Hitch-mounted Cargo Carrier

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myway_1

Reaction score
If I am to live out of a car, it would be a great advantage to haul some of my stuff outside of the vehicle.

I looked into a roof-top carrier, but I don't want to reduce my gas mileage.

I considered pulling a tiny trailer, but don't want the hassle.

What about a hitch-mounted cargo carrier? Do any of you have experience with one of those? If I were to get an extremely aerodynamic vehicle like a Prius, I wonder if it would reduce my gas mileage.

My_way1,

I have pondered the same question having a Prius and I have managed to stay away from either. The Prius forum may have better feedback on mpg impact.

If I was to have a need for space I would opt for the Thule roof clamshell that opens from either side, if they make one for the Prius.

The reason for this is that the back of my Pius hatch is a very nice work space. It's how I normally access my fridge and storage under the rear floor by the spare tire. I often sit on the back hatch area. A hitch mounted anything would be in my way everyday and I think it would get old.

Brent

[email protected]

Oberneldon said:
My_way1,

I have pondered the same question having a Prius and I have managed to stay away from either.  The Prius forum may have better feedback on mpg impact.  

If I was to have a need for space I would opt for the Thule roof clamshell that opens from either side, if they make one for the Prius.  

The reason for this is that the back of my Pius hatch is a very nice work space.  It's how I normally access my fridge and storage under the rear floor by the spare tire.  I often sit on the back hatch area.  A hitch mounted anything would be in my way everyday and I think it would get old.

Brent

[email protected]
They make a swing-away version but I only saw those for a Class II receiver hitch. Apparently small cars are limited to a Class I receiver hitch

Hi, yes - I also don't timber seeing a small swing-away. Also remember the low clearance of the vehicle and think about the overhang with the angle of departure. There are some steep drainage ditches that could scrape or hang on

Brent

Optimistic Paranoid said:
If by Class 1 you mean those silly 1 1/4 " receivers, they make adapters to bump them up to 2 ".

http://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Adapter...1-6&keywords=class+1+to+class+3+hitch+adapter

Just make sure you keep the weight down to what the Class 1 is rated for.

Regards
John

This also moves them farther to the rear giving what is put in it more leverage to make the car squat more.  This also complicates entering and leaving anywhere there is a dip (gutter) or a sharp rise.  

You have seen the scrapes in the road around some filling stations and such haven't you?  Just putting the trailer hitch (unloaded hitch) on the back of the Roadtrek causes the hitch to scrape in some places that the Roadtrek normally doesn't (driveway).

Class I and II hitches are 1 1/4". Class III are 2"

Accessories that are rated for a Class II hitch won't work with a Class I hitch even though they are both 1 1/4". The holes won't line up.

So you'd have to be sure that any adapter is specifically for a Class I hitch. Or you can cut a bit off of the end of Class II accessory to make it fit.

But I'd be leery putting any more weight than the Class I hitch is rated for if your vehicle is limited to a Class I hitch for fear that the connection point on the vehicle might bend. Problem is once you subtract the weight of the cargo rack frame and box or basket you won't have much capacity left for your cargo. Main use would be for light, bulky things. And with a car you'd need need a riser, that increased leverage and thus reduces safe cargo weight.

do they even make a hitch for a Prius? if the do what is the tow rating on a Prius? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
do they even make a hitch for a Prius?  if the do what is the tow rating on a Prius?  highdesertranger

You can put a Class I hitch on a Prius, but just for a rack, not for towing. Tongue weight limit for Class I hitch is 200 pounds. Tongue weight for a Class II hitch is 300 pounds. The swing away cargo carrier I am looking at has a max cargo weight of 175 pounds with a Class II hitch, so I suppose it would be 75 pounds if you tried to use it with a Class I hitch.

On my 2009 Honda CR-V, I have a rooftop and hitch carrier.  The rooftop is a Yakima Skybox 16 and the hitch is a Thule 665C Transporter.  My standard/EPA highway mpg is 27 with no carrier on the car and driving up to 73 mph.  With one or both carriers on the car and on, I get 25 mpg and drive around 70 mph on the interstates, 60 on highways.  I have attached a photo of my car with the carriers attached.  The hitch carrier has a pin that I can take out and it will shift backward so I can open the back hatch easily.

Attachments

• IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    566.4 KB
cortttt said:

910rnG83zlL._SL1500_.jpg

Is your  license plate mounted on the carrier and if so how do you get away without having a license plate light.

another problem I foresee with that soft carrier, if you travel desert off highway, dirt is going to get between the carrier and the paint. this will act like sandpaper on your paint. when the bras became popular people who drove off highway soon learned the hard way what I am talking about. highdesertranger

One note I'll add. DON'T BLOCK THE LICENSE PLATE. The local and state gendarmes kind of want to run your plate seeing if you have warrants and such I had a class 3 and so got a rear carrier (500 lbs limit) and I got a knock on my door (From a state cop) that "You cannot block the plate from being viewed" so.....

Just remember to not block it....

J
Hi all. Hmmmm Wal Mart has a 2" adapter that willfully raise your cargo carrier straight up when nothing is stored on it. Will help your clearance problems . Cost me $18 .HoboJoe

Hi all - I wish I had written it down at the Summer RTR when Bob spoke about this: What's the brand/model of hitch-mount, swing-out cargo carrier Bob uses? I recall it was fairly inexpensive. Thx :)

VanGuy6678 said:
Hi all - I wish I had written it down at the Summer RTR when Bob spoke about this: What's the brand/model of hitch-mount, swing-out cargo carrier Bob uses? I recall it was fairly inexpensive. Thx :)

Here's the link to the carrier that both Bob and I are using:

https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-frames

They aren't cheap as compared to something you can get from HF but they are very, very well built.

We each bought only the frame (well I bought the hitch lock too) and then added our own boxes. You can buy  a complete box and hitch from them and they look wonderful - I've seen them up close in person, but they are kinda expensive IMO.

I added the same Husky Tradesman box that Bob already had on his fixed carrier. It's about $70 at Home Depot. After I had it all mounted, I found much nicer ones made of diamond plate at Tractor Supply. The Husky box is deep enough that everything is three layers deep in it and it doesn't take all the widthwise space that I have available on the back of the van. The diamond plate one I saw was shallower but longer so I wouldn't always be digging for stuff in the box and I'd be able to strap my 10'x10 shade canopy on the top.

I just ordered the Stowaway 2 Max with swing hitch today.  A couple members of my family have them and really like them.  As far as rear ground clearance the stowaway hitches angle up to help with this.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.9 KB