Home Depot is hiring

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a year at the Home Depot "Pro" back in 2005, and after my "release" I vowed never to work retail again. :p

In truth is wasn't a bad place to work.  Decent pay, for retail, good benefits and, at the Pro Store at least, knowledgeable coworkers, some of whom were retired contractors.  

If you like helping people and aren't the sort (like many are) to run the moment a customer looks your way, you might enjoy it.  
My biggest complaint was the crazy and unpredictable scheduling that could change at any time and without notice, explanation or apology.

I don't remember ever seeing anyone camping in out parking lots, but maybe it wasn't/isn't allowed in Colma, Ca.

My son works at lowes full time. He said they are hiring a lot more people because sales are up a lot at that store. They want to make sure they keep heading in that direction. They are like a top 100 national store in sales volume. I think it's because they have no or limited competition in the island where they are located. Plus the houses are all old in the area and increasing in value.

A separate company owns the parking lot. People park overnight with no hassle.

If you like helping people and aren't the sort (like many are) to run the moment a customer looks your way, you might enjoy it.

Gee, I thought that's what they were trained to do! ;)

At HD you have the added benefit that the system/culture actually caters to part timers. As a full timer I am limited to the number of schedule exceptions I can list, the number of times I can be late to work before I get in trouble, etc.

Part timers, especially those with another part time job, have total schedule freedom (hey, I'm only available for 4 hours in the mornings and not at all on weekends). When the scheduling system DOES put you down for a shift you don't want, there's almost no push back if you call in with some 'issue' that keeps you away. Just don't blow them off without calling in.

Dhawktx-- so guess you need to trust whomever you call will not burn you by saying you did not call. And keeping warnings secret. Some managers game the system.

You always speak to the Manager on Duty when calling in for any reason. They have too much to do to worry about a once or twice situation. If you have issues every week, yeah they'll start keeping tabs on you. As far as gaming the system - that is cyclic. Managers who do that soon get too obvious and are reprimanded or replaced when their stores start performing badly. In that sense Associates have a lot of pull. We have 'Voice of the Associate' surveys every year where you can 'anonymously' put in your opinions and concerns. You have to couch them in such a way that they can't be traced back to you via demographics, but they DO pay attention to the VOA at Corporate. It just takes a year or two to make change happen in any single store. If you have too much difficulty in one store, you can transfer to another.

Associates don't get a company discount at HD and they have a lame discount market place where only mid level or better employees can really afford the stuff.