Hot Showers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoney

Reaction score
Hello all, 

I have an external water tank on my van that can double as an outdoor shower when needed. What's a good way to get a hot shower on the road? I was planning on gyms but covid restriction's may make that difficult. Any places that are cheap/free?

Thanks again,

Shoney

Sponge baths are good enough but once in a while I need to wash my long hair. At gym showers I feel rushed by a time limit.. so a truck stop is better for that.

showers on the road are getting downright expensive. that is the main reason I plan on a full size shower in my trailer. 1 year worth of paying for showers once a week will easily pay for it. highdesertranger

Free natural hot springs
Some campgrounds at national, state and county parks. day use fee might be involved as well as the cost of the shower
Municipal recreation facilities such as community centers, pools and such
Homeless shelters

Not a lot of options but a few to keep in mind when the location coincides with your travels.

There are not a lot because of the expense it takes to provide them. Not just the facility and the hot water but also the labor and supplies to clean the showers. It is not cheap or free for anyone  to provide hot showers so those will always be a rarity to find. Dont build your plans around that but enjoy them when you do find them.

At Bullfrog hot showers are free in the post office/laundry/shower building! Part of what makes a National Parks Pass a really good idea.

Check the rates for the states you travel in.

You can take a shower in an Oregon State Park for $2, whether you are camped there or not.

In Washington, if you have a state Discovery Pass ($35/year), you can shower for free in a state park, whether you are camped there or not.

Don't over look county campgrounds either.

I'm happy to pay for a decent shower. I don't want to devote any internal space in my van to one, nor deal with the condensation. When it's warm out, a bucket of warm water and a big sponge is a very pleasant way to get clean.

"You can take a shower in an Oregon State Park for $2, whether you are camped there or not."

I don't know about that. but I have only been to one state park in Oregon and they would not let me in the gate without paying an entrance fee. all I wanted to do is to dump a trash bag and they made me pay day use fees. Oregon for being the green state they like to brag about sure make it hard in some areas to get rid of trash legally.

highdesertranger

I got really good at sponge baths -- just like our ancestors. Every couple of weeks I'll treat myself to a shower.

Heat the water up with your engine coolant through a plated heat exchanger.

I painted my tanks black, amazing how warm they get when they sit in the direct sunlight for a few hours. Saves $12 at Loves Truck Stops  :thumbsup:

highdesertranger said:
"You can take a shower in an Oregon State Park for $2, whether you are camped there or not."

I don't know about that.  but I have only been to one state park in Oregon and they would not let me in the gate without paying an entrance fee.  all I wanted to do is to dump a trash bag and they made me pay day use fees.  Oregon for being the green state they like to brag about sure make it hard in some areas to get rid of trash legally.

highdesertranger

Hmmm, did it all summer at two different parks. Was never asked to pay a day use fee as well.

The parks I used did not have a manned station at the day use area though, just a pay box. I just drove right on through to the campground.

"The parks I used did not have a manned station at the day use area though, just a pay box. I just drove right on through to the campground."

so you were supposed to pay but didn't?

highdesertranger

Good question, I dunno. All I did was take a shower. Didn't use the day use areas at all.

BTW, when I lived in this area, I made use of the showers about twice a week during several summers. We called around to find places with showers, and as I recall, were never told we had to pay a day use fee as well as the shower fee. And were never asked by the park staff to pay a day use fee.

Both in the Columbia Gorge.

Viento about 10 miles west of Hood River, and Memaloose, about 10 miles west of The Dalles.

Memaloose also has a highway rest area.

I believe both campgrounds are now closed for the winter.

highdesertranger said:
showers on the road are getting downright expensive.  that is the main reason I plan on a full size shower in my trailer. 

What will you use for heating water?  Electric point-of-use or LP? Or solar?

Latest posts