath. Woo hoo.

bagabum said:
....I heat 1 gallon of water to 110 degF in my aluminum 8 quart pot....
I use 2 gallons, & I use 2 plastic dish pans to mix the hot and cold water to temp. Sometimes I dont bother to heat the water. I just use a plastic pint with handle for dipper, nothing fancy.

2 gallons : one gallon for hair wash & rinse, then I use that soapy water to wash the rest, followed by a rinse with the second gallon. 

And I catch the water so I can soak my feet in the basin as well. That is the best part. Second catch pan is a water heater pan, couple old towels for spills. 

I use Dr bronner tea tree soap, very kind to skin and scalp. For buggy areas I used Dr bronners Peppermint soap. 

Some rangers will object to the shower tent as they say you are polluting whatever body of water is nearby. So stealth shower in the van is better than setting up a shower tent in general. Then water the plants or the fire pit.
-crofter

Spaceman Spiff said:
 ....- decadence is a sauna followed by a luxurious shower, then heated towels.....
Where have you found a sauna on the road???? :huh:

In southern AZ we have the Fountain of Youth but that's a hot spring, not the same thing as a sauna.

The last sauna I found was in Montana, altho there used to also be one in Elk Mountain WY years ago.

Many health benefits to sauna on a regular basis.
-crofter